Vortex razor Spotting scope 85mm or 65mm?

BigSaby

FNG
Going to western Montana for my first sept archery elk hunt. Need some advice as to which spotting scope to go with. Vortex razor 65 mm or 85 mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BigSaby

BigSaby

FNG
Also, any suggestions on a knife(s)??

What type of area and hunt are you doing? high country or low? backpack or truck camping? lots of factors

OP
BigSaby

BigSaby

FNG
Going on a guided hunt in the bitter root nat’l forest area. High country and backpacking.

mt100gr.

WKR
Honestly, in SW MT we never carry a spotting scope for archery elk. We are usually hunting timber and if you find them, it's rarely a "look 'm over" sort of deal. If there's a legal bull, its game on!

I'm not saying don't get one if all of your other gear is in order, but I'd discuss it with your outfitter and try to get a feel for how much it might get used.

If you do buy one, I'd get the lighter 65mm because elk are heavy and they are usually found by hiking a lot of miles.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In the Bitterroot you can use 8x binos and be good. Narrows down who your outfitter is since there's only a couple of outfitter licenses in that area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with what has been said so far. But, if you are trying to fuel an itch and want new gear:
-Binos on a tripod vs free hand is night and day difference. There have been a number of areas in Montana where after the first day of carrying a 65mm spotter around and not using it, I left it back at camp.
-65 vs 80mm: unless your a hard core inch counter, with a 65mm you are going to be able to tell if something is a shooter at distances that are likely to surprise you.
-Knife: Havalons are tough to beat for weight savings, sharpness and efficiency for skinning and deboning. With that said, I always like to have an additional knife with some backbone back at camp.

BishopB7

FNG
I know you mentioned 65 and 80mm scopes, and I'm not sure how sold you are on those sizes, but for most of my archery elk and deer hunting I've been using the Razor Hd 50mm. Awesome little compact scope for backcountry hunting where all ounces count. I've never had to decide whether I'll need it or not because of the weight. Packs quite a punch for a 50mm. In real tight country packing around something you can see the next galaxy with is only good for counting the ticks on their back. Usually it's my binos and a tripod. Food for thought I guess.

A vote for the 65mm. I have one and love it. 85mm scopes are kind of a beast and many don't bring those into the backcountry. I think a 50mm doesn't do enough, just a little more than binos. The ability to search for miles and miles with a spotter is really valuable to me though you'll have to check to make sure the area is open enough for long-distance glassing. I've found the 65mm tops out at 4.5 miles with my eyes for reference.

NoWiser

WKR
I wouldn't waste the money and ounces for a spotting scope on an archery elk hunt.

davsco

WKR
i just justified the purchase of the vortex 20-60x85 razor hd for two things, range time/PRS matches, and my upcoming fall first elk hunt. it's pretty big and heavy and i'm not looking forward to schlepping it around plus tripod in the mountains, but hopefully that is nothing in comparison to the elk meat i'm hopeful to be schlepping out of the forest. if i get out there and find it's not needed or helpful, will leave it in the truck the next four days...

Sturgeon

WKR
Did your guide recommend bringing a spotting scope? I personally only use binoculars, but I'm not picky about what I'm going after.

mmac

WKR
I am sure more experienced people will speak up, but I got the same spotter in the 85 and after lugging it around I wish I got a smaller one. I am not at the point where exact size matters that much to me.

casey58

FNG
For archery I wouldn't pack one but I own the 65, I'm not an inch counter I only need to know if it's legal. For me the game changer to my glassing was binos on a tripod with a micro pan head from outdoorsmans.

Coming from someone who has spent a fair amount of time hunting the general area, I would leave the spotter at home for archery elk. It's not like a special draw unit where you may be counting inches to determine the score on a bull. If you get a chance to arrow a legal bull you should take it.

You will likely spend some time glassing into burns, and the rest of the time calling in thicker timber. Your goal will be simply locating elk and determining if there's a bull in the group, not counting inches. You also won't be glassing miles away in open country. 8x or 10x binos on a tripod will be all you need for this.

CC

FNG
If your looking to purchase a spotter I would look at the 65mm. I have one and have used mainly on deer hunts here and it works well. Even that feels to heavy and would consider a 50mm. That being said, I generally leave the spotter at home. Do you have a good tripod, head and Bino adapter? Spend your money there first. You will be amazed how much more game you with spot with Bino's on a tripod. Seem like everyone I take along with me gets tired of glassing where I keep at it on the tripod. With a more stable rest I generally spot game before others. I have spotted bulls over 2 miles away close to dark with just bino's and they weren't big bulls either. If you have never tried this before you will be amazed at the difference. I live in more open country than what Ridge Ghost does, but even still the Spotter stays home. Good Luck this fall!

Totoro

WKR
I have and use both for different scenarios.

My 2 cents, get the 65mm so you can do your own spotting and support your own efforts.

Or run a bino/tripod combo and let your guide field judge the animal he thinks you should shoot.

The 65mm will weigh less if you plan on packing in and out.

For the style of hunting I like to do, the 85mm gets packed and used the most.

To each his own!