Keep the Leica 62mm APO spotter or......

jm1607

WKR
I have the discontinued model 62mm APO spotter with zoom eyepiece.. Very rare/hard to find nowadays.. Works well.. I have an itch to get a bigger/clearer spotter though and can't afford most of the high-end brands..

Considering (kind of lol, I'm on the fence) selling it to fund an 85mm Razor..

What do you guys think? Will I pickup considerable distance/light gathering/clarity?

The weight difference is minimal IMO and the price difference is basically a wash..

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I would never ever trade in any top end Leica product (or Swarovski or Zeiss) for any Vortex product. You will regret that one.

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
Like Steve O said, don't do it. I had a Leica 62 until it broke and I still miss it! I'm a fan of vortex and have a razor 50 for packing but optically it's not Leica. For my big glass I now have a Kowa 88 and its incredible but heavy. For a 62mm your spotter is really pretty light weight. I'd still have mine if I hadn't dropped it, it was heart breaking.

dotman

WKR
That’s just crazy to go down to a Razor from the Leica! Don’t do it!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Keep saving your money and upgrade when you have the funds to the alpha glass of your choosing.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Dang you guys, I was hoping someone would tell me to do it ;)

I know the Leica glass is definitely superior, but I was thinking the 23mm bigger lens and more zoom for only like 10oz more would be worth it.. They're on sale right now too for super cheap on Midway..

Although I have never looked through a Razor scope I have quite a few Vortex products (mainly riflescopes) and I do like/love them..

The other idea I had was switching back to a 77mm APO body, but they are tough as hell to find.. I could use my current eye piece..

Basically I just want a better scope and no longer care about weight, but don't have $2.5k to drop..

dotman

WKR
Call Doug at cameralandny and see what it would cost to get you into a Kowa 77 or 88, don’t go down in quality.

snakelk

WKR
"Basically I just want a better scope and no longer care about weight, but don't have $2.5k to drop.."

Buy a Meopta Meostar S2/Cabelas Euro Instinct and be done. You can find these on here for $1250-$1600 and you're getting a top-notch spotter that trounces an 85 mm Razor for well under $2.5k, yet rivals Kowa and Swaro. There have been a couple in the classifieds recently.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, you will notice a significant difference between your 62mm when compared to the Razor 85mm. As you get close to a mile+ you will see the 85 pull away dramatically in your viewing. Low light conditions will be enhanced greatly as well by the 85.

ElkNut/Paul

I know the Leica glass is definitely superior, but I was thinking the 23mm bigger lens and more zoom for only like 10oz more would be worth it..

You might recheck the math there. The Leica 62 APO is one of the lightest spotting scopes made and the Razor falls on the heavy side. Far more that 10 oz difference between the two. My 62 comes in at around 48 oz with the cover on. The Razor 85 is what.... 66oz?

I have actually contemplated a similar move myself. The old Leica is good, but it's not great. Glass is decent, but the barrel is plastic rather than metal, and the focus is only fair compared to the newer stuff. And if the Leica ever breaks, it basically is un-repairable. Plus there is no doubt that a good 85 would do better in poor light conditions.

Eventually I elected not to do it. The light weight and small size have distinct benefits for me that out weigh perks I would get from larger glass at this point.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I too have the 62mm Leica. My scope w/o cover is 36 ounces. I've considered a similar move and ultimately opted to stick with my little guy and save for a bigger one to have both at my disposal. Having never owned a spotter until last year and now with a year under my belt, I use the crap out of it. A bigger objective is definitely something I need but I also need the ability to choose between going in heavy like when I've got my bike or am hunting/camping with a vehicle nearby, when hiking in with camp on my back and every ounce counts the Leica 62 does a great job.

And, respectfully @ Elknut1, I disagree that the vortex 85 does better than the 62 leica at any distance, particularly for the weight penalty involved. I was able to enjoy first hand experience with the two side x side for 12 days last September on a sheep/moose hunt. Even at 10+ years old my leica was better suited to the task at hand than my buddies brand new vortex - left him scratching his head several times... Little things too: easier in & out of the pack, did a lot better in overcast low ceiling type lighting, not top heavy on lighter tripod etc.

Now, if vortex were out and a big leica or swaro were on the menu I'd have slightly different thoughts - but would still do what I'm doing and saving pennies and scouring the internet for a great opportunity on a big spotter so I can glass lions in Africa.

ElkNut1

WKR
Burnt, no problem bud. I have not compared the Razor 85 to the 62 APO but have compared it side by side to the Razor & Swaro 65 HD. The 85 takes a one second glance to see it's definitely better in all aspects to the smaller objective lens units. The Razor 65 & Swaro 65 were neck & neck in performance, there was so little difference it wasn't worth splitting hairs over. I assume the older APO is no better than the newer swaro 65's hence my thoughts on the 85 being an upgrade to the thread poster. You didn't mention if your friend was using the Vortex Razor or other model?

On a sidenote it should be mentioned that when comparing Spotters side by side both units need to be used exactly the same for accurate readings. This means both spotters need to be on the same magnification throughout. It also means both eyecups/eyepieces need to be set the same at all magnification comparisons. For best viewing & light gathering both should be screwed all the way in & not out or half way out. Anytime you unscrew the eyepiece you will lose clarity, brightness & field of view, the same applies as you increase magnification, much is lost as you get to full magnification on any spotter. So it's important when comparing both are set or moved the same.

ElkNut/Paul

Broomd

WKR
Keep the Leica. There still isn't better glass out there pound for pound. Only the ATM 65 HD Swaro with 25-50wa would rate higher imho...

That APO 62mm is heirloom glass you could feel proud to pass down to your kid *if applicable. :)

Another thought is to look for the Big brother Televid 77APO used. Find a “body only” and use your existing zoom eyepiece. On your 62 mm your zoom range is 16-48x. When same eyepiece is attached to the 77 it is 20-60X. For less than $1000 you would essentially have two great scopes......