How good are 11 year old Swaro SLCs?

How would these compare to the SLC’s of today? Are they as good? What would be a good price for 10 x 42?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pair of 7x42 SLC's with the black rubber exterior that I sent back to Swarovski for new lenses and repairs, they returned back like new. I would say they are comparable to the new SLC's if they were sent back for the new lenses upgrade.

AGPank

WKR
They can only upgrade to SLC Neu if done, not HD lenses. I had the SLC Neu for awhile. There is a good write up on Roklslide from Matt Cashell. I think he rated them just under the Meostar.

For me the right price for an SLC Neu is $900 or so. Older models $600-800? I had a pair of SLC 7x30 that we’re rebuilt by Swarovski (from 91 model to a new 2013 SN). They were very good and I regret selling somewhat because it’s tough to find that quality at that price.

You start to hit $800+ and you can find new or newer used glass that outperforms the older Swarovski. (Leica Trinovid, Meostar, Zeiss Conquest HD).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nastynick

FNG
I just sent in a pair of 7x30 SLCs for clean & check and they said that the prisms were damaged (when I sent them, the image seemed fine). They are asking for $500 for a full upgrade. Do you feel that this is a reasonable price and appropriate based on your experience?
Mine are from 1990 (so pretty old). I was planning on saving for some high-power 15x binos and didn't anticipate having to pay for this on my 7x30s... just looking for experience and if it was worth it... I know most people would be happy to get effectively new Swaros for $500, but just wasn't something I was planning for and I was surprised to hear that something was wrong like that.

Trial153

WKR
I wouldnt put 500 into 27 year old glass. Just me. Pay for the cleaning and have them send them back. If they seem fine use them, if not put the 500 towards a new slc

Beendare

WKR
^ thats weird $500, I had a pair of 10x SLCs that were appx 24 yrs old I sent in because the focus was stiff and they said for $175 [their max] they would go through the whole bino. They ended up sending me a brand new model with new serial number. Not bad for a bino I paid $600 for new.

Side by side my old SLC's weren't quite the clarity of the Leica geovids I had...thats the only good comparison I have.

nastynick

FNG
Through all the digging I’ve done on this I haven’t heard of anyone else paying more than $175. Not sure what’s different, here is the response.

hank you for giving us the opportunity to repair your binoculars. They have been received and evaluated and the following warranty work will be performed, free of charge. The exterior (focusing knobs, housing, and lenses for example) will be re-greased and cleaned to the best of our ability. All necessary repairs which includes the focusing system and prisms cost $500.

In order to make the necessary repairs, your binoculars will receive many other upgrades. For example, your model is not waterproof – something many people did not know in spite of it clearly being marked as such in our product manuals and catalogs. One of our Austrian trained technicians will build you a new pair of SLC Mark IV’s that will now be waterproof; contain SWAROBRIGHT prisms; each barrel will be housed in a one piece armoring for improved ergonomics and size; have a locking diopter for more consistent focus setting; and more than 40 other brand new parts. Included in the new parts are brand new external lens (with the latest SWAROCLEAN lens coating) and covers, something not normally covered under warranty. They will go through a total of 8 quality control tests along the way. It is considered a rebuild because a handful of internal parts from your binocular are recycled but you can confidently consider them brand new binoculars. For your reference, the last real world retail price of the Mark IV was $1,200.

I don’t know if anyone would buy them for $500 in the classifieds so to me it doesn’t seem worth it with the other glass I would want to get.