Digiscoping dual camera smart phone.

Napperm4

WKR
Had a little fall on the ice last week and grenaded my phone. Turns out they aren’t meant to be ridden down the steps...

I ended up with an iPhone X and the camera has been impressive so far.

I have been using my iPhone 6 and phoneskope set up the last few years as a digiscoping set up. With the new phone I’m planning to pull the trigger on a novagrade and get rid of phoneskope all together.

I was wondering if anyone has much experience using the Samsung or iPhones with dual cameras yet as a digiscope set up and if there’s any issues that I should consider just going back to a dedicated point and shoot???

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aron

WKR
I have the Samsung S9 plus with dual cameras and wondered the same thing. I imagine the adapters will use the standard zoom lens centered in the adapter.

OP
Napperm4

Napperm4

WKR
I have the Samsung S9 plus with dual cameras and wondered the same thing. I imagine the adapters will use the standard zoom lens centered in the adapter.

Kind of my thoughts. I see phoneskope is offering a case for the iPhone X now so it must work in theory. They suggest some third party app to go with it.

I have the centre column for my tripod in a machine shop getting an extension made for standing, when that comes back I guess I can always try hand holding the phone and see how it goes too.

Thanks for the reply

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I digiscope with a Iphone 7 Plus.

The "telephoto" lens works great to get rid of vignetting, but with a catch: The iPhone just doesn't necessarily switch to the telephoto lens when you click the "2x" button. It evaluates and chooses based on internal processing whether the image is better with the telephoto lens or if it is better with the standard lens digitally zoomed. This sucks because it will choose the wrong lens when you have it set for one.

The standard camera app doesn't allow you to disable the auto selection. My fix was the "Pro Camera" app that allows you to hard-select the lens you want to use. I generally use the "telephoto." The added benefit is the app allows for raw recording and more control over photography.

I hope you find this helpful.

OP
Napperm4

Napperm4

WKR
I digiscope with a Iphone 7 Plus.

The "telephoto" lens works great to get rid of vignetting, but with a catch: The iPhone just doesn't necessarily switch to the telephoto lens when you click the "2x" button. It evaluates and chooses based on internal processing whether the image is better with the telephoto lens or if it is better with the standard lens digitally zoomed. This sucks because it will choose the wrong lens when you have it set for one.

The standard camera app doesn't allow you to disable the auto selection. My fix was the "Pro Camera" app that allows you to hard-select the lens you want to use. I generally use the "telephoto." The added benefit is the app allows for raw recording and more control over photography.

I hope you find this helpful.

That’s exactly the type of advice I was hoping for.

Thank you

dotman

WKR
I have the app “Manual - Raw Camera”. And it allows you to select between 1x and 2x. Shoots in the raw, has adjustable iso and shutter. I have the universal phoneskope case so you can align it easily. I have the iPhone X.