Spotter-Vortex Viper vs. Athlon Ares

I have a newish 65mm Viper. I'm pretty happy with it. Hearing lots of good talk about the Athlon Ares 65mm, including some reviews saying the Athlon is better than the Razor. What are your thoughts on value, glass clarity and quality, low light, etc.

I might be looking to trade or sell, maybe I'll keep the Viper forever--who knows.

If the ares is the same scope as the Cabela's krotos then it's better than the razor to my eyes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jdff1

FNG
I have an Athlon ares 65, have been happy with it so far. It gets a little darker at max power, but far better than some other scopes at that price point, Leupold, viper. The clarity is better than the viper for sure. I haven’t looked through a new razor in the field, but I think the clarity was as good as the old razor. Quality seems good, haven’t had any issues. The focus is also a lot faster than the old razor. For $500, I think I paid for it, you can’t go wrong in my opinion. I glass with 15’s and really only use it to look at those far off animals. Fits the bill for me perfect, cheap, compact and pretty decent glass.

OP
I
Seems really compact as you stated. Amazing that there isn't significant loss of glassing ability with the size but it doesn't seem like it.

One that gives me pause is worrying that Athlon might not be around in 5, 10, 15 years so the warranty is worthless. Seems like it's pretty unknown compared to Vortex.

Last edited:

Jdff1

FNG
Food for thought, cameraland has now started carrying Athlon products and I don’t think they have vortex anymore, but they advertise on this site and sell a lot of optics. They are not the end all be all, but maybe Athlon is catching on. The problem with the vortex warranty is you will more than likely have to use it. I guess time will tell. I think I read the guys at Athlon used to work for bushnell. Not sure if that helps or hurts.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Athlon Ares Spotters are excellent and the price is right. Great quality control on Athlon products as well.
Please feel free to give us a call to discuss what would be the right optic for you, 516-217-1000, Doug

OP
I
Thanks for all the comments. I was hoping Doug would chime in. I'll give you a call. Not saying I wouldn't like some more insight but this is really helpful.

OP
I
Thanks for the time and expertise you share with those on Rokslide, including myself.

Did you end up getting a scope Idahohikker?
If so which one?
I've been looking at the Athlon ares and that review Doug posted was great to show the size difference. Thinking the 65 is the best bet for my needs, short of getting one of the top end brands.

OP
I
Hi Randy (I think it is). I see you on here a lot and really like the info you share. Are you guiding still? I want to chat with you about your experience guiding in the Frank since that's my primary area. As far as the scope, I own a newer Viper and am seriously considering selling it to by the Athlon Ares. The Viper is pretty good but after talking to Doug and various posters here, as well as reading all the reviews on the net I could find, I think the Ares is significantly better glass and more packable. Good luck. Let me know what you decide and how it treats you.

colersu22

WKR
Has anyone reviewed the 50mm? The one video made it look the size of your hand and was only 19oz I believe with a 7.5-22 zoom.

OP
I
Most people I know who've tried the 50mm go away from it. Pretty small subset of guys prefer it over a 65mm or 15x bino.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Has anyone reviewed the 50mm? The one video made it look the size of your hand and was only 19oz I believe with a 7.5-22 zoom.
The Ares 7.5-22.5x50 is a nice little spotter but does not compare with the larger 65 version.
It is a great pack scope due to its size and weight:

SPECIFICATION
Magnification 7.5-22.5
Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm
Prism Glass Bak 4
ESP Dielectric Coating Yes
XPL Coating Yes
ED Glass Yes
Lense Coating Advanced Fully Multi-Coated
Field of View 265-116 ft
Exit Pupil 4.3-1.4 mm
Eye Relief 0.75-0.63"