Take deal on Meopta HD or hold out for SLC?

Looking for someone who has experience with the Meopta HD 10x42s next to the SLC 10x42s.
I have been saving to buy a set of SLCs but I still have quite a ways to go. But today I found a brand new in box never used set of meopta HDs that I can pick up for $750.

I Know the Meoptas are a little heavier, so strictly speaking on optical quality is it worth saving the extra $1,000 for the SLCs?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy the Meopta binos now and use them fur now, then re-evaluate the situation once you've saved another $1000. If you take care of them you should be able to get your money back later on down the road. On the other hand, you might find some other gear to sink the $1000 into. The Meopta binos are great, and I'm happy with them (sold the 10x42s, but have Cabela's Euros in 8x32 and 15x56 now, as well as a Meostar S2 spotter). If someone wanted to trade me the swarovski equivalents I'd probably do it, but I'm happy with my decision to put my money into more useful gear as opposed to paying the premium for Swarovski glass.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just did this comparison last week. Based on weight and brightness I would wait for the SLC's. Clarity and resolution and build quality seemed similar.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
RaggedHunter
Thanks for all the help guys, that helped me out a bunch. I’m leaning towards holding out for the SLCs. It is just so dang tempting to buy the Meoptas and use that extra 1000 on other gear.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I have asked myself this question for 2 years now. Most recently, I put my new Cabelas Euros 12x50 side by side with current version EL 12x50. I don't know how to quantify the difference. The EL's were brighter (at midday in overcast conditions), have wider FOV, and had slightly better resolution. Both were on a tripod.

My current philosophy is that unless I have the money to buy the Swaros without a second thought, then the increased performance of the Swaros is probably not worth the added cost. I got the 12x50's new for $1100, so even a great deal on the EL 12x50's would be twice the cost. They are not twice as good.

Brightness is the most over rated quality on binoculat performance.

Next is weight.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
$750 is an outstanding price for the Meopta HD. I would jump on it and not look back. I have used both binoculars quite a bit. I do think the SLC HD has a small brightness advantage in very low light, but the Meopta HD isn’t bad on brightness and optical performance is really a draw between these two in all other categories. The bigger difference is ergonomics, and some prefer one over the other.

It is just so dang tempting to buy the Meoptas and use that extra 1000 on other gear.

This would make the decision even easier. Put that $1000 to other needs, if you have them.

ljalberta

WKR
I run SLCs myself, however I'd jump on those. Use them. Sell them later, IF, you ever want to upgrade to the SLCs. You shouldn't take too much of a haircut. Plus, they're amazing glass. The difference between the Euros and the SLCs isn't going to make or break a hunt, so if you have other gear needs, then I'd agree with the above posters and address those first.

OP
RaggedHunter
Thanks for all the responses. All of your insight has helped me tremendously. I am going down after work to pick the Meoptas up! Can’t wait to get out and use them.

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
I was in this same predicament last week. I was going to purchase the Meopta's. I was able to buy a pair of older NEU SLC's in the classifieds section for a good price. I know they are not HD but I have had a pair an prefer them over the Meoptas. Be patient, the meopta deal will be around for a while but be on the lookout for SLC's on here and Demo pairs from some of the optic companies.

Good luck in your quest. Ha Ha.

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
I run SLCs myself, however I'd jump on those. Use them. Sell them later, IF, you ever want to upgrade to the SLCs. You shouldn't take too much of a haircut. Plus, they're amazing glass. The difference between the Euros and the SLCs isn't going to make or break a hunt, so if you have other gear needs, then I'd agree with the above posters and address those first.

I’ve owned both. I had a slight preference to the SLC, but would own the Meoptas again. If money is a consideration and you aren’t making a living on your glass, it’s hard to justify the difference. When the retail of the Meostar was $1200 and you compare to a used SLC around $13-1400 I’d go SLC. But $750 vs full $1750, I’d pick meostar. Great glass and little risk of $ loss if you sell in the future.

I’m sure there are some reading this wondering where they can find your deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutdoorAg

WKR
Used glass, especially with alpha or near alpha, is the way to go IMO.

Unless you have a hook up with a dealer or you just like buying new, used stuff + a company with good CS is the ticket.

TBarron

WKR
Ive done a side by side and the only big difference is weight. The Meopta’s are noticeably heavier. The SLCs also seem to focus quicker and require less tweaking. All that being said you can continue to chase the optics dragon and constantly have that upgrade thought in the back of your mind. Once you’ve bought Swaros you’ve really peaked. I just sold a pair that was 3 months old for $1450 so you can find some good deals. If your already having this thought then I would hold out or you may find yourself chasing the dragon again a few months down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO for the price the Meostar everyday and twice on Sunday. They really don't give up anything optically to the SLC. I like the ergonomics of the SLC better, but personally would get used to the Meostar for the savings. I am an 8x fan and use the Meopro, but if I would look for a 10x I would jump on a pair of Meostar HD's for that price.