15x binoculars or spotting scope

sparetime

FNG
I'm trying to figure out optics for elk hunting. We typically glass for elk and then put on a stalk. I spent quite a bit of time last year looking through a budget/borrowed spotting scope and wasn't impressed. Some of the distances can be 3+ miles.

Would you spend good money on a set of 15x binoculars or get a spotting scope first? assuming the tripod would be the same with either one? My budget can go as high as needed to get good quality glass, but I don't really like spending money just for a the sake of spending money.

What other questions do I need to answer to help make recommendations?

I have a 65mm spotter and love to glass 2-4 miles often on greater than 20x magnification. I'd go with the spotter because I really think if you're in big country that can be glassed, you'll be limited with the 15x binos.

My spotter is a Vortex Viper and I experience basically zero eye strain on it. I don't know why I would want a 15x bino.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm trying to figure out optics for elk hunting. We typically glass for elk and then put on a stalk. I spent quite a bit of time last year looking through a budget/borrowed spotting scope and wasn't impressed. Some of the distances can be 3+ miles.

Would you spend good money on a set of 15x binoculars or get a spotting scope first? assuming the tripod would be the same with either one? My budget can go as high as needed to get good quality glass, but I don't really like spending money just for a the sake of spending money.

What other questions do I need to answer to help make recommendations?

Looking at that distance you're going to want the Swarovski 85mm spotting scope with a BTX module. That is the top of the line when it comes to glass. The clarity and distance you will have with that its unbelievable. The BTX is a double eye piece so its like having binoculars attached to an 85mm. You'll have great field of view and you can look through it for hours and not get a headache and the eyes wont hurt. It is pricy that's for sure but it is a lifetime investment. I know people who have had there Swarovski for 15 years and still love them. If that's something that you aren't looking to haul around maybe even a pair of the SLC 15x56s. They are a very popular optic right now just because of the fact that you have a wide field of view while still having the clarity at a 2-3 mile range.

mcseal2

WKR
I personally feel like I can get away with less of a spotter on elk. I hunt late season with a rifle when I elk hunt so I'm mainly looking for a bull without many broken points that has a decent frame, I am not trying to tell a 320 bull from a 340 bull. I don't know that I've ever needed to evaluate one at more than a couple miles either.

For that I use my Leica 10x binos for finding bulls and a small spotter for evaluating them. I have used a Nikon ED50 spotter on a cheap tripod in the past with no complaints. I keep becoming more addicted to having my binos on a tripod though so I'll likely pack my Promaster tripod with the Outdoorsmans head next time. I also purchased a Kowa 55mm spotter that will likely take the place of the ED50 for a few more ounces. I really like the Kowa. It has a small field of view but it's optically excellent. I replaced a Swaro STM65 non HD spotter with it and consider the Kowa better optically.

I have and love Swaro 15x binos. For trying to pick country apart for deer they are better than anything I've tried. Part of the reason I got the lighter Kowa spotter is that I almost never look for game with a spotter when I have the 15's along, I only use the spotter to evaluate game I've found with the 15's at long distance. Elk are easier for me to spot with their color and there is often snow on when I hunt them. I don't pack the weight of the 15's elk hunting because I can find them effectively with the 10x and evaluate with the spotter.

That's my advice anyway and what has worked for me.

Last edited:
I had a spotter and never used it. It was heavy so it was the reason it got left behind. I’ve considered getting a pair of 12x or 15x binos, but I don’t want to carry a second pair with me. I’ve been using my 10x on a tripod more and more and I like the setup. I don’t evaluate animals much, I mostly just want to find one. Kudos to the guys packing both around.

OP
S

sparetime

FNG
Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate you time and insight.

My main focus is elk hunting out west. Here is my take away from the above and the good article that was shown in a link:

No. 1 - Get the best 10x42 binoculars you can afford and fit your personal taste. Get a tripod adapter and a good tripod. (I had never thought about using binoculars off a tripod. Nobody in our hunting party does this, but it makes perfect sense for extended viewing sessions.)
No. 2 - Spotting scope - Use for picking out details. Is that a cow or a spike in the herd? There is a large herd 3miles off, how many bulls are there? Spend what your comfortable with.
No. 3 - 15x56 if you want, not necessary, but nice if you can fit them in. May be more useful deer hunting where critters can blend into the surroundings more

I'm sure there are different setups for different tastes, but I think I'll get a spotting scope for this year. Or maybe just go nuts and get a really nice 10x42 and be happy with that and a tripod.

elkguide

WKR
I use Swaro 10X42's for everything from east coast whitetails to western elk and mule deer hunting. I have a spotter that I usually carry the first week of the hunting season and then my pack gets lightened and it's the first thing to go. I just spend so much time behind the binos and the 10 power Swaro's, it's clear enough to give me the details that I need.

WRO

WKR
I carry 12x50 els and an STX 95, I use the big scope for long range spotting a lot(3 miles plus) and the 12's for everything under 2 miles. The 12's live in a tripod most of the time.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, many many Mtn hunts......and Between my spotter and my 15x binos....I almost always take my 15's

IMO, Whats ideal at those long ranges is one guy with 15's and the other with a spotter

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Do this. It is the most bang for the buck and will completely change glassing for you.

100% the right answer, especially for elk hunting. There are just hardly any situations that an Alpha 10x42 is not a really, really good answer.

Unless you are in some really unique elk country trying to separate out the highest quality bull from others, a spotter is a lot of weight to haul around.

Great pair of 10x42s and a really good spotter is the way to go. However, i'd sure like a pair of 15s or 18s as well..

Blue72

WKR
It’s good to get guidance from others on forums

but I learned it’s best to find a store with a good return policy and buy all the different options and see what works for you

after buying 7x,8x,10x, 15x, 16x binoculars and a 50mm and 70mm scope and using them extensively on a range of several miles. I learned my that my tastes are different then everyone else’s. Few things I learned

1. 7x is highly underrated, it is crazy stable when hand held, hardly need to focus, and the huge wide field of view is amazing
2. I hate one eye viewing of spotting scopes, its uncomfortable especially after using high powered binoculars on a tripod for a longtime with ease
3. 12x is the latest rage, but I found it too close to 10x and that big views start at 15/16x
4. 10x is a great all a rounder, there is definitely room for one in anyone’s collection
5. tripods can turn good binoculars into awesome binoculars

It’s good to get guidance from others on forums

but I learned it’s best to find a store with a good return policy and buy all the different options and see what works for you

after buying 7x,8x,10x, 15x, 16x binoculars and a 50mm and 70mm scope and using them extensively on a range of several miles. I learned my that my tastes are different then everyone else’s. Few things I learned

1. 7x is highly underrated, it is crazy stable when hand held, hardly need to focus, and the huge wide field of view is amazing
2. I hate one eye viewing of spotting scopes, its uncomfortable especially after using high powered binoculars on a tripod for a longtime with ease
3. 12x is the latest rage, but I found it too close to 10x and that big views start at 15/16x
4. 10x is a great all a rounder, there is definitely room for one in anyone’s collection
5. tripods can turn good binoculars into awesome binoculars
all good points

I recently picked up a pair of Leica Duovids (8x+12x) and they are working out well. Now I just need to get a tripod.

Brooks

WKR
I have been guiding for elk since Sept 1 this year. As an elk guide I use 12x50 Swarovski binos and a 25-50x65 Swarovski spotter just about every day until December. The 12x50’s are awesome but you have guys that spent a lot of money and are looking for a certain elk so they want details and at 2 miles the EL’s will see elk but can’t pick the elk apart you need the spotter.