Swaro vs Vortex

I have two Vortex spotters (a 65 & 80)...one is straight, the other angled and they seem sufficient however...I recently upgraded my binos from Kahles to Swaros and am very impressed. Swaro and Kahles are both European glass, Vortex is Chinese. For those who have had an opportunity to peer thru comparable versions of these, how much difference is there? The pricing difference is huge...that's for sure.

A value of how much better they are is entirely subjective of course, for me I would say the SLCs vs Razors I looked through are about half as much better as the cost difference....diminishing returns.

I did contact vortex and told them to make a razor AMG binocular to rival Swaro glass and I'll buy it.

I looked through the SLC HD and thought, yeah... I get it. But I don't get it when jumping from SLC to EL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I have two Vortex spotters (a 65 & 80)...one is straight, the other angled and they seem sufficient however...I recently upgraded my binos from Kahles to Swaros and am very impressed. Swaro and Kahles are both European glass, Vortex is Chinese. For those who have had an opportunity to peer thru comparable versions of these, how much difference is there? The pricing difference is huge...that's for sure.
It's night and day on the spotters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I had one of the gen 1 Razor HD 65mm spotters for about 3 years and it worked well for me. I compared it side by side to a buddy’s Swaro HD 65mm spotter for a week in WY in all types of hunting conditions. Under ideal conditions, the Swaro advantages are noticeable but not dramatic. Under less than ideal conditions the Swaro performance really is much better. I sold my Razor HD and bought a Swaro HD 65mm spotter a couple years ago and every time I use it I am glad I have it. Absolutely worth it to me.

As others have mentioned the differences for the untrained eye will be moderate during normal light. The real differences are in the low light conditions. Kowa optics are another great choice that are a little less expensive than the Swaro’s.

Most people really don’t know how to judge the quality of their optics or optics they’re researching. Most people are good at examining the edge-to-edge clarity and brightness of a particular optic. Some people are even pretty good at observing the chromatic aberration. And those are important factors when looking at glass. However the most overlooked and least understood aspect is the scopes low light or “shadow detail” as I call it. Most folks assume that you have to use the optic during low light conditions for a proper test. This helps but it’s far from true. It’s actually very easy to check middle of the day at your local sporting good store. Here’s how!

Ask the sales rep to take several comparable models of optics outside for a test. Now look for the wheel well of a vehicle, preferably the big jacked up lifted truck in the back of the parking lot that belongs to the sales rep in the hunting dept. (no stereotypes intended) Make sure you select a wheel well that is partially or completely shaded. You don’t want to be looking into a wheel well that’s illuminated by the sun or any other light source (reflection from a business or car window). The distance is really subjective. Obviously the further the better but not to exceed the limits of the chosen optics. Find something across the street if you have to. I also recommend asking for a tripod. It’s essential to hold the optics completely still during this test.

Now start examining the wheel well with one of the chosen optics. See what you can see and then compare it to another chosen optic. Can you see the struts, the coils, components of the engine compartment or other fine details? I guarantee you will see things with quality optics that you simply won’t be able to see or make out from the lessor optics. This is what your looking for.

Have you ever seen a monster Muley buck bedded down in the wide open sunlit hillside? NO!! They’re always bedded in the shadows and your ability to pick apart the shadows is what separates hunters from killers!!

I’ve done this with almost every major optics manufacture. I fully believe that everyone’s eyes are different and some will find that they see better shadow detail with brand “X” while I may find better shadow detail with brand “Y”.

For me brand “Y” had been Swaro. The Kowa is an amazingly close 2nd place with their Prominar lens systems. I run Swaro Binos and a Kowa spotter because the difference between the Kowa and the Swaro spotter was so minimal that it wasn’t worth the difference in $5-700 price tag. The 77mm Kowa is also lighter than the 80mm Swaro.

Cheers and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Hands down Swarovski. Its the best glass in the world and most people would say the same. You get what you pay for with optics in my personal opinion. The SLC's are a great bino the light transfer with them is amazing. El's are my personal favorite. I gave the El 10x42 and I love them. There's not much of a difference between the two. On paper there is a difference but with the naked eye some will say there is a huge difference and others won't. Its all on personal preference. Now for Spotters nothing can compare to Swarovski spotting scopes. The 65mm is a great spotter but the best bang for your buck is the 85mm. Its not as heavy as the 95mm, but you have way more light transfer than the 65mm with way more field of view. If you do end up getting one go with a modular system there are way more options than there is with a fixed.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Hands down Swarovski. Its the best glass in the world and most people would say the same. You get what you pay for with optics in my personal opinion. The SLC's are a great bino the light transfer with them is amazing. El's are my personal favorite. I gave the El 10x42 and I love them. There's not much of a difference between the two. On paper there is a difference but with the naked eye some will say there is a huge difference and others won't. Its all on personal preference. Now for Spotters nothing can compare to Swarovski spotting scopes. The 65mm is a great spotter but the best bang for your buck is the 85mm. Its not as heavy as the 95mm, but you have way more light transfer than the 65mm with way more field of view. If you do end up getting one go with a modular system there are way more options than there is with a fixed.

Okay, I'm convinced. I love the SLCs because i can easily hold em with one hand and as a bowhunter, that's a big advantage. Now...can you expand on this last part a bit?

marktole

WKR
Okay, I'm convinced. I love the SLCs because i can easily hold em with one hand and as a bowhunter, that's a big advantage. Now...can you expand on this last part a bit?

I believe what scott@1shotgear is saying is to pony up the big bucks for the ATX/STX series of spotters from Swarovski. They have a modular setup, 3 eye pieces (straight, angled, BTX), and 3 objective lenses (65, 85, 95). Buy once, cry once. I've got a 65mm ATX and it is incredible, luckily I was able to get a good deal on it to soften the blow to the bank account.

Example of what scott@1shotgear means by getting the modular system for the options: I got a 65mm because I didn't want to carry an extra 8oz of weight for the 85mm. Also got an angled eyepiece because I prefer that to straight. Now, in the future, I would like to get a bigger lens for it for hunts that are closer to the road and weight isn't as big of a concern. I'd have the choice to just buy an 85 or 95mm lense instead of a whole new spotting scope (even though the 85 and 95mm ATX/STX objective lenses cost as much as a new spotting scope).

OP
Where's Bruce?
So if you wanted a very powerful scope with a straight and angled eyepiece...how much coin is that?

I'd sell the 50 and 80, and pick up the 95 for times when the extra weight to clarity matters.

270quest

WKR

Us Leica guys may disagree with you on the best glass in the world statement...Especially the Noctovid....to me this is the best glass in the world. Best binocular on the market IMHO.

dotman

WKR
Bruce if you go Swaro you should be able to call and work a better price then retailers are required to list, you should be able to get an ATX 85 for just over $3800 new if you want to add a little work on your part. I still would go with the Kowa, sell your Vortex spotters and get the Kowa 55mm and 88mm and you’ll be set for less then you’ll spend on an ATX 95, if you want extended zoom over what the WA eyepiece has there is an extender that will take the 88 out to 90x zoom.

Don’t just throw money out there find out what you’ll actually use. Your crazy to think about getting both straight and angled, just get angled and use the rotating collar.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Bruce
Your crazy to think about getting both straight and angled, just get angled and use the rotating collar.

Insanity aside, there are often times when when glassing from the truck using a window mount makes a straight scope easier...especially in cold and/or windy weather. Done this countless times in situations where road hunting and/or tons of glassing from offroad high spots (like when hunting javelina) is necessary and the only productive way to locate your game. My angled scopes hurt my neck and back, the result of motorcycling accidents. Anyone in favor of the BTX?

Dotman, who wheels and deals?

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Insanity aside, there are often times when when glassing from the truck using a window mount makes a straight scope easier...especially in cold and/or windy weather. Done this countless times in situations where road hunting and/or tons of glassing from offroad high spots (like when hunting javelina) is necessary and the only productive way to locate your game. My angled scopes hurt my neck and back, the result of motorcycling accidents. Anyone in favor of the BTX?

Dotman, who wheels and deals?

Rokslide sponsors (cameralandny, s&sarchery and oneshotgear to name a few) just give them a call. Have you ever tried rotating the angled on the collar, while not the same as straight it’s close.

Are you seriously packing an 80mm often (serious question) if not just go straight for easy glassing from the truck etc. If you want a great spotter that is compact get a Kowa 55.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/82024-kowa-tsn-553-review-luke-moffat.html