Range finder, Leupold..SIG.... Nikon

Bill

FNG
Need a new range finder and need all of your expert opinions!! mainly used for Bow Hunting and the occasional gun hunt... I do tree stand and mountain hunting so i really need the angle calculations. Suggestion?

Considering the following: Leupold RX-FullDraw3 or 2

Sig KILO 1400 BDX

Nikon Arrow ID 7000

Nikon Prostaff 7i

I have the Sig 1250. I've also used a friend's nicer version. Both were useable for sure but actual performance had them stopping at ranges well below claimed maximum distances in optimal conditions. Frustrating. Their customer service has no solutions. The 1250 maxes out at like 400 yards sometimes on reflexive objects. I'm not a long range guy so it'll work but dang.

I'd probably go with the Vortex Ranger at this point if I was buying again. I hear good things.

I have a Sig....pretty sure it is the 2200, I'll look when I get home. It has worked well for me for a year now. I have used it in pretty much any weather condition you can think of with no problems. I have not tried to get readings anywhere near its maximum distance.

Esse quam videri

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Nikon's 7iVR for the past 2.5 years and it has performed flawlessly. I have used it from sub-zero weather in KS to 100+ deg. heat in TX/OK. The VR, vibration reduction feature is amazing and until you use a rangefinder that has it you don't know what you are missing. The 7iVR has worked for all my hunting needs and I have ranged deer past 700 yards with it. Some great prices on it right now as it is being replaced the the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized which is the newest version, faster ranging times and increased distances.

Russp17

WKR
I just bought a Sig 2000 and used a sig 2200 on a recent sheep hunt. Was getting readings at 1800 plus so I would go Sig. They seem to work well!

CorbLand

WKR
I have the Sig 1250. I've also used a friend's nicer version. Both were useable for sure but actual performance had them stopping at ranges well below claimed maximum distances in optimal conditions. Frustrating. Their customer service has no solutions. The 1250 maxes out at like 400 yards sometimes on reflexive objects. I'm not a long range guy so it'll work but dang.

I'd probably go with the Vortex Ranger at this point if I was buying again. I hear good things.

I do not like my Vortex Ranger1000.

I'm looking at the Sig 2200

The Vortex has a really slow range time. That was my main complaint with it.

J8tnub

FNG

Were you using scan mode? What is “optimal conditions” and what kind of reflective targets?

elkguide

WKR
Sig 2200 by far.
I have a Nikon 7i that does work very well but as soon as it dies...…. Sig for me.

Yep, we both used scan mode. Not a bit of clouds or adverse weather while we were testing them. Both early evening and late morning. Just about every reflexive object out there--signs, posts, roofs, windows. We also hit trees and bushes. We spent a lot of time on at least 3 different Sig rangefinders. I'm confident Sigs are usually significantly below their posted distances.

That said, they are fast and work well otherwise.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Sig Kilo 2000 has ranged buildings at over 2500 yards. I can't remember a single time where it had trouble in the mountains even ranging trees and rocks and such at well over 1000. I have a Leica CRF 900 as well, but wanted the angle comp and have been using the Sig exclusively since getting it a few years ago. It's not as clear as the Leica, but it's been great for bowhunting.

J8tnub

FNG
Yep, we both used scan mode. Not a bit of clouds or adverse weather while we were testing them. Both early evening and late morning. Just about every reflexive object out there--signs, posts, roofs, windows. We also hit trees and bushes. We spent a lot of time on at least 3 different Sig rangefinders. I'm confident Sigs are usually significantly below their posted distances.

That said, they are fast and work well otherwise.

Sunshine will degrade a rangefinders performance. Posts, roofs and windows are hard objects to range due to angles. Most rangefinders will go right through windows. You can always contact SIG and see what they say. Their max ranges are in optimal conditions.

None of the above!

Leica!

Best glass plus tried and true electronics.

I’ve looked through several and while there are some good ones on your list Leica is worth the extra $. For some reason Leupold and Vortex have an odd tint in their rangefinder glass and too much going on with their reticles for me.

I am confident using a Leica rangefinder only at dawn or dusk. This means I can drop my bino harness and stuff the range finder in a pocket and stalk with the range finder only.

If your stuck on the three listed then consider none of these companies actually make their rangefinders and Vortex is the only one that will stand behind a rangefinder for life.

Leupold RX1000, 1200 or 1600TBR with DNA are excellent archery rangefinders. Quick, accurate, small size, etc. I prefer them to my Leica 1000R.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Leupold here. I jumped on the SIG band wagon when they first hit the m market. It wouldn't give two readings the same on a brine tank at 250 yards. Wouldn't read a deer at any range out to 700. I figured I had a Monday morning unit,so I called customer service for their opinion. I was told in short order I was using it wrong. Next trip to Cabelas I exchanged it for a comparable Leupold. Never been happier with a range finder. Apparently they are tailored to folks that don't know how to point them at something and push a button. There will never be another SIG product in my kit. Based solely on the moron that had the balls to say something so stupid to a customer. Screw me once,shame on you. Screw me twice,shame on me.

Brendan

WKR
I bought a used SIG 2200 here - ended up being "well used" and needed a real good cleaning, but it also wasn't ranging the distances it should. Sent it back to SIG for them to clean up and test, they sent me a brand new one. Took about a month, but wait was worth it for me.