15x binos vs spotting scope

Hi all, I really enjoy using my 65mm spotter but I haven't used 15x binos before. I'm curious about their advantages over a spotter. In an ideal world where price and pounds don't exist, have both, sure, but the assumption here is that you have to pick one.

The test that I'm wondering about is spotting (primarily) and judging (secondarily since I'm not a devout trophy hunter) elk and deer at typical Western distances outside the range of an 8-10x bino (say, 1.5-3 miles). Is there normally better clarity or light gathering with binos?

I don't care to hear about eye strain because I don't experience any really with a mid-range spotter on a decent tripod. I also don't care about being able to find game that you have already spotted in your smaller binos because I've never had trouble doing that with my spotter, even though it's angled. After some practice, it's been no biggie.

I suspect that they're actually pretty similar 15x is 15x and two lenses versus one doesn't significantly change the viewing. If so, that works in favor of the spotter because of the versatility of the higher magnification when needed. The weight difference is only a pound or so usually, I believe. I think a lot of people are just more familiar with using binos and haven't tried glassing with spotters and so they automatically assume glassing with the binos are better.

dotman

WKR
I much prefer my spotter over 15’s. I use my 10’s on a tripod 90% of the time and the spotter to verify anything.

OP
I
Why is that? Why aren't you using your spotter to glass at distances past two miles? Just curious.

dotman

WKR
Because 10’s will glass very far off a tripod and if there is anything I’m not 100% on or want a closer look at that is what the spotter is for. Our brain was designed to use both eyes so it is easier for grid searching and sitting behind binos for hours on end then just using a spotter to glass. The 15x binos will only take you so far and you’ll still want a spotter to get a closer look.

This is just my style but quality optics really make a difference. Close your left eye for 3 hours and tell me how that goes, if you plan to do a lot of glassing with a spotter this will be a good test.

Mike7

WKR
I have never had a really good spotter of my own, but I can say emphatically from my experience, that unless you are going to spend at least $1,000 on a spotter (even used), I don't think they are worth it at all compared to decent 15's.

I have decent 15's (not top of the line) and I can see far more and also more comfortably off my tripod than my prior non-top of the line 80mn spotter (a spotter which by the way had really good reviews by some on here for the price range). Every bit of my 15 power is useable in most weather conditions, whereas the spotter was pretty useless above 25 power in most weather conditions.

The 15x's are really light compared to a spotting scope (1/2 the wt) and work great for spotting animals out to a few miles, and for taking a closer more detailed look at things that I spot up closer within 1.5 miles with my wide angle 8x's.

Mike7

WKR
A spotter without high quality optics, just seems to suffer way more in performance than a low powered bino without the highest quality optics.

WKR
People far smarter and more experienced than myself seem to go with the idea that 15's are better for looking FOR stuff/animals while a spotter is better for looking AT stuff once you know where it is.

dotman

WKR
I have never had a really good spotter of my own, but I can say emphatically from my experience, that unless you are going to spend at least $1,000 on a spotter (even used), I don't think they are worth it at all compared to decent 15's.

I have decent 15's (not top of the line) and I can see far more and also more comfortably off my tripod than my prior non-top of the line 80mn spotter (a spotter which by the way had really good reviews by some on here for the price range). Every bit of my 15 power is useable in most weather conditions, whereas the spotter was pretty useless above 25 power in most weather conditions.

The 15x's are really light compared to a spotting scope (1/2 the wt) and work great for spotting animals out to a few miles, and for taking a closer more detailed look at things that I spot up closer within 1.5 miles with my wide angle 8x's.

You need to try the Kowa 55mm series, weighs less and is optically superior to any 15 on the market.

OP
I
I don't use a spotter exclusively. My 10x binos are the primary optic still. So, no, I don't experience eye strain and I'm not closing one eye for 8 hours straight.

Mike7

WKR
You need to try the Kowa 55mm series, weighs less and is optically superior to any 15 on the market.

It sounds like a really good one, although it would have to have a rotating collar for the angled version for me. I just know now that I will never ever purchase a spotter unless I have saved up for a really high quality one. The 77mm angled Kowa seems like the perfect fairly packable companion to my 8x and 15x binos.

ahlgringo

WKR
Yes I have done that, wear it all day and report back.

6 hrs is as long as I have worn it in a day. Again- world of difference compared to not using one. If I break that record of mine- i will report directly back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyB

WKR
I have only had my spotter a short time so take this for what it is worth.
I have had slc 15's for a few years and really like them, but you know how it is, wanted a spotter to be able to see further and more detail.
Eventually saved and picked up a ats65 hd.

From what I have used of it so far I would not take the spotter over the 15's on a hunt. I can not see an advantage in the magnification verses the brightness, field of view and detail of the 15's. I get more magnification with the spotter but lose the detail. Normal conditions I wouldn't bother much over 35x with the spotter. Its a 25-50. Sheep hunting it may come into its own.

I would have to say that so far the 15 are superior for me in all conditions, apart maybe in the clearest brightest conditions. Going from 20 mins on the spotter to the 15's gives me the wow factor and clearly demonstrates the eye strain that accompanies a spotter. I can glass comfortably all day with the 15's.

These opinions may change as I spend more time on the spotter, but for finding game at distance the 15's are the one for me.

Edit: the spotter is quite a bit better for looking at a bright full moon, :)

Last edited:

PredatorX

WKR
I have only had my spotter a short time so take this for what it is worth.
I have had slc 15's for a few years and really like them, but you know how it is, wanted a spotter to be able to see further and more detail.
Eventually saved and picked up a ats65 hd.

From what I have used of it so far I would not take the spotter over the 15's on a hunt. I can not see an advantage in the magnification verses the brightness, field of view and detail of the 15's. I get more magnification with the spotter but lose the detail. Normal conditions I wouldn't bother much over 35x with the spotter. Its a 25-50. Sheep hunting it may come into its own.

I would have to say that so far the 15 are superior for me in all conditions, apart maybe in the clearest brightest conditions. Going from 20 mins on the spotter to the 15's gives me the wow factor and clearly demonstrates the eye strain that accompanies a spotter. I can glass comfortably all day with the 15's.

These opinions may change as I spend more time on the spotter, but for finding game at distance the 15's are the one for me.

Edit: the spotter is quite a bit better for looking at a bright full moon, :)
What kind of distance are are talking about with the 15's? Also I know the 65 is a good one but I can't help but wonder if an 80+ scope will light things up for you. I had my S2 out today in an overcast sky and could pick out an elk at 5 miles if he was standing in the quarry I was looking at in Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk