Spotting scope for the range

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at purchasing a spotting scope that will primarily be used at the shooting range. Want a scope that can see bullet holes on splatter targets out to 500 yds. Most reviews i have found don’t detail to that level.
To see that far clearly, do I need 60x or would I be able to get away with 45x mag?
How high quality glass would I need to go? Would Vortex Viper HD work or need to step up to the Razor level? I know Swarovski is top of the line but when this is for almost all range use, can’t justify that spend.
Appreciate advice from those that have more experience with spotting scopes than myself.
Thanks
Ben

gunguy

FNG
Over the past 4 years I have bought 8 different spotting scopes and returned them all. I too was looking for a spotter to see hits out to 500yds. This proved to be much more difficult than I ever expected. I bought many scope under $500 from Bushnell, Celestron, Barska, Visionking, Cabelas and Nikon up to 60 and 80 power. I can probably take a little time later and list all the model numbers. The net result was none of them had the glass to see hits on paper past 300. I finally found a used Vortex Razor HD x85 and I can finally see his at 500 yds. but it's still not easy. Bottom line is that hits on paper (even with reactive targets) are very difficult to clearly make out past 400-500 yards. Painted steel targets offer a better alternative as the hits leave large marks that can be seen out to 700-800yds with a good spotter. You could probably get away with a new 85mm Viper but you might struggle a little with a 65mm as the image detail falls off a little more quickly.

Hope this helps a little. The bottom line is that really good glass is needed past 400yds to see hits on paper.

OP
B

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Good information. Thanks for the reply. Came across the athlon Ares. Seems like pretty good reviews for the price. May give that a try.