Vortex Viper HST

satchamo

WKR
Finishing up a build on my first long(ish) range huntjng rifle in 7RM. I'm looking for a not overly heavy, exposed windage and elevation, high magnification option that won't break the bank. Thus I'm pretty well settled on the HST line.

This will be my first exposed dials long range scope so I don't have my expertise in this realm.What are your guys thoughts/opinions of the HST line? Also what magnification range do you recommend for a hunting rifle but also capable of stretching to 1000 on targets? If there are better options for a comparable price point, don't hesitate to tell me.

I am in the same place you are. I have a .300 WM that I need to get a quality scope on. As of right now I have a scope that can take me out to the 1K mark, but it doesn't have a few options I think are necessary for a long range gun. First thing being the ranges. I went back and forth on this one, finally settling on 4x16x50. I feel this will allow me to use my rifle to its max extent, while not having more than I need. Second option I feel is very important is zero stop. I currently do not have this option and feel it is almost as important as the first option. It is crazy difficult to remember exactly where my zero starts and then have to remember the clicks to get back down the "tree" if needed. So after reading and talking to folks and really thinking about my budget I'm going to go with the Nikon Black series scopes. There are better out there, and better warrantees too, but for the price, options and availability its the scope for me. Hope this helps.

Adam

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
The HST scope is a nice compromise for the guy that wants to do almost everything with his rifle.

Pick the 4-16x44 for a hunting rifle or the 6-24x50 for long range target shooting. The 4-16 is far more comfortable for carrying around all day and it will allow you to shoot long distance if all you want to do is ring steel or paper without actually trying to compete for score. I've got a Viper PST Gen II and a Vortex Razor HD, the PST is for hunting and the Razor is for long range shooting.

Another scope series to check out are the Sig Sauer Whiskey models, they are less expensive for an equivalent model and they don't scrimp on quality.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Been through this same decision making process, shoot a longer range 300 for both targets and hunting, and have an HST, so hopefully can share some helpful thoughts on this within your general price range.

I had the HST on a hunting rifle and moved it to a target rifle. Good things about it....tracks true, clicks are really positive, while heavy, there are heavier choices out there, functional zero stop. I like the reticle on mine too, and the price was reasonable. However, for a hunting scope, I was not exactly thrilled. Mine is the 6-24, and past 18, clarity and brightness really start to suffer. Past 20 or so, I was not too pleased. Daytime shots at steel out to 1125, works like a champ. But when the sun starts to fall, it does not handle flare well at all and the limits of the optics show, even at lower mags.

Another thing to think about on a hunting rifle, I like locks on the turrets. I have had them get bumped before as we bombed around, it was on my son's VX3i. It lacks a zero stop, so that was especially uncool. Other than that, I like the 3i better than the HST...clearer, brighter, and for us, has tracked well all the way out to 1200 yards and everything in between. If you get the 30mm version, it has 108ish MOA in elevation, and it is also very light. The only thing I don't like is the no zero stop no lock turrets.

I have had a couple Nikons. One was an old Monarch. Really, it's too old to compare to these, but it served me well enough. More recently, my son had a promaster 5....it was okay, but exhibited terrible veiling flare at end of day conditions and did not track well at all. I can't say how the new black series do though.

One scope you might want to consider, and they can be had cheaply at this point, is the Zeiss HD5 series. I have a 3-15 with locking turrets that I have used on hunting guns and shot out to 1125 yards. Tracks well, turrets lock, has more elevation than my 6-24 HST, and even though mine is a 42mm, is much better at 15x in low light than the HST was at 15, which is surprising as that is middle of the range for the HST, top for the HD5. But especially in low light, my HD5 beat my HST in every way in terms of clarity and brightness. Downside, it's 1" but it still beats my 30mm HST in travel...73 MOA vs 68 IIRC....the zero lock....it only allows one turn which is 18 MOA IIRC....when it is installed. And the turrets don't move up when you turn them, so you can get lost easily if you remove the zero stop. The turrets do lock to preclude accidental changes, but their zero lock is limiting when you want to shoot very long. Other than that, nice scope, and as they are on closeout, can be had cheap right now and they are lighter than my HST.

Best scope I own is a Leupold VX6 (pre HD version, but I am told glass is the same). Had mine retrofitted with 2 turn locking turrets...so I can get 39 MOA and never get lost...and turrets never get bumped accidentally. The VX6 is significantly brighter and clearer than my HD5. Mine has tracked perfectly out to 1200 yards and back. Weight is about the same as the HD 5 and mine has 83 MOA of adjustment. Oh, and you can get firedot or full illuminated reticles, with lots of custom options from Leupold for not much money. If you can find an older vx6, it might be within your price range. Even if it does not have locking turrets, Leupold will put them on for not much money and you can also get whatever reticle you want within reason (can't add illuminated to non illuminated scopes, for example). Failing finding one of these, you might see if you can stretch to a VX5. Every bit as good, I am told, just a 5x erector instead. I have seen some deals on these around.

I am sure others will chime in with some alternates for you to consider. In terms of shooting long, we shoot at 1k plus with scopes as low as 14.5 power and as high as 24. I like more mag because I am older but not even I need 24, my son shoots just fine at 15ish. More important than super high mag is quality glass in my opinion..within reason of course. For the low end, I usto always try to get 3 or under....but find that I never hardly use anything under 4, and could probably get by just fine with 5 or even 6. The only time I want lower is when I am chasing boars at spitting distance, but even there, 4 works fine for me as I shoot with both eyes open. So I would say anything from a 3-15 to probably a 5-25 in range would work fine, at least for me. Ideal is probably the 3-18 or 4-24, depending on where you hunt and how. HTH.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Thanks for the replies here guys. I ended up going with the 4-16 HST. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet unfortunately but my initial impressions are positive!

cgcox90

FNG
Thanks for the replies here guys. I ended up going with the 4-16 HST. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet unfortunately but my initial impressions are positive!

I'm looking at grabbing that scope as well. Looks like you've had some time (and seasons) with it, any feedback?