50mm spotting scope options

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at picking up a scope in the near future. Main use would be at the range, anywhere from 50-300metres, and hiking,scouting, and hunting deer and bears.

Price is definitely an issue, Canadian roller sucks.
Have been looking into the Minox md50 and the hawke endurance.
Anyone have any experience with these? Or scopes in similar price range?
Ideally I would like Nikon but they are just to expensive.

Thanks

Looking at picking up a scope in the near future. Main use would be at the range, anywhere from 50-300metres, and hiking,scouting, and hunting deer and bears.

Price is definitely an issue, Canadian roller sucks.
Have been looking into the Minox md50 and the hawke endurance.
Anyone have any experience with these? Or scopes in similar price range?
Ideally I would like Nikon but they are just to expensive.

Thanks
I really like my minox md50. If I had the coin I would get the new kowa though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Gonewest

WKR
I really like my minox md50. If I had the coin I would get the new kowa though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a Kowa TSN-501 I’d be willing to sell. It’s pretty much brand new. Just trying to fund some other gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be buying a Vortex Razer 11-33 or a Kowa. People seem to really like both. Realize that you're range is going to be limited to inside 3 miles from everything I've heard (which is why I went with a 65mm Vortex). Maybe that's fine with you. Another option is a 15x bino. Not sure how much more the 55mm is going to give you versus the bigger bino and there's a lot of benefits to the bino.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the opticron MM4 12-36x50mm I have. It is really lightweight and great optics.

OP
F

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
3 miles is fine for me, I think. Even a used razor is slightly out of my price range, unless I can find one on this side of the border for about 500can. That’s pretty much my budget.

The kowa tsn501 seems good, no one locally sells them though. Are they durable? I would also like to find out more about the hawke 50mm ed, but not much out there.
Is a spotter in this price range even viable? Starting to feel like spotters are just to much for me.

50mm razors go on the classifieds quite frequently for right around $500. I've seen them go as low as $475, but typically are sold right around $500. If you are patient, you could probably wait a week or two and find one.

mcseal2

WKR
The Nikon ED50 is still a good option if you can find a used one in your price range.

OP
F

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info so far.

I may have found a Nikon ed50 in my price range. Just have till wait for my bonus to come in may.
Now I’m staring to question how useful a 50mm spotter will be. Do they gather enough light to make it worth carrying it or will I just wish I had a bigger lense?
Why is buying stuff so hard?

dotman

WKR
50mm razors go on the classifieds quite frequently for right around $500. I've seen them go as low as $475, but typically are sold right around $500. If you are patient, you could probably wait a week or two and find one.

$500USD is more then $500CAN.

dotman

WKR
Thanks for the info so far.

I may have found a Nikon ed50 in my price range. Just have till wait for my bonus to come in may.
Now I’m staring to question how useful a 50mm spotter will be. Do they gather enough light to make it worth carrying it or will I just wish I had a bigger lense?
Why is buying stuff so hard?

I think they are worth it if you get a quality one, large spotters are bulky and weigh more and many in the end don’t pack them around. The Minox md50 was my first spotter and it was worth having, it isn’t the best but it gets the job done.

The little Kowa 501 is what I would give a shot if I was in your shoes, while it will not be close to the 55mm Kowa makes great optics and I wouldn’t be shocked if it is better then the minox. Try to buy one used off Rokslide if you can. In the end only you can say if a 50mm is worth it to you but if not hunting sheep or goat a 50mm will work.

I’ve had 50, 65, 80 in that order, I’m back down to a 55 now.

OP
F

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good

Hopefully this deal works out and it doesn’t sell. If it does I may just spring for the kowa 60mm plus an eyepiece, and just lie about how much it cost.