Rifle scopes......ugh!!!!

I have researched this forum, looked at scopes online and in stores over the past month until my eyes started to bleed!!
It is unbelievably difficult to figure out which one I want to spend my money on!!!

I am in the max $1500-$1800 range for a scope for my new Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 creedmoor.

My max distance for shooting....now...is 400-500 yards. I plan on taking a long range shooting class this summer though so I would like a scope capable of further ranges for that. This is going to be a pack rifle so would like to stay on the lighter side.

My biggest frustration while looking at scopes is reticle. There are so many out there....and so many I do not like. My favorite so far is the reticle on the Nightforce SHV F1...but that scope is 30 oz which is heavier than I want to go for this rifle. Right now I am leaning towards the Leupold VX6-HD in 3-18-x50 with the TMOA reticle. I am also REALLY considering preordering the new Maven scope after reading Ryans review. Also waiting on a good review of the new Nikon FX1000 SF.

I also would like to stick with a 30 mm tube as I have had a really hard time finding precision match rings in 1 in.

I know..I know.....this scope question has been asked a TRILLION times.........but I am at a loss. I have this pretty prom date sitting in the safe with no dress......

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
When you draw a line in the sand that you are going to support an iconic US manufacturer and employer the choice becomes easy......

OP
Ironmerganser
I am sorta liking the Z5....so for a 1" tube scope......what rings? I have an xtreme hardcore picatinny base.

I have a Z5 BT with the 4W reticle on my .300WSM that is good out to 700 yards before maxing the set up. Putting another one on a 6.5CM that is being built. Will have it next month for a 2 day precision course at FTW/SAAM. Buddy has the Leupold VX-6 which is also a really nice set up for the money. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Both my custom rifles came set up with Talley rings so I stick with those. Rock solid.

R H Clark

FNG
Personally,I wouldn't trust either a Leupold or a Swaro Z5 for a bunch of turret twisting, even though I own and hunt with both.

If you want something that will hold up to a lot of turret twisting look at the 3-9X42 SWFA, Bushnell LRHS,or Nightforce NXS. the SWFA comes in the lightest at 19 ounces but the 2.5-10X42 NXS offers an illuminated reticle and is just an ounce heavier.

You don't really have to have an ultra reliable turret twister for hunting but if you want to start playing at longer ranges, and taking classes, you will want one.

Muttly

WKR
Screw it, get a 3-9x42 SWFA mil quad for 400-450 used, at around 21 ounces, slap it on, try it out, sell it for 400-450 if you don't like it.
And who knows, you just might like it..

stevevan

WKR
Swaro Z5 works great for me. 3-18x. Good magnification range, bearable wt., in your price range, excellent glass. It's reliable for we hunters. I won't twist the dial enough in a my lifetime to wear it out to the point where my confidence in it will falter. I use Seekins 1" rings on a picatinny rail.