8x32 --> 8x42 Worth twice the price?

Gearing up for September, and there's a lot on my list. Looking at the Cabelas Euro HD/Meopta Meostar HD, and seems the 8x32's sell for about half of what the 8x42's cost ($400 vs $800). I know 8x42 would be the better option, but do they let in enough extra light to justify twice the cost? How close are they in performance?

Beendare

WKR
I can only tell you my experience.

I had a pair of 8x30 Zeiss binos....and after using them side by side with some good 8x42's I sold them and went to the 42's. The smaller binos would be perfect for short range glassing where compact is a priority....but the light gathering is lacking.

To balance that ^ out....I do know guys that like their 8x32's.

Ideally, if you can test them side by side outdoors at dusk...that should tell you whether they are right for you.

Trial153

WKR
8x32 and 10x42 els are amazing considering the size and weight. There is a lot of upside in them. I am using swaro as as example as i have the most experience with them.

If you can afford it, having two pair binoculars, 8x32 and 10x42 in my case (and 15x56) are a great option, just like having multiple choices in boots, coats, pants, etc. I find myself grabbing whichever pair makes the most sense for the hunt I am going on. To explain further, the 10x42 always go sheep hunting (see forever, horn curl and age restrictions), caribou hunting (antler point restrictions), etc. The 8x32 are my choice for tighter cover elk hunting, most whitetail hunting from tree stands unless you can see forever into the ag lands, moose calling, hiking around the house, etc. The 8x32 are a joy to carry...the 10x42s not so much. If mainly carrying them in the vehicle or quad size and weight doesn't matter much. Light gathering has always been satisfactory for me with either the 8x32 or 10x42 (both with a twilight factor of 4....never thought I needed brighter binos than that for where I bowhunt) Decide which traits are most important to you for what you use your binos for. Pick one and be happy!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I love 8x32s. They are light, compact, and have a super wide FOV, wider than the 8X42. They have a similar exit pupil to the 10X42, and so are similarly bright. the 8X42s do have a brightness advantage in really low light with the larger exit pupil, though.

To oversimplify: 8x32-view for yards, dense cover; 8x42-view for a mile or two, at least some farther-away openings.

I agree with blockcaver: "To explain further, the 10x42 always go sheep hunting (see forever, horn curl and age restrictions), caribou hunting (antler point restrictions), etc. The 8x32 are my choice for tighter cover elk hunting, most whitetail hunting from tree stands unless you can see forever into the ag lands, moose calling, hiking around the house, etc.". The main but not the only issue is loss of light transmission. There's sound reasons why 10x42 and 8x42 are so much more popular than the compact binos.

OP
P
Thanks all for the feedback. This will be primarily for an early season elk hunt in Idaho. Seems like the 8x32 might be a better option to start, and put the other $400 towards other equipment. Later down the line, I can invest in another pair of binos, like the Maven 9x45's that look delicious.

WRO

WKR
Why is this? They have the same magnification. I have used 8x32s for glassing several miles away effectively.
I spotted a bull at 3.2 miles with my 8x32el..

I feel I give up nothing to the 8x42s with the 8x32s optically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
After a bunch of testing and comparing, I prefer 8x42 over 10x42. All my past and currently planned hunting is in tight, densely forested areas. I prefer the 8’s because I can see more clearly with them vs the 10’s when free handing. I would imagine 8x32’s would be even better in broad daylight since they’ll be lighter.

Now, a very common hunting scenario (for me anyway) is a potential shot opportunity at last light. You can see body/vitals clearly enough through your scope or pins to get an ethical shot, but you are relying on your binos to judge legality/maturity of the animal.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but you would definitely be loosing some time at dawn and dusk by switching to 32 objectives given this scenario, correct?

I’m sure the glass makes a difference. My 8x42’s are an older model Ultravid. The only quality glass I’ve compared them too are non-hd Meopta 12x50’s and I thought my leica’s were superior in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
I spotted a bull at 3.2 miles with my 8x32el..

I feel I give up nothing to the 8x42s with the 8x32s optically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wow that's much further then I would have imagined. Was he a giant!?!?

You actually saw headgear at that distance? Or then used the spotter to light him up? I ask because I feel my perfect combo is an 8x32, 15's and the spotter. Right now if I want to stick with high end I can only afford 8x42 and the spotter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AGPank

WKR
I think if the Instinct euro HD’s are $400, that’s tough to beat. I have a pair for my wife. They are way underused, but great. I’ve compared them to my EL 8x32 and there are slight differences, but not 4-5x! For me the biggest preference is ergonomics of the eyecups don’t fit my face right on the Instinct. The ELs are noticeably bigger, though, the Instinct are a very nice compact bino. Check to make sure the ergonomics work for you.

A couple years ago I switched from an 8x42 SLC HD to the 8x32 EL. I did get to compare them before the switch. 95% of the time it’s a toss up optically, as you should expect the 42s take over at first and last light, which often was beyond legal shooting light.

Most of my hunting is bow hunting and the property is thick tree cover and the 8x32 really shines. The size and weight make them a joy to use the rest of the year too.

LostArra

WKR
For me the biggest preference is ergonomics of the eyecups don’t fit my face right on the Instinct. The ELs are noticeably bigger, though, the Instinct are a very nice compact bino. Check to make sure the ergonomics work for you.

Amen brother! The ergonomics isn't discussed enough with optics. It's usually just the economics.
All the best glass and coatings don't mean much if the binocular is finicky about how you hold it on YOUR face especially if you are holding with one hand during a stalk.

dotman

WKR
Yeah I think he’s comparing a lower end to the high, there is usually around $100 diff.