Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65mm Spotter semi-live review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5ae78727b4b830ba87047f8870477ba8.jpg

Hey all,
most know that I like lighter optics so when I saw this Zeiss at Western Hunt Expo, I thought it might give my old Swaro' "pirate scope" (as Ryan has dubbed it) a run for the money. This is the Dialyt 18-45x65mm. I've ran Dialyt 7x42 binocs for 20 years and they are top-tier glass, even at their age, so I'm hopeful for this scope.

Just received it Friday and got it out for an hour this morning. I like it. At 42 ounces, 15.5", it's got punch for it's size.

It's edge-to-edge is good but not as good as my Swaro, but the clarity is there and I like how it feels in a pack (not much!). It comes with a carrying strap that I haven't installed yet. I'll certainly use it more before I say too much. Matt helped me get some optics charts coming so as soon as I learn how to use those, I'll run the Dialyt through the ringer.

BTW, this is not Zeiss Euro glass (SCHOT?) but their Japanese glass. You can buy these scopes around $1500 bucks so I think there will be some guys out there who will benefit from this offering. And if you're tired of lugging around giant glass in the backcountry, you might like this scope.

Here's a quick video
[video=youtube_share;zmsWhyzbOuQ]https://youtu.be/zmsWhyzbOuQ[/video]
aeefb0b818c4d99103a3bb38f705ae06.jpg

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I didn't realize they put Japanese glass in some of their offerings, but that would explain being able to hit that price point. I figured you would have bought the pirate spotter that was listed in the classifieds Robby

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't realize they put Japanese glass in some of their offerings, but that would explain being able to hit that price point. I figured you would have bought the pirate spotter that was listed in the classifieds Robby

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I didn’t see it! But I’ve already got mine. Yes, Japanese glass in this scope according to the rep at Zeiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this scope compared to the Swaro CTC. I have been looking at both models for a little while now...leaning more on the Swarovski side due to the wide field of view. Although it lacks waterproofness, I can imagine it still being quite weather resistant. It would be nice to know how much more detail the Zeiss can resolve above 30x.

Cheers.

I would really like to see a comparison between this spotter and the Kowa 550 TSN-554. Very similar price point, same magnification, and the Kowa is lighter but smaller objective (55M).

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I would really like to see a comparison between this spotter and the Kowa 550 TSN-554. Very similar price point, same magnification, and the Kowa is lighter but smaller objective (55M).

Me too! Somebody send me one and I’ll do it.

Broomd

WKR
Also love lighter offerings, 'light is right' imho, but this scope is a huge disappointment. The eye relief and FOV alone are worth looking elsewhere.
Back when they were widely available around $800, they were *okay* but at closer to $1200 now, there are better choices.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a head-to-head I did with this spotter vs. Swaro' and Vortex, also posted in the optics forum on it's own thread, but I wanted it in here, too. The Zeiss did well for the purposes I'd use it for: backcountry hunting where weight counts.
[video=youtube_share;JnipeeyI4lE]https://youtu.be/JnipeeyI4lE[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update. I’ve got quite a bit of scouting time on this scope and decided it would fit the bill for this backcounty hunt I’m on this week because of the pros listed below outweighed the cons:

Pros:
-At 42 ounces, it works with the KDC Granite Peak tripod. Saves me a few pounds of tripod in the pack. My Swarovskis are either too long (CT) and pick up the wind, or too heavy for this tripod
-the lower end of 18x makes the FOV nice for picking up bucks I’ve seen in the binos
-good clarity in center even to 45x

Cons:
-clarity at edges suffers
-the focus ring is on the objective end and is a little awkward to reach and way to hard to turn
d2b1ffa27da7bf5358d10fec38ff4bc2.jpg
e861ae79d29d9d1bd5f6166e6184a28a.jpg

1802b7c789cb9968a25aa68c8312124f.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for the update and good luck on the hunt!

