Western hunters.....EL 10x42 or 10x50?

geriggs

WKR
Those who hunt out west and have used ELs.....do you prefer the 10x42 or 10x50? My glassing technique is probably 50/50 tripod and without. Dont generally glass more than a mile or mile and a half. Thanks.

BlaserLRH

FNG
IMO the bigger the better ... I have 10x50EL , and I want the Zeiss 10x54 HT..... Almost same weight, almost night vision !

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am going 12X50 EL....will be here just in time for my Kodiak bear hunt I am going on with my bro and member here Stid2677 (they both have tags I am just the weak mind and weaker back to help). :)

Broomd

WKR
Depends on the "western" hunt....if you are covering miles over high country go with the 10X32's. Lowland/plains/detailed glassing I'd go 12X50....

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Those who hunt out west and have used ELs.....do you prefer the 10x42 or 10x50? My glassing technique is probably 50/50 tripod and without. Dont generally glass more than a mile or mile and a half. Thanks.
Man it's a toss up. I really like using my EL 10x42 I do a lot of hunting in heavy wooded areas and I also do a lot of tree stand hunting as well for elk and deer. So that's a tuff one usually I bring my SLIK tripod with my ATX 85 if I am glassing a lot or on top of a ridge for a few hours. For me 10x42 all the way but everyone hunts different and goes to different areas using different equipment.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider

I can't see you having a problem with the 10x50s while you're glassing freehand and there's no question you'll certainly benefit from the extra objective lens size while glassing from a tripod. The difference in weight is only 5.4 ounces (35 vs 29.6) and the ergonomics on both are excellent so no issues there. As to be expected, the field of view is slightly better with the 50s (345 vs 336 ft/1000 yds) so if that is important to you it's worth consideration. Like what has already been mentioned, it will largely depend on your personal preference and how you hunt.

A few guys have already brought it up but I'll mention it as well for what it's worth. I weighed quite a few options including both models you're looking at and other models (SLCs) and brands. I ended up going with the EL 12x50s and I have to say they are spectacular. I'm blown away and can't wait to get out and put them through a proper test this summer and fall. I admit I'm looking to add a smaller pair (such as the 8x30 CLs) when I can pull it off because the 12s are pretty strong when you start getting a little closer on stalks on an archery hunt (I hunt Coues deer in high desert brush a lot) but to be clear, I have no problem using the 12s and only the 12s this year. Again, they're amazing.

Good luck with your choice. With the options you're looking at you'll be more than happy with whatever set you choose.

Trial153

WKR
I only bow hunt, if I rifle hunted I might make slightly different choices, so with that in mind...here is my 2cents .
If your staying with 10x I would go the 42mm objectives. Less weight and space, Both of which are constantly in play all day everyday. The extra 8mm might help you 10 minutes a day comparing 42mm ELs to 50mm ELs in 10x.

My favorite combo is 12x ELs and 8x32 ELs, I only use the 12x off tripods otherwise they are in my pack. The 8x are on me all the time.
If I am taking only one glass it’s pretty much always 10x42 SLC’s, except elk hunting and whitetail hunting which lots of times I use 8x32.

So my pick of the two is 10x42 ELs