Viper hs-t vs vx3i

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
My scope broke and I need one by this weekend. I am looking at the vortex viper hst 4-16x44 or leupold vx3i 4.5-14 cds. What would be the more reliable scope tracking wise. This will be going on a savage 11 in 7mm-08 for shooting out to 700 yards or so. Thanks for any advice!

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
We have the vx3i 4.5-14 as well as the HST, but its a 6-24x50. Some people have commented that the Leupolds do not track as well as Vortex. I have a couple Leupolds and have used them repeatedly dialing out to 1200 yards and every space between, and have not had a problem. I also have never had a problem with my HST returning to zero.

Really, I see these two scopes optimized for two different roles. The HST has nicer and more positive click turrets. It has a zero stop as well as a rev counter. It's fairly heavy. I use mine on a range rifle for shooting long range. The glass is okay, but to my eyes, suffers noticeably as you hit the top mags. It's fine for shooting steel in good light, but I don't care for it in low light when my poor eyes start to really need some help!

The Leupold CDS system is low profile and nice, and as I said, I have never personally had a problem with it returning to zero and it has tracked well. However, there is no zero stop, no rev counter. So you better pay attention. We have also had them get bumped off zero when pack hunting, I wish they would offer a lock as they do on the VX5 and 6 series. I really like locks on my hunting scopes.

However, the scope is really bright and clear. The glass is definitely better than my HST, it handles flare much better, is better in low light, is more crisp etc. all the way to the end...I like the VX3i at 14 better than I like my 6-24 HST at 14. The scope is also very light and trim, and if you get the 30mm version, it has something like 108 MOA of elevation, which is really cool, no 20 MOA rail needed. My HST only has 65 IIRC, the 4-16 may be different though.

So I would say it depends what you want to do with them. I put the HST on a range rifle because I like the power range, the bigger eyepiece view, wanted the zero locks and rev counter, and weight and low light performance did not matter.....put the Leupold on a hunting rifle to keep the weight down and to do well when light was poor.

But definitely, look through them before you buy, everyone sees differently.

As to the Razor...don't own one so I really can't say. I do have an HD5, which can be found cheaply at the moment, and mine has turret locks, tracks perfectly and is much better than my HST in clarity, handling flare, and low light....it also has more elevation...mine has 75 MOA IIRC. Don't much care for the zero lock system though, but it is fine for a hunting rifle. It's not as light as the Leupold though and I am not sure how their CS is, where Leupold and Vortex have always been great.

If you can find a pre-HD VX 6, that one is better than all of the above, and other than weight, hits all the points for me if you get it with the two turn locks (which can be added quite cheaply afterward). My understanding is that the glass on the HD and non HD is equal, but the HD ones are pretty pricey as they come with some other bells and whistles.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Leupold hand down. FWIW I wouldn't put a Vortex less than a razor on a gun I planned on hunting with tho.. To many have problems and their "Best Warranty in the business" gets utilized far to often.

OP
S

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Alright thanks guys! I went with the vx3i. This is a light weight hunting rifle. I am happy to hear good reports on tracking