A conundrum. New glass or new shotgun?

Boreal

WKR
So what to do, what to do? I’ve got a pair of 25year old Zeiss 10x40 BGA binoculars that I compared to a new pair of Leica Trinovids, Swaro SLC, and Maven B1. I didn’t expect the improvement to be as stark as it was. It’s time to upgrade.

I’ve also got a 25 year old Remington 870 12 gauge, but recently shot a Franchi Affinity 3 semiauto. I knew the improvement would be substantial. It’s time to upgrade.

I just finished 3 weeks on Jury Duty and have that jury stipend burnin’ a hole. So what’s your call? Replace the 25 year old Zeiss or the 25 year old 870?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
So what to do, what to do? I’ve got a pair of 25year old Zeiss 10x40 BGA binoculars that I compared to a new pair of Leica Trinovids, Swaro SLC, and Maven B1. I didn’t expect the improvement to be as stark as it was. It’s time to upgrade.

I’ve also got a 25 year old Remington 870 12 gauge, but recently shot a Franchi Affinity 3 semiauto. I knew the improvement would be substantial. It’s time to upgrade.

I just finished 3 weeks on Jury Duty and have that jury stipend burnin’ a hole. So what’s your call? Replace the 25 year old Zeiss or the 25 year old 870?

I've killed more shit than their bubonic plague with my 870..

Bought a bunch of shot guns since, back to the 870..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Tough call. They tend to be used on entirely different critters, so it might come down to what you are chasing more of. If you are bird hunting, then you can get by with about any binos; if you are packing in for big game then the optics is an easy choice.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
i am in the same spot and it is going to be glass. My dad bought the 870 in 1979 its been killing stuff since and will for years to come.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using my 870 Wingmaster since the early 80's. I don't see any downsides to it at all...still smooth as silk.

Isn't the jury stipend like $5 a day? That's not much to burn a hole in anything, even three weeks worth.

Dude...this is rokslide! W-T-F are you thinking?!! The obvious answer is BOTH. Duh.

Isn't the jury stipend like $5 a day? That's not much to burn a hole in anything, even three weeks worth.

It probably depends on where you’re at. $25/day in Anchorage with 4 day weeks. So $300 here and it probably won’t do much for quality binos or a quality shotgun, but it’s a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freebird

WKR
For me its hands down glass, but then I don't have any use for a shotgun and if I did I would buy an Ithaca model 37

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
New pair of Maven B2 9x45 are on their way. I'll have a great set of backup glass, and the Ol' 870 will continue doing its thing for a while longer.

Binoculars....my Swaro ELs cost less than my SxS shotgun but get a lot more use. My old M12 does almost as well and carries almost as well as the SxS but my old Zeiss 10x40s weren’t even close to my Swaros. Good luck with your choice!

Binos man. Seems like you made a good choice. I will admit that I'm all in for big game hunting and don't really care at all about bird hunting.