Backcountry Tripods for binocs

I recently purchased a KDC granite peak tripod. I haven't used more conventional tripods so I cannot offer you a comparison, but at something like 9 oz for the tripod, bino tower, and optic balancer mount, it has been a revelation for me. Easy to set up and take down and the ball head works much, much better than I thought it would.

X2 on this set-up. For seated glassing but that’s what I do when I’m using a tripod to glass. Stupid light but high quality.

twall13

WKR
I run a slik 634. For a head I like the outdoorsmans pistol grip with panner for my binos. Also have a outdoorsmans regular pan head mainly for my sts80 spotter. I put a quick release adapter on the tripod so I can change out heads. It's pricey equipment but unless I dump it off a cliff I should be set for a long time.

This sounds like an awesome setup. I run a ball Sirui ball head so I can keep Arca compatibility for my camera but if I didn't haul a camera around I'd love the pistol grip w/panner and regular pan head setup from Outdoorsman. Slik, Promaster, and Sirui all make good quality carbon legs for the price but I've enjoyed my Promaster XC525C legs for my uses.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
slik sprint mini and a homemade b'noc adapter works great while sitting in comfort.....

I roll just like Huntsman. Mystery Ranch chair, Slik Sprint Mini but with a Jim White head, and more recently with the KDC Granite Peak. The KDC is so light I pack both—Im not comfortable enough heat to trust that little thing with my spotter!

Trial153

WKR
The KDC has me really interested, just kind of unclear what need from their website.
Also wondering if I can mount any of my current heads on it

texag10

WKR
I got the bino tower, optics balance adjuster, bino stud, and tripod. The RRS stuff seems nice to have but it is not a necessity. I will probably order it down the line.

Edit: I just called and talked to him and he told me what to get.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
No you cannot mount any of your current heads on it. It has a slick little ball head on it. Terry the owner is one of those mechanical genius type dudes, like an old NASCAR crew chief! The optics balancer is a must have.

Trial153

WKR
I really would love the weight savings of the KDC system vs a micro pan head . I am just not sure about the functionality of it. Comparing the two....I guess I have just order it and see.