Swaro vs Vortex

You may be right...last time you used my spotter to locate a herd of Kaibab elk that magically turned into speed goats when we moved in on em. LOL

For you guys wanting a 65, here's one cheap and hardly used at all: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/roks...60x65-spotting-scope.html?posted=1#post935975
That makes the point of quality crisp image glass that everyone here is telling you. At that distance, all we both could tell was that we had ungulates way way way below us. Unfortunately, you nor I could tell what they actually were. Could top tier glass have made a difference?

OP
Where's Bruce?
May hafta spend the money on repairs and more armour. Yesterday the driver of the white panel commercial truck in Laguna Hills (who is either on drugs or stopped taking his meds) nearly killed me in a head-on. I was able to swerve hard to my right, jumped the curb, ran through some landscaping before entering a largely vacant parking lot. As the other driver sped away I collided with a big boulder that was in the middle of the landscaping my truck plowed into and moved 15'. I'm fine, my truck is in the shop and I await the the prognosis. Could not even get the truck on a flatbed, all four tires are locked up. Could be a safety feature once the tranny fluid was gone (an automated computer lock-up) or it could be major damage to the drive train. I guess I will find out. I start a 6 week vacation manana...it's off to a bumpy start. (((sigh))) Other drivers just piss me off...PUT YOUR ****ING PHONE IN YOUR POCKET AND WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU'RE GOING WHEN YOU DRIVE!!! Thinking I may need to add more armour to the underside...like a front differential skid plate. I'm pretty careful how I navigate hazards offroad and have protection underneath for "objects" that can kick up and damage soft stuff like the fuel tank but am rethinking that decision now. Hate to add more weight to the darn thing but I guess it's better to be prepared for the unexpected. I just can't believe how fast this happened...Be careful out there, the idiots have us outnumbered and your day can go from great to "Holy Sh*t!" in a nanosecond.

32983255_10215959174513304_3523533166105067520_n.jpg

32889411_10215959174273298_2539059952429826048_n.jpg

32792476_10215959174673308_7786757054605033472_n.jpg

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
May hafta spend the money on repairs and more armour. Yesterday the driver of the white panel commercial truck in Laguna Hills (who is either on drugs or stopped taking his meds) nearly killed me in a head-on. I was able to swerve hard to my right, jumped the curb, ran through some landscaping before entering a largely vacant parking lot. As the other driver sped away I collided with a big boulder that was in the middle of the landscaping my truck plowed into and moved 15'. I'm fine, my truck is in the shop and I await the the prognosis. Could not even get the truck on a flatbed, all four tires are locked up. Could be a safety feature once the tranny fluid was gone (an automated computer lock-up) or it could be major damage to the drive train. I guess I will find out. I start a 6 week vacation manana...it's off to a bumpy start. (((sigh))) Other drivers just piss me off...PUT YOUR ****ING PHONE IN YOUR POCKET AND WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU'RE GOING WHEN YOU DRIVE!!! Thinking I may need to add more armour to the underside...like a front differential skip plate. I'm pretty careful how I navigate hazards offroad and have protection underneath for "objects" that can kick up and damage soft stuff like the fuel tank but am rethinking that decision now. Hate to add more weight to the darn thing but I guess it's better to be prepared for the unexpected. I just can't believe how fast this happened...Be careful out there, the idiots have us outnumbered and your day can go from great to "Holy Sh*t!" in a nanosecond.

32983255_10215959174513304_3523533166105067520_n.jpg

32889411_10215959174273298_2539059952429826048_n.jpg

32792476_10215959174673308_7786757054605033472_n.jpg

Shit'll buff out.

fatrascal

WKR
So I went to Sportsmans Warehouse in Twinn Falls a couple of years ago and the Optics dealer set up a Vortex 85 generation 1 and a Swarovski 65 on tripods. He then had me look through the Vortex while he took an index card and barely covered the objective lens. Then he slowly started pushing the card down over the lens and told me to stop him when it went dark. When I stopped him he had about one half of the objective lens covered up. Then we repeated this test on the Swarovski and when I stopped him he had about Three quarters of the lens covered up. I was shocked at the difference. He then proceeded to tell me that sometimes he can set up two Vortexes and see a huge difference between the two. My money will go to Swarovski. Wheres Bruce, nice truck. I'm a Dodge Cummins lover. Fatrascal

OP
Where's Bruce?
So I went to Sportsmans Warehouse in Twinn Falls a couple of years ago and the Optics dealer set up a Vortex 85 generation 1 and a Swarovski 65 on tripods. He then had me look through the Vortex while he took an index card and barely covered the objective lens. Then he slowly started pushing the card down over the lens and told me to stop him when it went dark. When I stopped him he had about one half of the objective lens covered up. Then we repeated this test on the Swarovski and when I stopped him he had about Three quarters of the lens covered up. I was shocked at the difference. He then proceeded to tell me that sometimes he can set up two Vortexes and see a huge difference between the two. My money will go to Swarovski. Wheres Bruce, nice truck. I'm a Dodge Cummins lover. Fatrascal

Thanks...I'm gonna try that test. Interesting, I would not have thought of trying that. So the QC at Vortex is lacking and all their scopes of the same model and size are not equal? Huh.

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve put a hole in the oil pan my old F250 via a large rock, mine was self induced though. Thought I was on a log in tall grass.

There isn’t a comparison on razor vs swaro. But both will get the job done

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks...I'm gonna try that test. Interesting, I would not have thought of trying that. So the QC at Vortex is lacking and all their scopes of the same model and size are not equal? Huh.

Personally, I would say this is the number one downfall of Vortex period. I have seen so many broken from things that a spotter or binos should be able to withstand. Warranties are great but I have never seen a FedEx truck 5 miles in a wilderness.