Tough choice what do you think?

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
So I got a couple awesom deals on spotters I picked up a straight bodied 86mm Cabelas Krotos 9/10 value, an angled athlon ares 65mm 7/10 value, and a 85mm vortex viper angled 8/10 value.

I’ll be using the spotter mostly on the range. But it will be taken into the backcountry backpacking.

I really don’t need 2 and definitely not 3 spotters. I really want to love the ares, it’s angled, it’s small, it checks all the boxes, and the warranty. But the krotos is just nicer to look through greens are greener, it’s brighter, the resolution is better. Now I know it’s kind of apples to oranges to compare 65 vs 86 and the 86 is supposed to be better at the things I mentioned. And while the ares is not bad by any stretch it just seems washed out relative to krotos. I’m also the type of person to want as much magnification as I can no matter what I’m looking at but I’m hesitant to pack the 86 in to the back country, the ares warranty makes me feel better since accidents happen, and the straight body scope really bugs me.

Am I asking too much of my ares? I wish I could find a Kowa 553 locally to look through as I feel that would be exactly what I want and I’d sell both (all three if the vortex shows) for that. I’m flip flopping on the hour from keeping both, selling krotos, selling the ares, keeping both and finding an angled krotos to trade for. At least I’m set that once the vortex shows I’m getting rid of one because 2 is my max! Lol

Thoughts?

The Krotos is out for me, even though it may be a little better than the others, because of its terrible warranty. I wouldn't bring it in the backcountry because it's easy to have it get bumped and damaged and it would likely not be covered by warranty.

As far as the Viper or the Ares, they are in the same class and should be relatively close in optical quality. I have a 65mm 2017 version Viper and I like it pretty well. I've heard a few people say the Ares had a better image. The Ares is definitely more packable. Athlon is a newer company so you might consider that.

Most guys don't go lugging an 80+mm in the field. The 65mm is a clear winner for me because I'm happy to bring it and it can do all I need it to. Yes, there's more light and detail with a bigger spotter but it doesn't justify the weight penalty to me. I can spot elk at 3-4 miles regularly with a 65mm. Some guys who are very trophy-minded or need to judge if a ram is legal go for the 85mm. If you have the funds, you could get two. Maybe you really need an 85mm for the range or something. Otherwise, I would pick your favorite 65mm and go for it. Now, if you have the funds to buy two, I would consider upping your budget and going for a more premium optic in the 65mm. Can't go wrong with a used Swaro and you could also look at the Kowa and Maven spotter in the 1000-2000 price range.

Last edited:

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
. Now, if you have the funds to buy two, I would consider upping your budget and going for a more premium optic in the 65mm. Can't go wrong with a used Swaro and you could also look at the Kowa and Maven spotter in the 1000-2000 price range.

I'd hedge this way. I'm not sure what you spent on the three of them, but I imagine it would be enough to get you close to the cost of the Kowa 553 you wanted, or into the used market of others, that will undoubtedly have better glass than the three you've got.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the feed back guys I'm leaning towards the ares. The good an bad of the deals I got is obviously great deals but it puts me still pretty far jump to get up into premium glass even with three. I know first world problems. We'll see if I can find some top glass to look through and maybe make my decision easier.

dotman

WKR
I would cancel the Vortex if it hasn’t shipped and sell the cabelas or return it, run the ares this year and then make a decision to save up or not.

Last edited: