Kowa 77 vs Swaro ats 65

dotman

WKR
I’d take the 77 everyday over the 65 Swaro. I had the 80mm ATS HD with both 20-60 and 25-50 eyepieces, my Kowa 55 is close enough at 45x to the big Swaro I sold the Swaro. The 77 wil allow for more light to enter then the 65 and Kowa is one of the top brands optically you can get.

When I can afford it I’ll be adding a 77 with the wide angle eyepiece and extender.

otcWill

FNG
I just bought the Kowa 77 after putting it right next to buddy's swaro 65. I have perfect vision and the only difference I could see was that the Kowa is brighter in low light and less expensive. Easy decision. Both are top quality

I just bought the Kowa 77 after putting it right next to buddy's swaro 65. I have perfect vision and the only difference I could see was that the Kowa is brighter in low light and less expensive. Easy decision. Both are top quality

Looking at making the same decision myself between the kowa 77 and Swaro ATS 65.

If both scopes had same performance except low light. What would you recommend to a guy backpacking in steep country looking to save weight? I don’t want to skimp on optics however I would like to go as light as possible. I think the weight difference is 9 ounces which is fairly significant for an ounce weeny like myself.

Also, what kind of distances were you performing the tests at? I’ve found glassing long distance can be a good way to separate optics even though you might not be glassing those distances in Hunting situations. I appreciate the info here as I don’t have a way of testing these optics myself. I might have to make a trip out to visit the guys at s and s.

Last question. What eyepieces were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otcWill

FNG
I've tested them from 1-3 miles in the mountains and off my deck from about 6-7 miles to the foothills. Also looked at the moon with both. I'm not an ounce counter myself but if you put ounces>$ then maybe consider the 65 swaro. The Kowa slightly outperformed it in low light at all distances. The 11xTE wide angle eyepiece is the only way to go. Good luck! You certainly won't be disappointed with either scope.

dotman

WKR
Looking at making the same decision myself between the kowa 77 and Swaro ATS 65.

If both scopes had same performance except low light. What would you recommend to a guy backpacking in steep country looking to save weight? I don’t want to skimp on optics however I would like to go as light as possible. I think the weight difference is 9 ounces which is fairly significant for an ounce weeny like myself.

Also, what kind of distances were you performing the tests at? I’ve found glassing long distance can be a good way to separate optics even though you might not be glassing those distances in Hunting situations. I appreciate the info here as I don’t have a way of testing these optics myself. I might have to make a trip out to visit the guys at s and s.

Last question. What eyepieces were you using?

I’d recommend the Kowa 55mm series over both of the above for what you want.

I've tested them from 1-3 miles in the mountains and off my deck from about 6-7 miles to the foothills. Also looked at the moon with both. I'm not an ounce counter myself but if you put ounces>$ then maybe consider the 65 swaro. The Kowa slightly outperformed it in low light at all distances. The 11xTE wide angle eyepiece is the only way to go. Good luck! You certainly won't be disappointed with either scope.

Thanks. From what I’ve seen, you can get both used for roughly the same price. Would that change anything for you? I would definitely go with the Kowa 77 if weight wasn’t a factor

Were you using the 25-50 wa eye piece on the Swaro?

I’d recommend the Kowa 55mm series over both of the above for what you want.

Thanks dotman. That kowa 55 Scope looks sweet. My concern with that scope is the fov. The specs say it’s smaller than the vanguard endeavor. I’m not sure I could take a narrower fov than the vanguard. I use my scope for scanning for bedded deer from time to time and would appreciate a wide fov.

super

Banned
Well it's confirmed then, Kowa 770 spotter optics are better than Swaro 65hd. Another important part of the OP review somehow seems to be missed by everyone and that is the "focus". Of the two, the Kowa's dual focus is far superior especially when viewing on high magnification.

asac12

FNG
What is the size difference between the 2? I tried searching for pictures, but can't find a good side-by-side comparison of the 2. The 663 with the 770/880 zoom eyepiece would be an instant buy for me.

PredatorX

WKR
That is a screaming deal on the 88 that camera land is offering. I think there are lots of other areas to cut weight before optics in my eyes.

I'd really like to see how the meopta S2 compares with the 77.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

rm06

WKR
I was 100% settled on the 65mm 25-50 Swaro before reading this thread, even after speaking on the phone with the guys at S&S. Now I'm gonna have to reconsider, gee thanks a lot fellas!

I was 100% settled on the 65mm 25-50 Swaro before reading this thread, even after speaking on the phone with the guys at S&S. Now I'm gonna have to reconsider, gee thanks a lot fellas!

What did the guys at sands say that convinced you to get the Swaro 25-50x65?

rm06

WKR
What did the guys at sands say that convinced you to get the Swaro 25-50x65?

It wasn't so much their recommendation of one over the other but given their description of very minor functional and performance differences, I was (and am currently on the fence) of the opinion that if I should ever have to part ways with the scope that it would be a heck of a lot easier to recoup the value of a Swarovski vs Kowa. I certainly don't go into big purchases thinking I may have to sell down the road but the possibility does exist. I also already own Swarovski products and they are a known quantity in the hunting world where Kowa is a relative newcomer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Which scope did you end up with? Kowa is only a relative newcomer in the hunting world. The birding world has been singing their praises for decades.
It wasn't so much their recommendation of one over the other but given their description of very minor functional and performance differences, I was (and am currently on the fence) of the opinion that if I should ever have to part ways with the scope that it would be a heck of a lot easier to recoup the value of a Swarovski vs Kowa. I certainly don't go into big purchases thinking I may have to sell down the road but the possibility does exist. I also already own Swarovski products and they are a known quantity in the hunting world where Kowa is a relative newcomer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M
I got the kowa 773 with the 11xTE eyepiece.
Man this thing is sweet.
My bro has the swaro 20x60x65 so not a direct comparison to the 25x50. There is not a huge difference but I feel the kowa is slightly better.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm debating this as well. Almost pulled the trigger on a 77 this weekend. I just figured it's a lot easier to get my money back out of a Swaro. I really wish Swaro would offer a competitor to a Kowa 55.

Ronb

WKR
Just curious, why the constant comparison of the kowa 77 vs. the swaro ats 65. The kowa has a nearly 20% larger objective. Why not compare it to the ats 80. That would seem to be a more fair comparison.