Maven C1 8X42 on a tripod?

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some C1s in 8x42 before IL deer season this fall. Really like them. Debated between 8 and 10 and went with 8 because I’m almost always in a tree. I drew an elk tag very unexpectedly for AZ unit 8 late season rifle and wish I would have bought 10s now.

I’m wondering if I should get a tripod for these, sell these and get 10s and a tripod, or keep the 8s and get 12s and a tripod. Any budget friendly tripod recommendations would also be appreciated.

I’d be getting either Maven C1s or Vortex Razors. My old man and I will be going guided 2 on 1 if that matters. The hunt is expensive, and as I said wasn’t thinking we’d draw yet so the Mavens or Vortex will be all the budget can handle.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Mavens. I have the spotter and the 11x45 B2's.

If you're going to run a tripod, why not get the 12's?

How light of a tripod are you looking for?

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Never had 12s, so not sure if the results of finding animals is that great over 8s on a tripod or not? I feel like I can tell if a deer or Elk is big from pretty far. So, does the extra magnification justify a new purchase or just nice to have?

As for tripod weight, reasonable light but doesn’t need to be crazy. I was thinking vortex summit maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use what you have...you are going guided and he should have some Swaros to glass with, and your C1 8X will glass game, especially on a tripod a dang long ways. Some people prefer 8X over 10X....(I don't) but I wouldn't buy a pair of 10X (or 12X) without jumping up to top of the line....at least Maven 9X or 11X45 or Swaro, etc, given you have decent 8X binos now. Good luck on your elk hunt!

I’ve never been in unit 8 but I typically associate late az elk hunts with glassing big nasty canyons. At the very least put your 8s on a tripod. Sometimes those mature bulls get holed up and can be impossible to pick up if you’re free handing. You could grab some used razor or meopta 12s then just sell them after the hunt with little or no loss to you that’s probably your best route. Congrats on the tag those late hunts are a lot of work but fun.