The ULTIMATE optics head-to-head, by S&S Archery

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders, I got wind of this last week and just had to get it out to you guys. This is will be exclusive at the Northwest Mountain Challenge, Tamarack, Idaho shoot, June 22-24.

I so wish I could go to this just to do the head-to-head on the optics.

The cool thing about it, is not only do you get to compare glass outside where we actually hunt, people also get vote on the optics--talk about an unbiased review!

Last year over 100 people submitted their votes. S&S posted those results here:

attachment.php

2017 Optics Shootout Results - S&S Archery Backcountry

Some non-surprises there but also some surprises.

So if you can make the Tamarak shoot, you can participate and vote. If you can't make it, watch for the results out later this summer on the S&S blog and I'll also try to link it on Rokslide. I can't imagine a better way to see for yourself how glass stacks up.

Also, the Northwest Mountain Challenge at Tamarack shoot is a great way to fine tune your real-world shooting skills. This is the only shoot Rokslide sponsors, so be sure and let them know you're a member if you show up.

Post up below if you'll be going.

attachment.php

Update: Vortex just pitched in a new pair of Diamondback 10x42s to be given away at this event! One more reason to attend:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I’ll be there. Great shoot and lots of fun.

Any word on what optics they are going to have available. Would like to see how the ATX/STX/BTX stacks up in the line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ll be there. Great shoot and lots of fun.

Any word on what optics they are going to have available. Would like to see how the ATX/STX/BTX stacks up in the line up.

Swarovski will be there, and will likely have all of their spotters.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update: Vortex just pitched in a new pair of Diamondback 10x42s to be given away at this event! One more reason to attend:
attachment.php

attachment.php

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Roksliders!

We had a great turnout at our Optics Demo. Thanks to all who showed up to help judge! We did give away the Vortex Diamondbacks already, and made one judge very happy!

Can't wait to share our results, look for a blog post very soon. Not a huge surprise who came out on top, but one pair of binos really impressed everyone, including me!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Rob. Be sure and link that blog post on here when it comes out.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys for putting this together. It's a great review when you can 50 judges use the exact same setup and give feed back

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
This event was a great opportunity to spend some quality time with gear that I scour the web looking for other opinions. It is very difficult to get behind these optics in a real world environment at all, much less at the same time. Very much appreciate S&S efforts in this endeavor.

Nice write up on the results. Couple thoughts from me, a self proclaimed layman optics reviewer.

EL vs SLC
The resolution and how it held all the way to the edges from the EL’s was significant IMO. Color transmission was more neutral as well. There was a slight blue tint on the very edge of the SLC’s.

In a world of diminishing returns on performance (the $830 price increase on the EL’s represents a 50% increase on base price of the SLC’s) the choice can be tough. For me, going Swaro top-tier would mean paying the extra cost for advantages I observed.

Vortex Razor vs Vortex Viper
Not surprised Viper performance, but very surprised with the Razor’s lack of. In almost all categories the Viper was identical IMO. The only major difference is that the Viper did not carry as much resolution to the edges. The color transmission on both carried a bluish tint with the Vipers having more so on the edge.

The cost difference between the two ($550) is surprising. That increase represents 122% the base cost if the Vipers. Hands down, without a doubt, I go with Vipers over Razor. Only having a slight advantage on the Vipers is worrisome for Vortex’s mid-tier line.

Having recently spent some time looking through Meopta Meostar and Nikkon Monarch HG’s the mid-tier optic for Vortex is far behind the competition.

The low-tier market of the Vipers has some good competition as well.

Some other thoughts:

Kowa Spotter
Optically this lived up to a lot of the reviews I have read. Was dissatisfied with the build quality, specifically the focus adjustments.

Swaro BTX
I was blown away....Fairly certain I would have seen the grass move from an Elk fart at 2 miles. The duel eyes could keep me glassing all day, every day.

Outdoorsman Panhead
Always discounted the “need” to pay up for this. Always said I would rather put that money into moving up into another tier of optics....Well, after using it my opinion has slightly changed opinion. Now I just have to continue saving after a spend the money on the glass.