Swarovski 10 x 42’s....... SLC or EL’s?

As title says.....
Which model for hunting out west in Antelope/mule deer country. Also to be used back east in the whitetail woods.

Opinions?

As title says.....
Which model for hunting out west in Antelope/mule deer country. Also to be used back east in the whitetail woods.

Opinions?

I prefer the EL’s in 10’s and SLC’s in 15’s for the long range glassing. Edge to edge clarity and light pick up in 10’s the EL’s are the winner (for my eyes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
As title says.....

Opinions?

Most people will tell you glass is like boots or a backpack. Each person is different and you’ll have to try them out to pick what’s best for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I have the SLCs. The ELs were superior in my eye in terms of optics. However I preferred the ergonomics of the SLC more and for me the ELs were not worth the extra cash. Definitely comes down to what your eye prefers in this price range.

MattB

WKR
There are benefits to each as stated above. Another benefit for the SLC's is they are set up better for accepting a stud for tripod mounting. You can have a stud pressed into the EL's but it is relatively forward on the binocs so they do not scan up/down well.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the SLC's. I have owned both as well as Zeiss Victory HT's, FL's and Swaro EL's. All in 10x42. I still own and use the SLC.

The Swarovisions have a better focus mechanism and will show you more on a tripod because of the image being sharp to the edges. These two traits are the only factors that set it above the SLC.

The SLC is brighter, has better depth of field (less focusing needed) and its less touchy on the focus. The SLC is also provides a more natural view when panning as it does not have field flattening lenses. Also a more 3D view to the image because of the same reason.. It is also physically smaller and lighter.

SWOHTR

WKR
There are benefits to each as stated above. Another benefit for the SLC's is they are set up better for accepting a stud for tripod mounting. You can have a stud pressed into the EL's but it is relatively forward on the binocs so they do not scan up/down well.

And here I thought I was the only one who noticed this issue with the pressed in stud on the ELs - glad to see others have observed the same.

I just got some SLC 10x42s and like them so far BUT I haven't been able to put them through their paces yet. After spending last season behind cheap Bushnell 8x42s on a tripod, my eyes hurt. I was able to upgrade this year. Just registered them actually, and now am trying to figure out how to get an ATX.

If you buy from 1 Shot Gear, you can get 10% off and free shipping, which is what we did. Way to go IMO, if you don't end up buying used.

I prefer the SLCs. Haven't owned the ELs but have used them and owned other binos with field flatteners. I see the rolling ball effect and it annoyed me. Plus the SLC ergos and stud and price all made it better in my opinion. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
B
I looked thru both at Cabela’s the other day. I couldn’t tell that big if a difference in the store between the two. I actually like the weight and body size of the SLC’s. For the price difference I will be buying the SLC’s.

2backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
SLCs for me, 10s and the 15s get the job done !! Before I purchased SLCs I did a lot of comparing with the ELs and could not tell any difference with my eyes.

The Swarovisions have a better focus mechanism and will show you more on a tripod because of the image being sharp to the edges. These two traits are the only factors that set it above the SLC.

The SLC is brighter, has better depth of field (less focusing needed) and its less touchy on the focus. The SLC is also provides a more natural view when panning as it does not have field flattening lenses. Also a more 3D view to the image because of the same reason.. It is also physically smaller and lighter.

Pretty spot on comparison. But the real advantage to the EL's is that they come in 12x. :cool:

PredatorX

WKR
The SLC'S should show a bit more contrast. I noticed the same when comparing 10x42 els to 8x42 SLC. The els showed a more natural, realistic view. The SLC'S appear to me to be more cartoonish. It may sound like the cartoonish view is a negative, but it wasn't for me. I think I also heard someone describe the view as sort of a fake happiness. The view makes me very happy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The SLC'S should show a bit more contrast. I noticed the same when comparing 10x42 els to 8x42 SLC. The els showed a more natural, realistic view. The SLC'S appear to me to be more cartoonish. It may sound like the cartoonish view is a negative, but it wasn't for me. I think I also heard someone describe the view as sort of a fake happiness. The view makes me very happy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Lol I like that description... I have said other places... Looking through SLCs feels better then my own eyes... And reading your description, to me it's like when you change picture mode on your TV to vivid as opposed to cinema for example.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As title says.....

Opinions?

I prefer the Swarovski El 10x42. In the woods for whitetail that's what I use. The SLC's are great especially for the price they are selling for. There isn't much difference between the two with the naked eye in my personal opinion. On paper there is with the EL's having more light transfer than the SLC's. Like everyone has said in this thread everyone has different eyes so the SLC's could have more light transfer than the EL's. If you can look through both of them and see what you think. Maybe even look through Leica and Zeiss to compare.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Having both the EL's and the SLC's in 10X42, they are both awesome glass. I hunt out West most every fall and spend a lot of time in the woods of the East and I find with good glass, 10 power is the power for me. If I were to choose between the two, I would probably go with the SLC's because of the way they fit in my hands. To my eyes, the EL's are a little bit clearer but that is to my eyes. My son is sold on the clarity of the SLC's. Really should look through and hold both of them, side by side, if you can. Truly a "WIN _ WIN" situation.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Technically SLC's are brighter as they have less lens surfaces overall in their design (no field flattening lenses in the eyepiece). However the extra brightness is very small. More important to me is the lack of "rolling ball/globe effect when panning with the SLC's and their better depth of field.

Pretty spot on comparison. But the real advantage to the EL's is that they come in 12x. :cool:

Yup. I would have looked at SLCs if they made them in a 12x50. However, it's hard to imagine a better binocular on a tripod than the ELs. the view is pretty much perfect even at the edges. Luckily I don't see the rolling ball effect. Can't go wrong with either if you're sticking with 10x.