Tripods and heads...... Outdoorsman?

I am in the market for a tripod and panning head for an upcoming mule deer hunt. I will run a 85mm spotter and a pair of 15 power binos. I have looked at the Outdoorman system and they look really nice!! But they are really expensive!! Do you have to buy direct from Outdoorsman or do they have retailers that may have better deals?

Also.... I am still educating myself on the tripods and heads. Who has products that rival the Outdoorsman products?

I'm pretty sure that the only place to get Outdoorsman's products is from them, I don't believe that they have any retailers, but lots of options. Most decent photography tripods and heads are also going to work for your optics. You can go to a site like B&H Photo and looks at hundreds of different tripods and heads, from $50 to $1000.
I am currently using a Sirui T-025X tripod and Gitzo GH1720FQR head (LOVE!), both of which are intended for photography use.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a big Outdoorsmans fan for the sake of their durable construction and the ability to create a whole system with them. It freaking SUCKS always having to swap tripod plates around or find tripod plates for so many things. You can complete the head system I use without using their tripod legs, so keep that in mind. I'll try and explain it quick then I'll attach a video I did that hopefully makes sense of what I type.

I have a set of outdoorsmans legs but also a set of Slik 634 legs. I put an outdoorsmans quick release adapter on each tripod which lets me 1. swap between the pan head and pistol grip head quickly and 2. lets me quickly take a head off of tripod legs and put it on my window mount. The window mount is also outdoorsmans and is freaking legit. Then I have the outdoorsmans tripod binocular adapter that lets you put your binoculars on it quickly. I do know that they are expensive, but I recommend that pan head to anyone on any set of legs. That head is awesome.

[video=youtube;7tObjCkuxm4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tObjCkuxm4[/video]

x2 on the Slik CF legs and Outdoorsmans Head. I'm running the micro pan on 10s and a small spotter with no issue. The standard pan head is probably better for the larger optics.

OP
B
In mY short research it seems the Outdoorsman heads are the “Cadillac” of the panning head systems. Am I assuming correctly?

Any other conpanies on par with Outdoorsman?

Napperm4

WKR
In mY short research it seems the Outdoorsman heads are the “Cadillac” of the panning head systems. Am I assuming correctly?

Any other conpanies on par with Outdoorsman?

There are other options out there sure. I’ve tried a few of the other popular ones. The discontinued vanguard ph111v, Benro S2, and a few more expensive models from Gitzo and Manfrotto.

For what it’s worth I bit the bullet and bought the outdoorsmans panhead, adapters and bino adapter. It’s wayyy more expensive for me as I am in Canada so exchange, shipping and taxes put me at about $1000.

The benro S2 is a decent head, as is the vanguard. They however are not on par with the outdoorsmans

The Gitzo and Manfrotto heads are a step up from the others but we’re bulkier, heavier and not as robust feeling as the outdoorsmans.

As the saying goes - Pick 2. 1. Lightweight 2. Durable 3. Cheap

To get all 3 of that list you need a pretty healthy budget.

Also fwiw the outdoorsmans holds its resale down the road much higher than anything else in the used market and they tend to sell very quickly.

In my own experience and many others. The tripod / head is not the place to skimp on investment. Many of us are running 2-3k optics and if you don’t have a super steady base for them you’re doing a disservice to your optics and reducing their performance to that of a $500 optic or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaaf

WKR
There are better fluid heads out there for glassing but nothing can compare to the durability/weight/versatility of their panhead.

boom

WKR
i'm not running a big 85 spotter.

my Vanguard panhead is pretty fantastic for my use. i can push my glass around with my face.

OP
B
Well.... I dropped 500 plus today at Outdoorsman. Got Panhead, window mount, bino adapters and studs. I have no experience with any of their products or anybody else’s for that matter regarding tripods and heads. Im mainly a eastern Whitetail Hunter with one trip out west every year. Just going off research and recommendations off this forum. I will just be running 15x56 and 10x42’s( probably Swarv SLC’s) on top for now. Now I have to decide on a tripod. Looking at Ooutdoorsman compact medium(pricey), Slik 634 or the Promaster SandS Archery sells.

But once, cry once! I hope they are everything they seem to be.

Elkangle

WKR
Check out induro tripods as well...they have a model in every weight range..I have the CLT 303 for a heavy weight tripod and its awesome....the 203 or 103 may be better for packing

What did you like about the Promaster over the Slik 634?

I preferred the leg angle adjustment mechanism on the Promaster vs the Slik. It seemed like a weak point on the Slik, and I saw that some people had that break in the field.

If you're considering the two you should first decide whether you'd like to be able to use the tripod in the standing position. The Slik is taller. The Promaster is slightly too short for some people to use standing. Two considerations there: how tall are you, and do you have a straight or angled spotter? If you're 5'10"+ the Promaster may be too short to use standing with a straight spotter or binos. If you only plan on using an angled spotter then it shouldn't matter, you'll bend down to look through it anyway.

As an aside, if you decide to go with the Promaster then contact CameralandNY. They're a Rokslide sponsor and they'll get you a much better deal than anywhere else. I believe they'll even sell you one without the head to keep it cheaper for you since you already have one. Just mention you're from Rokslide and they'll cut you a nice deal.

OP
B
Does the Slik 634 have the hook on the center post to hang a weight? How important is that feature?
I do believe I want my tripod to go from very low to a standing height. I’m 6’1”

wildcat33

WKR
Does the Slik 634 have the hook on the center post to hang a weight? How important is that feature?
I do believe I want my tripod to go from very low to a standing height. I’m 6’1”

At 6'1 i think the promaster would be too short for you.