Best Range Finder for the Money

lif

WKR
Looking for the best bang for the buck. Anywhere from $200-800. Just getting into archery and trying to figure out which range works the best in your opinion. Thanks.

Choice depends on application. Archery or long range rifle? Big difference! Want it to compensate for steep angles? Big difference. Pairing with ballistics app? Big difference.

Last edited:
OP
L

lif

WKR
Sorry I wasn’t clear on my initial entry. I am getting into archery. It will be used for that

OP
L

lif

WKR
Heard Leica 1000 is good unit. Any opinions on that?

I've had my Leica 900 for dang near 10 years. For average rifle hunting on the prairie out to 4 it's good. Then I still was shooting a compound when I first got it and it was good for that. I just learned to adjust for the angles. I love that it's simple and the glass is amazing. If I was into long range shooting or had a hot rod compound id probably get something with the angle comp, but this works for my needs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for the best bang for the buck. Anywhere from $200-800. Just getting into archery and trying to figure out which range works the best in your opinion. Thanks.

The Leica 2700 B is what I would go with. Lecia has the best technology when it comes to a rangefinder. I was hesitant to get one at first, but I was able to play around with it and I was able to range something at 3000 yards on our ranch. It is way more powerful than what they say. Also if you ever go rifle hunting you can add your ballistics into the rangefinder itself. The price isn't to bad on them with (ROK10) discount code either. I think it brings them right down to $810.

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
For archery, I see no need to splurge on a top tier RF. Id say get a used one off ebay for 200 bucks (or less) and call it good. If you rifle shoot as well as bow, then Id see investing in something with more legs.

I was just in the market for a new RF myself and ended up with the Leica 2000b. Eurooptic has them for 399 right now.

TheCougar

WKR
I wouldn’t cut corners. Sure it’s archery now, but you you never know when you will need it for a rifle hunt (I was in your shoes, and I’m glad I went with more than what I needed at the time). I have the Leica. I like it, but it isn’t perfect. Pros: reliable, excellent glass, actually works to advertised ranges. Cons: large aiming reference, slow range readings and I don’t like that it the angular range display takes even longer. My model is a few years old, so they may have fixed that. I range, wait 2 seconds, range displayed, wait two more seconds, THEN it displays true corrected range. I’ve heard there was a Nikon (I think) at the SHOT show that was awesome. They mentioned it briefly on Kifarucast.

Sig kilo 2000 is good value.

Blows away vortex

Can be had cheap as chips..

That being said go with the 2800 Leica if you can swing it. Gorgeous glass and lightning quick

OP
L

lif

WKR
Definitely only want for archery. I rifle hunt but not interested in long range shooting. I’ve been told the Leica 1000.

264win

WKR
For archery, angle compensation is a big plus.
Personally I would recommend the Zeiss or Bushnell. I like the larger objectives for bigger field of view and better performance in low light conditions.
Personally I much prefer using lrf binoculars for archery hunting.

nmiller08

Lil-Rokslider
If you definitely only want archery and you really don't want to spend a lot, I've had a Leica 1600, Vortex 1000, and a Nikon 7 and 3i...only one I still have is the Nikon prostaff 7 that's about 5 years old. Got it used for around $100, and it's very fast (slow readings are really a pain in close encounters, the Vortex was the worst), consistent, and has angle compensation. It's perfect for archery only use, my opinion save the extra cash for something else you'll need

dotman

WKR
Might want to look at the new Nikon with image stabilization, think it’s around $400.

Don’t get anything that is older then a year or two model, RF tech has quickly been improving the last year or so. The Vortex is slow and clunky, had one, the Sig is super fast and consistent and the Leica is great. With the Leica I would make sure you get the 1600b or newer.

Another option is rangfinding binos, the Leica HD-R would work well for your needs and cameralandny has had demos recently for around $1100.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/96681-leica-geovid-10x42-sale.html

The Sig 2000 is pretty hard to beat at its price point. I picked one up for $350 on sale last year and have been very impressed with it. I do think the Leicas have better glass but come in at a higher price point.

ElkNut1

WKR
I disagree with some of this, the Sig's I picked up are not as good as the Vortex 1500 -- I'm back with the Vortex 1500 after two Sig 2200's - I bought into the hype thinking the grass was greener, it wasn't so! The Vortex is fast, sleek & bright!

ElkNut/Paul

I’ve been using a used Leupold 1000 TBi for a few years now. Bought it ‘well used’ for a good price. For archery distances it’s been good. Has angle compensation and all that.

Only downside is that I want to use it for rifle as well but it simply won’t range past 200 or so in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doc88

FNG
Another vote for Sig Kilo 2000. Can be set for angular and line of sight ranging. Mine has been very accurate and fast.