Vortex Viper Spotting Scope Reviews

FFBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on a limited budget and as a firefighter I get a good discount with vortex. I am considering picking up the new viper line for 2018. I haven’t been able to get my hands on one yet so I was hoping to get some feedback. Let me know what you’re thoughts are! Someday I will get my swaro!

See my recent thread regarding the Viper vs the Athlon Ares. I'm leaning towards switching to the Ares for a superior scope. No one is defending the Viper. Athlon has a similarly good warranty as Vortex. Call Doug for a good deal.

boom

WKR
he gets a discount with Vortex, which i am assuming why he is asking specifically about them.

i have the Viper. the 65mm. it is my go-to scope for my AZ couse deer hunt i do every winter. one winter, two years ago, i had the luxury of going with my friends Leica APO. similar power. my friend had the more powerful 80mm (?) Razors. i set up all three. i tore the label off the bottom of my camp chair and hung it from a branch 70 yards away. i tried to read the text with every scope. you know what? they were all surprisingly clear. the Leica were crisper..the text was like it was right there in front of my face. my 65mm Vortex..just a tiny bit fuzzy..very tiny bit. the Razor looked the same but was brighter.

i gave the Leica's back because my friend took up hunting again. i do admit, it was nice having them in my gun safe to use. they are scratched and rough looking, but damn..they are crispy clear.

there is no real issues with my Vortex. i can see antlers out to as a far as i want. i might not be able to evaluate a buck to the minute detail, but i'm not at that level of couse bowhunter yet..i see an "okay" legal buck and i am after it..i dont need to debate the G2's or anything..

ill buy Leica if i ever hunt a sheep and need to count growth rings or something..:) or if i need to verify 50" antlers on a moose..

right now..decent and legal..my scope can do that with ease. if i had to hate something..the big lens cap is a lesson in frustration. it is downright retarded. total miracle i havent lost it yet. it barely hangs on to the lens base. a hummingbird fart could knock it loose. the scope is fairly light..lighter than the Leica, and very Svelte. it pulls from my pack like a sword. i am up and glassing super fast. my straight scope is damn easy to aim. i can find a distant object very fast now.

lcpaul22

FNG
I hunted with a viper for 5 years. It was returned to the factory for warranty issues 6 months in. Twice the eyepiece came loose and fell out.

As far as image goes, It was functional for picking out animals but was poor for viewing detail. It was hard to count tines on mule deer at over 400 yards against a snow background. Anything over 30 power was grainy.

Ive since upgraded. I recommend you avoid my mistake and buy better in the first instance. Talk to Doug or another dealer as there are several scopes in the same price range that are of higher quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Like there needs to be another endorsement for Doug and the guys at his shop. But here is another. Half the fun is calling in and ordering by phone. Guys have fun there, along with great prices and service.