Leupold ultralight 3x9. OK for center-fire rifles? Recommended?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am looking at a lightweight scope for a 7mm-08. My shots will be 400 yards or less. I have a VX3 2.5 x 8 and it is a great scope but I am looking at a weight reduction. My guess is I will give up some FOV and likely some low light advantage but I am ok with that.

I have done some research and the 3x9 ultralight gets quite a bit of negative reviews. My though was that I could get it and if it doesn't work out for the 7mm-08 I could put in on a .22 but I am mostly looking at it for a center-fire.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe they redid the UL’s a couple years ago. The old model got tons of bad press.

I done exactly that. Had it on my Kimber Montana 260 for a couple years and then shuffled it to a .22 rifle. Best use of the scope there is...... Stick with the 2.5-8.

shooter77

FNG
I have the 3-9 Ultralight on a Kimber .270 and it’s been a fine scope for its intended purpose. I have the model with the CDS turret and though it hasn’t been engraved to my specific gun, I have no problems with it returning/holding zero. For a rifle I don’t intend to push over 400-450yds, I can’t complain. Not saying that won’t change but I’m happy with it so far.

I owned one years ago on a Remington 541S .22. It was OK but had very short eye relief. I sold it with the .22 and don't really miss it...much prefer the VX3 2.5-8x36 or the VX2 2-7x33 for big game and predator calling.

mtnkid85

WKR
I run one with a CDS dial on a Kimber 30-06. Ive only had it for ~a year but Ive run quite a few rounds through it and dialed it out to ~750yrds a few times. Seems to be holding up well.