Maybe after I'm done with it for the year I could send you my Kowa 55mm and see how they do side by side. I really like that little scope but haven't looked through the Zeiss. I sold my Swaro STM 65 to buy the Kowa and my ATS 80HD after spending a year with the Kowa. The FOV is smaller but the glass is amazing and it's 34oz with the stay on case. I pack my 15x Swaro binos a lot of the time and just need a spotter to evaluate what I find with them. A lighter spotter makes me carry the 15's more often and find more game.

Trial153

WKR
Good work. Would love to see a side by side with this a the 55 kowa.
I am hankerimg for a 55mm spotter.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update and good luck on the hunt!

Maybe after I'm done with it for the year I could send you my Kowa 55mm and see how they do side by side.
You got a deal. We’d pay postage both ways. This is a side by side that needs done.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this scope compared to the Swaro CTC. I have been looking at both models for a little while now...leaning more on the Swarovski side due to the wide field of view. Although it lacks waterproofness, I can imagine it still being quite weather resistant. It would be nice to know how much more detail the Zeiss can resolve above 30x.

Cheers.

Strangely enough the Zeiss beat the Swaro on the resolving chart, but that was because I was looking in the center. On the mountain where your edge to edge makes a difference, I think the Swarovski CT would beat it.

The Zeiss doesn’t seem to lose clarity above 30x. Just doesn’t have great edge to edge clarity at any power.

mcseal2

WKR
I'll PM you when I get back from Alaska in early October Robby and get it lined up.

Thanks for doing the review, I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll PM you when I get back from Alaska in early October Robby and get it lined up.

Thanks for doing the review, I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

Sounds good man. I’m pretty swamped with hunts till about third week of October so no hurry, but I could even run the comparison on some of those hunts. Whatever works for you. Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update on the edge-to-edge clarity issue I mentioned above. What I’m noticing is that the problem is between 18 and roughly 25 X. From 25 to 45x it clears up really well. Not quite as good as my Swaro CT, but still pretty good. Not sure why it’s so bad at the lower power.

The lower power of 18x is really nice for picking up bucks quickly though, but then you end up at the higher power after that.

740a7a2bcd831f1ece43ea0131679b68.jpg

I’m looking at a good buck through it right now at 1159 yards. He’s bedded in the shadows of that top spruce with the sharp point. No problem with clarity at all at the 45X I can clearly see he’s a 6 x 6 with twin in lines of his G3 on each side. Looks like he’s only got one brow tine on the right, nothing on the left. You couldn’t tell all that through a crappy scope.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s one I let walk last week. Remember this is without a Phoneskope, hence the ring and a little sun glare. I know it’s hard to evaluate clarity of a scope through a phone, but these are pretty dang clear. He's about 200 yards or less. First photo he’s feeding in the spruce behind the small bucks. He later moved to his first bed.
2623468d42ef1732e613f0a5ca9841ce.jpg

a83a46a77ad63ac70c281ca870066545.jpg
a450f173c69f6f4fc4190322ead3dd11.jpg
9dfd2f721e9f10e4262b492c28af12ce.jpg

Last edited:

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Strangely enough the Zeiss beat the Swaro on the resolving chart, but that was because I was looking in the center. On the mountain where your edge to edge makes a difference, I think the Swarovski CT would beat it.

The Zeiss doesn’t seem to lose clarity above 30x. Just doesn’t have great edge to edge clarity at any power.

Thanks for the info! I ended up with a Nikon EDG 65 16-48x. It's a bit heavier, but has field flattening glass and great views.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info! I ended up with a Nikon EDG 65 16-48x. It's a bit heavier, but has field flattening glass and great views.

Oh you’ll love that scope. Keep us posted on your experiences

JoshT

FNG
Anymore updates on this little spotter Robby? Looking at reviews of used spotters in my price point and this one came up. Any opinions on how it compares to a vortex razor gen 1(16-48x65)? I've only ever looked through a gen 2 razor.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman