Swaro vs Vortex

OP
Where's Bruce?
Rokslide sponsors (cameralandny, s&sarchery and oneshotgear to name a few) just give them a call. Have you ever tried rotating the angled on the collar, while not the same as straight it’s close.

Are you seriously packing an 80mm often (serious question) if not just go straight for easy glassing from the truck etc. If you want a great spotter that is compact get a Kowa 55.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/82024-kowa-tsn-553-review-luke-moffat.html

Yup but not when glassing miles from the truck. Kinda why I am shying away from Kowa.

19514_10206088992524923_5618431483959587012_n.jpg

Anyone using a BTX, I am kinda intrigued by this.

[video=youtube;g6Regd8-IiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Regd8-IiQ[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
That BTX would be pretty cool.

Would have to put it in place of my bow on every trophy photo though. LOL

Because I currently own 50, 65 & 80 size spotters, I thought this modular system might be a better overall option while simultaneously upgrading to all-European glass. Easier to pack and retains its value so my kids can sell it when I'm dust if they wish. I struggle to get on target with my angled scope but the little sight on this model might be the perfect solution for that issue. Not really looking for advice on how much to spend as much as info on the modular system and BTX exclusively. Leaning towards the BTX w/ 85 to start or a 65 w/ 1.7x Magnification Extender. Want to hear from actual users of this system.

This review has forced me to seriously consider this option. Swarovski BTX Review - Muley Crazy

Gonna check em out IRL as a birdwatching store locally has em in stock.

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
Well that was an experience. Birders take optics to the Nth degree however, when it comes to things like weight and pack size they are as clueless as Nancy Pelosi and Mimi Waters. I looked at the 85 and quickly dismissed it. Big! Set up the 65 Swaro and compared it side-by-side with my Vortex and the difference was very slight. So we tried the BTX to compare to the STX/ATX and here's my list of likes and dislikes:

LIKES-
The BTX using both eyes and headrest is much more comfortable for long term glassing.
The Swaro was barely clearer (5%?) over the Vortex in sunlight and peering into shadows.
The option to change objective modules is cool.

DISLIKES:
No micro adjustment like the Vortex (for fine tuning).
The little "sight" on the top right of the BTX is NOT a small scope, you cannot see thru it. It has a weird reticle but no backdrop image, you line it up like an iron sight, not a scope. Dumb, might as well be a solid piece of plastic.
Bulky...the BTX takes up 50% more space (to be expected given it accommodates both eyes I guess).
Heavy...easily 3.5lbs more than the Vortex (requiring a rail system to support it cuz it flops backwards otherwise.
The 1.7 mag extender doesn't make much difference at all. They should make this a variable power mag extender, then it would really be something.
Accessories are sold ala carte so ya gotta buy the scope cap, eye cups, balance rail, stay-on cases, etc...adds nearly $800 to the 5200.00+ price tag.

Well gang, the idea of paying $6K to double the weight of my spotter with no appreciable visual advantage kicks my plan to upgrade my Vortex to the curb. That darn thing works fine and weighs 3lbs. Glad I'm not into labels. I will say I am shocked by the side-by-side comparison...when I did this with my Kahles binos the Swaros were clearly superior, I didn't have to look twice. I knew in an instant. Today I went back and forth between my scope and their different scopes thinking I must be missing something. But an hour later the differences were so slight I couldn't put more than a $500 price difference between em. Even when glassing deep into shadow, my eyes struggled to see any difference and reading license plates at distance convinced me my Vortex was getting it done almost as well at Swaro. Can't pay $6K for a 5% difference (and saying 5% is being generous).

The birdwatcher store had a DUMP TRUMP sticker in it. LOL The store owner kept talking about the errors in the movie, The Big Year. He's friends with the real people from the book. The movie is lots of added fiction BS. Like I care.

TravKatQ

WKR
Well that was an experience. Birders take optics to the Nth degree however, when it comes to things like weight and pack size they are as clueless as Nancy Pelosi and Mimi Waters. I looked at the 85 and quickly dismissed it. Big! Set up the 65 Swaro and compared it side-by-side with my Vortex and the difference was very slight. So we tried the BTX to compare to the STX/ATX and here's my list of likes and dislikes:

LIKES-
The BTX using both eyes and headrest is much more comfortable for long term glassing.
The Swaro was barely clearer (5%?) over the Vortex in sunlight and peering into shadows.
The option to change objective modules is cool.

DISLIKES:
No micro adjustment like the Vortex (for fine tuning).
The little "sight" on the top right of the BTX is NOT a small scope, you cannot see thru it. It has a weird reticle but no backdrop image, you line it up like an iron sight, not a scope. Dumb, might as well be a solid piece of plastic.
Bulky...the BTX takes up 50% more space (to be expected given it accommodates both eyes I guess).
Heavy...easily 3.5lbs more than the Vortex (requiring a rail system to support it cuz it flops backwards otherwise.
The 1.7 mag extender doesn't make much difference at all. They should make this a variable power mag extender, then it would really be something.
Accessories are sold ala carte so ya gotta buy the scope cap, eye cups, balance rail, stay-on cases, etc...adds nearly $800 to the 5200.00+ price tag.

Well gang, the idea of paying $6K to double the weight of my spotter with no appreciable visual advantage kicks my plan to upgrade my Vortex to the curb. That darn thing works fine and weighs 3lbs. Glad I'm not into labels. I will say I am shocked by the side-by-side comparison...when I did this with my Kahles binos the Swaros were clearly superior, I didn't have to look twice. I knew in an instant. Today I went back and forth between my scope and their different scopes thinking I must be missing something. But an hour later the differences were so slight I couldn't put more than a $500 price difference between em. Even when glassing deep into shadow, my eyes struggled to see any difference and reading license plates at distance convinced me my Vortex was getting it done almost as well at Swaro. Can't pay $6K for a 5% difference (and saying 5% is being generous).

The birdwatcher store had a DUMP TRUMP sticker in it. LOL The store owner kept talking about the errors in the movie, The Big Year. He's friends with the real people from the book. The movie is lots of added fiction BS. Like I care.

I’m shocked with the slight differences comment. I’ve spent days comparing the 2 (vortex Razor gen 1 and sts 80hd) in different scenarios in the hills while hunting and found them noticeably different. Swaro was all around clearer and better low light capability. I think when people compare optics is parking lots on a bright sunny day your not getting the real look at what the optics can do. All my swaros have been compared to my older or other brands before I settled on them and I can honestly say Swarovski is the best glass out there from bino’s to spotters...to my eyes at least. Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I’m shocked with the slight differences comment. I’ve spent days comparing the 2 (vortex Razor gen 1 and sts 80hd) in different scenarios in the hills while hunting and found them noticeably different. Swaro was all around clearer and better low light capability. I think when people compare optics is parking lots on a bright sunny day your not getting the real look at what the optics can do. All my swaros have been compared to my older or other brands before I settled on them and I can honestly say Swarovski is the best glass out there from bino’s to spotters...to my eyes at least. Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not based on the conditions he looked through both, never compare during a clear bright point of the day, most optics will seem good at this time.

OP
Where's Bruce?
And what about low light differences?

Business is open 9-5 so twilight viewing isn't an option. I hardly ever find myself glassing in low light and when I do it's early morning which doesn't last very long. At dusk I'm already where I intend to kill something, not looking long distances for something I won't get to during legal shooting hours. To me the ability to see into shadow in daylight is most important...that and a good FOV. My rifle scope...that's an entirely different matter. I need all the help I can get at last light.

My Swaro binos were a big leap in better vision but the spotters I compared today...not so much. I wonder how many people are buying the status rather than the actual view...cuz the view I saw definitely wasn't radically better than my Vortex. I was all ready to pull the trigger with blackorvis (best price) but not now. BTW, nowhere on my Vortex Ultra High Def scope, box or owner's manual does it state the country of origin...the only address is WI. How do I determine if it's Japanese or Chinese?

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Business open 9-5 so twilight viewing isn't an option.
I've ran them side by side when my clients bring them on a few hunts, there's really no comparison. The Swarovski is heads and shoulders better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
I wasn’t going to comment because I didn’t want to hurt any swarvo feelings (the truth hurts sometimes lol). Without a doubt, my swarvo HD spotter is no better then my Pentax ED spotter (yet weighs more), and isn’t much difference between it and my partners vortex viper HD either.

Now, in rifle scopes, I find my swarvo noticeably brighter and clearer then my vx3. Kinda the same difference you found when comparing bino’s.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn’t going to comment because I didn’t want to hurt any swarvo feelings (the truth hurts sometimes lol). Without a doubt, my swarvo HD spotter is no better then my Pentax ED spotter (yet weighs more), and isn’t much difference between it and my partners vortex viper HD either.

Now, in rifle scopes, I find my swarvo noticeably brighter and clearer then my vx3. Kinda the same difference you found when comparing bino’s.
Why haven't you sold it yet and went back?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

snakelk

WKR
It's always interesting to read everyone's comments on a thread like this. I probably wouldn't be so interested had I not participated in my own side-by-side comparison of a few spotting scopes. Although not what Where's Bruce? asked to compare originally, the Meopta S2 won out over a Swaro 65 and a Vortex Razor 85 for me/us in our tests. Yes, not fair comparing an 82 mm to a 65, but that's what we had on hand. Between the Meopta and the Vortex it wasn't even close, and decided right then that I wouldn't spend $1,000 on a Razor when I could get an S2 for around $1600. If a person doesn't want to jump up to the Swaro price point, or even a Kowa, but wants something way better than a Razor, don't overlook the Meopta S2, IMO.

I'm surprised by your conclusions as well, but I guess it goes to show that everyone's eyes are different. I have had my ATM 65 HD next to a gen1 razor 65 more than a few times and everyone present was always able to tell a difference between the two.

I would put Kowa Prominar, Leica APO, and the Meopta S2 in the same class as the Swarovski spotting scope line-up, but I found the Razor spotters to be noticeably less stellar optically.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Different strokes for different folks! I tried Vortex because my buddy gave me his 50 percent off of retail pricing discount and ordered three of their products. I took them out on the porch at low light and knew within 2 minutes I was going to resell them on Ebay and make a little money and I did. Not even in the same league in my opinion. One more quick story regarding optics. I was antelope hunting and spotted some antelope about 2000 yards away, My buddy who could not pass up the 50 percent off sale at cabelas optics was trying to find them and could not locate them. After telling him to follow the fence line up the ridge blah blah blah he just could not see them. I got frustrated and asked to look through his binoculars and holy shit, I couldn't see them either.
Get what you can afford and enjoy but don't try to convince everyone they are as good as Swarovski because they are not.

... I hardly ever find myself glassing in low light and when I do it's early morning which doesn't last very long. At dusk I'm already where I intend to kill something, not looking long distances for something I won't get to during legal shooting hours. To me the ability to see into shadow in daylight is most important...that and a good FOV. My rifle scope...that's an entirely different matter. I need all the help I can get at last light.

Location makes a huge difference on how long low light conditions last for, both morning and evening. I can not even count how many animals I have glassed up during low light conditions, nor how many I have put to bed during low light morning conditions. Then how many I have glassed up in low light evening conditions, to hunt the following day(s).

Personally, I think your viewing (pun intended) this all wrong.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Location makes a huge difference on how long low light conditions last for, both morning and evening. I can not even count how many animals I have glassed up during low light conditions, nor how many I have put to bed during low light morning conditions. Then how many I have glassed up in low light evening conditions, to hunt the following day(s).

Personally, I think your viewing (pun intended) this all wrong.

You may be right...last time you used my spotter to locate a herd of Kaibab elk that magically turned into speed goats when we moved in on em. LOL

For you guys wanting a 65, here's one cheap and hardly used at all: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/roks...60x65-spotting-scope.html?posted=1#post935975

Last edited:

Decker9

WKR
Why haven't you sold it yet and went back?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’m a bit of a hoarder when it comes to gear, I hate selling stuff. I also like to take a spare spotter with me when going on a fly in hunt, so I take both my Pentax and my swarvo to base camp. I generally pack the swarvo, because I feel the toughness and quality of the unit is better, less chance of a failure in the field, days away from home.
If I plan on taking photos through my spotter (phoneskope and iPhone), my Pentax is what goes in my pack, that’s one place my Pentax does shine noticeably over my swarvo, which was one of the things that surprised me the most, after reading so many great reviews about swarvo and digiscoping.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
Yup but not when glassing miles from the truck. Kinda why I am shying away from Kowa.

19514_10206088992524923_5618431483959587012_n.jpg

Anyone using a BTX, I am kinda intrigued by this.

[video=youtube;g6Regd8-IiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Regd8-IiQ[/video]
What chair is that?