How long to upgrade top end glass?

SWOHTR

WKR
I'm on the verge of ordering SLCs in 10x42 (or, my wife is for me, as a graduation/anniversary/father's day gift). Obviously, it's a big purchase that can't be taken lightly. For those who have had top end glass for a while, how long have you owned a pair before "needing" or wanting to upgrade it, and for what reasons? Ie, if I buy an set of 10x42 now, should I expect to have/want to upgrade in 5, 10, etc. years? I'm really looking for a set that would last 20+ years. I'm unsure if that's reasonable or not.

My alternate idea was to buy something mid-range (Leupold BX4) and figure on upgrading sometime in the distant future. Bonus is that Leupold offers the MIL/LE program and their Gold Ring items are made in the states. Through their MIL/LE program I can get BX4s, GR 20-40x spotter, and VX5 scope for a little more than one set of SLCs. Yes, I understand Leupold is not "alpha," however I don't want to drop $1800 on SLCs and in less than ten years be wanting/needing to upgrade.

Intended use is primarily hunting, although I can see carrying them if/while standing deck watch in the Navy (our standard issue porro-prism clunkers are garbage). I'm not a sheep hunter. Deer and elk are my primary targets.

If you upgraded from one configuration to another (e.g. 10x42 to 10x50), I'd still appreciate your answer just please state that the reason you upgraded was (or was not) because of product configuration.

Thanks,

Joe

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the verge of ordering SLCs in 10x42 (or, my wife is for me, as a graduation/anniversary/father's day gift). Obviously, it's a big purchase that can't be taken lightly. For those who have had top end glass for a while, how long have you owned a pair before "needing" or wanting to upgrade it, and for what reasons? Ie, if I buy an set of 10x42 now, should I expect to have/want to upgrade in 5, 10, etc. years? I'm really looking for a set that would last 20+ years. I'm unsure if that's reasonable or not.

My alternate idea was to buy something mid-range (Leupold BX4) and figure on upgrading sometime in the distant future. Bonus is that Leupold offers the MIL/LE program and their Gold Ring items are made in the states. Through their MIL/LE program I can get BX4s, GR 20-40x spotter, and VX5 scope for a little more than one set of SLCs. Yes, I understand Leupold is not "alpha," however I don't want to drop $1800 on SLCs and in less than ten years be wanting/needing to upgrade.

Intended use is primarily hunting, although I can see carrying them if/while standing deck watch in the Navy (our standard issue porro-prism clunkers are garbage). I'm not a sheep hunter. Deer and elk are my primary targets.

If you upgraded from one configuration to another (e.g. 10x42 to 10x50), I'd still appreciate your answer just please state that the reason you upgraded was (or was not) because of product configuration.

Thanks,

Joe

They last a long time. My buddy with Leupolds always reaches for my SLC's once we spot something. Get it done right the first time and they will last you a very long time. I think we are to the point where top end optics are not going to see any serious improvements anytime soon.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
You can buy whatever you want, but you'll always wonder about the next step up. If you're like me, after years of hunting, you'll have paid for a set of the best glass, but not own it. What I'm trying to say, is buy once cry once. I bought several sets of binos over the years, with a combined value well over the good stuff, and I was still stuck with lesser glass. So I finally just bit the bullet and bought some SLC 15x56 HD binos. I was so surprised with the quality of the binos, I went and ordered an ATS 65 HD spotter. I wish I would have done it a long time ago. As far as how long these will last me before I want the newest.................... who knows? Who knows what they'll have in 10 years from now. But I know when that time comes, I'll get awesome resale compared to the old glass I used to use. So I'm not too worried about it.

robie

WKR
Quality glass doesn't go bad. It isn't a piece of tech that stops working. Amazing glass today will be amazing glass in 20 years. Save your self some money and look for a used set.

Guys sell them on here all the time or on eBay. No shortage of people need some extra money and dump their binos first.

I've got 10x42 swaros with swarovision and never once looked through them thinking they just aren't good enough. I've looked through the latest and thought those are nice as well.

Your SLCs will never go bad or not be amazing but there could be something new that comes out which is a bit nicer. That doesn't change the quality of what you have in hand.

I won't be upgrading my 10x42's but I could at some point add 15x56's.

Looks like on eBay a used set of SLC 10x42's go from $900-$1200. Not bad compared to $1800 new.

Boreal

WKR
I've got a pair of Zeiss 10x40 B/GA T that still serve as my primary glass. I just can't get myself to spend so much money on a new set when the resolution improvement is hardly noticeable. The one thing that might drive me to do it is light transmission, and dawn/dusk acuity. Damn it all, but eyes seem to get old fast.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Good deal, thanks for the responses. The "bragging rights at camp" comment actually made me laugh and will probably push me in that direction. Thanks for answering the questions about if/when you decide to upgrade and why.

Also like what was said, I'm not sure what big innovations can be made, besides maybe bulk.

Beendare

WKR
OP, heres a story for ya.

My 24 yr old Swaro SLC's were getting a little tight to adjust.....Swaro said send them in for free....lens good but I've used those binos a lot...outer armoring getting bad too.

They got them and said they would fix for free...but if I wanted to upgrade its $175...a no brainer. They sent me a brand spanking new bino.

Don't talk yourself out of a good bino...they are worth it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I still have my first pair of SLCs from 2002 and if I was not in the review hunting industry game I would still probably be using them and spotting the same animals I do with the new hot rods. SLCs are truly a great pair of binoculars that you would not regret buying in ten or even twenty years IMO

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
I bought the 10x42 slc's 11 years ago so i'm in a little more than $100 per year. I would leave my rifle home before them. I will by another pair- same ones, only so both my son's can have nice hand-me-downs!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep. My 2001 Zeiss spotter still makes me smile every time I put it on a tripod. And I compare it enough with friends and guides to know if I was missing out. They don’t go bad.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Thanks for the input. Yes, I know and understand the buy quality once idea. Just wasn't sure of the "life expectancy" was any different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Thanks for the input. Yes, I know and understand the buy quality once idea. Just wasn't sure of the "life expectancy" was any different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you go to one of the birder forums it isn't uncommon to see many guys with 20+ years with swaros. It's impressive how quality stands the test of time.

Swaro stands by their product now and 20 years from now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I bought a set of Swaro 10x42 EL in 2002 or 2003. My wife kept complaining when they were off hunting with me, so I bought a pair of Swarovision 10x42 ELs in 2013 or so and gave her the old pair. The SV are better than the old pair, but I'd be happy to hunt with the 15 year olds. I think you are buying lifetime performance, but I also believe that new materials, manufacturing processes, coatings, etc will lead to improvements, especially over a 15 or 20 year period. Just the way it is. Meanwhile, get the best and enjoy them, upgrade if there is a significant advancement in technology, etc. Good luck with your new Swaros!

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
I've had a lot of nice glass over the years and at this point use either my swaro EL SV 8.5x42 or my geovid 10x42's. I don't really look at new binos anymore as the ones I have are so good that any slight improvement in view, getting the "next best thing" would likely not make a difference in the field.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
I finally bit the bullet and bought a new pair of SLC HD 10x42. First pair of alpha glass and a life long investment is how I see it, exspecially with Swaro warrenty. I’m happy with my purchase and glass like that doesn’t wear out.

Can't add much to whats already been stated here. I bought some SLC's in 2005. They have been many places and not abused, but used in all types of circumstances. Everything was working fine but I thought I would send them in for a cleaning and check up. They returned in less than two weeks with a laundry list of things replaced including the outer armor. All with no charge. Buy with confidence and appreciate the quality long after you forget the price.