Swarovski Turret Questions

zerohour714

Banned
Hey guys,

I am currently running the Swaro Z3 4-12x50 with the outdoorsman turret which performs well at the elevation the turret is set at. That written, a new problem has come to light as I will be hunting in Wyoming this year at around 11,000ft but most of my hunting is done in the 4-6500ft elevation. I want to avoid having to purchase multiple turrets for multiple elevations and am wondering if there are any additional options. For reference, I will not be shooting past 650 yrds.

All my buddies run the Nightforce and dial in everything. They say to sell the swaro and get the nightforce. While this is an option, I really love the Swaro clarity, minimal weight, and light gathering it provides.

What are your suggestions? For those who run the Swaro, what is your experience?

Straight Shots,

Michael

Axlrod

WKR
Check a ballistic prog and see what the diff is at 11000' and compensate with tho outdoorsmans turret or
you can put the factory turret back on or send the scope to Swaro and have them put in a BRX reticle.

Jardo

WKR
I ran the calculation and for my 280 AI, the difference between 6000 feet and 11,000 feet at 600 yards is 3.2 inches. Not too big of a difference for deer size game. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
An alternative is to just get a turret that is straight MOA or MIL, not specific to a load at a specific altitude. Then use a ballistic solver for your drops based on your current atmospherics location.

-David

I ran the calculation and for my 280 AI, the difference between 6000 feet and 11,000 feet at 600 yards is 3.2 inches.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3 inches at 600 yards would be hard to compensate for when looking through the scope. I don't think I could look at the Deer or Elk at 600 yards, and make a 3 inch correction with the crosshair on the target. What I am trying to say is, it isn't that much to worry about if it's only 3 inches at 600 yards. AND if the target happens to be closer, say half that distance, then it really won't matter at all.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
3 inches at 600 yards would be hard to compensate for when looking through the scope. I don't think I could look at the Deer or Elk at 600 yards, and make a 3 inch correction with the crosshair on the target. What I am trying to say is, it isn't that much to worry about if it's only 3 inches at 600 yards. AND if the target happens to be closer, say half that distance, then it really won't matter at all.

Maybe not a huge deal at 3", but that 3" is if you make a perfect shot and not 3" low on your shot and all of a sudden you are 6" low. Elevation is the easy part but trying to make a one size do all dial for it is actually making things harder than they have to be.

I guess my question would be why be satisfied with an inherent 3" error in the first place. For example if I sighted in my rifle at 100 yards and the next time I shot it was 3" low I would be looking what went wrong.

More importantly how are you going to account for wind? A 10 mph full value is gonna move most bullets from common hunting cartridges anywhere from 18-26" at 600 yards? How are you going to know the value of the wind you are shooting in and such and how to accommodate that? Even if you half that at a 5 mph wind which isn't much really to "feel" you half those numbers and you are still out of the kill zone. Even if you get that perfect shot and only 3" low what about that potential 9-13" drift on a slight wind?

So 3" low error is just less than half the battle at that 600 yard line you chose for your distance.

An easy way to atleast try to over come some of that error is to make a chart of some sort setup with your rifles data and the environmental you plan to hunt in.

For example here is what I use most of the time. 2500' DA covers most of my hunting areas but really its only out to 500 yards or so most of the fall. But I don't expect it to work during the winter at sea level and 0 degrees.

ZU2668N.jpg

However if I planned to hunt somewhere where I would be hunting a significant different in elevation or temperature or both, I would alteast make up another chart to hunt that area to try to get my data as close to perfect as I can rather than go into the hunt behind the game with a known 3" error.

Not trying to discourage at all, just trying to help you set yourself up for success as best you can prior to the hunt while its easy to do.

Like Dah605 suggested a standard MIL or MOA (pick your poison there ;) ) chart to work with based on your rifle and your expected environment is gonna give you more confidence.....as will practicing and verifying at those distances further than your 600 yard limit, especially in the wind.

OP
Z

zerohour714

Banned
Thanks David,

I considered this option but it does not seem like Swaro offers this for their Z3 scopes, only the Z8. Do you know of a 3rd party who makes them? I can't seem to find one.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, where did you get that drop/wind chart made for your scope cap? That’s super slick

I got them here:
DOPE Disks

But since I then I make then in excel and got the cells down just to the perfect size to maximize largest font while still fit inside the scope cap. Otherwise at $10 a pop that vortex wants for them things might get spendy quick with multiple rifles and multiple loads and multiple conditions. :)

They are kinda the same thing just free....and I make them for my friends and such as well:
aJcLA8h.jpg

Its not perfect but the price is right and it seems to work.

Last edited:
Luke, unfortunately I wasn't able to communicate my point very well. I meant that a 3 inch correction at 600 yards (.5 moa) might be difficult to correct for by moving the crosshair on the target the 3 inches. I would think the horizontal crosshair would cover at least 6 inches of the target at that distance, so making the 3 inch correction just by "holding higher or lower" might not be pinpoint accuracy. Well I guess I made my explanation clear as mud. Your explanation certainly is better advice, and a heck of a lot easier to comprehend than my mess. AND the OP said he would be using the Ballistic Turret, so my explanation about trying to hold the 3 inches correction (instead of dialing) doesn't fit the conversation.
Also, those Dope Discs look great, I will have to look into some.

Last edited: