Rangefinder for use in the mountains

Hi. I'm just wondering about what folks would recommend for a rangefinder for all around use but especially in the mountains. I don't shoot much past 300 yds, but like the idea of a solid rangefinder for picking out distances to targets to get into position for a shot, things like that. I want a rangefinder that compensates for the angle of the shot and will work reliably when it counts on ranging game. Leica? Sig? Others? I'm not looking to break the bank, just want a solid unit with angle compensation for average distance shots. Thank you.

Vortex 1000 has all the features you mention I run one and really like it so far, best bang for your buck on range finders if you ask me.

LaHunter

WKR
Sig is gaining a following. Based on many reviews, they have good rangefinders. I have had very good performance from my Leica 1600. Leica compact range finders have been around for years. Just make sure you read the specs on which ever rangefinder you decide to buy. Just because is has 1000 or 2000 as part of the name, does not mean it will give ranges at that distance. Also, the distance that a rangefinder will give readings on animals is usually less that that of 'reflective' targets. Just like most things, you typically get what you pay for with rangefinders.