Yes..another spotter or 15s question.

geriggs

WKR
Sorry I know there are a lot of these posts out there but Im just trying to get some advice on a specific scenario. If you only glass 2 miles or less (Most of the time no more than a mile) for 90% of what you do. Would you go with 15s or spotter? Thanks

Outdoorsmans

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I would reccomend the 15's or a set of 12's hands down over a spotter in those shorter distance ranges.

Thank you!

I'd say it depends how long you plan at looking at these distances. If my face is planted in a scope scanning 1-2 miles away, it's not going to be for very long. Just too uncomfortable for me. The 15s will give you animals but will not give you the detail a spotter will. 90% of the time it goes like this for me, 10s ,15s , spotter is in the pack for scouting. For hunting generally 10s and spotter do what I need. Of course landscape and terrain dictates this, but that is my 90%.

Variable power is very attractive to me also. It proves to be useful at a few hundred yards to miles away.

I'm the guy who is pro-spotter for the longer ranges. I created a recent thread on this that you probably read. At two miles or less, binos are the ticket. They are easier to look through than a spotter.

I'm not sure that you need 15xs. If you're hunting elk, I'd potentially go for a 10x42 or maybe 12s. Use a tripod and you should be able to spot elk all day long. Elk are pretty easy to spot and unless you're counting points those binos will be plenty.

I do think there's a lot of value in looking at 2-4 miles but that may not be possible in the area you're wanting to hunt.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Some clarification

Should have clarified before but im running 10x42 ELs on a tripod. Its mostly elk hunting with occasional deer/pronghorn hunts.

I'm the guy who is pro-spotter for the longer ranges. I created a recent thread on this that you probably read. At two miles or less, binos are the ticket. They are easier to look through than a spotter.

I'm not sure that you need 15xs. If you're hunting elk, I'd potentially go for a 10x42 or maybe 12s. Use a tripod and you should be able to spot elk all day long. Elk are pretty easy to spot and unless you're counting points those binos will be plenty.

I do think there's a lot of value in looking at 2-4 miles but that may not be possible in the area you're wanting to hunt.

dotman

WKR
If you already have 10’s I would just use them and get a 55mm spotter if you need to get a closer look.

WRO

WKR
What type of hunting are you doing? Is trophy size important? What species are you hunting mostly?
If your just hunting elk based on frame size or bears, then 12s or 15s are fine, if you're chasing sheep, Coues, or mule deer then no..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Trophy size for elk is not important. being able to tell if he is legal or not is important. Thanks everyone

WKR
Trophy size for elk is not important. being able to tell if he is legal or not is important. Thanks everyone

If you are counting points, then spotter.

15's are best when looking FOR things, Spotter is best when looking AT things.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Ended up with a gen 1 razor spotter. I think it will work great, couldn’t pass on the deal.. Thanks for the input

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
I went middle of the road and got the 65 angled gen 1 with the WA eyepiece for 725 on eBay. I couldn’t pass it up. It was new not used. I got an antelope hunt this year and a mule deer hunt next year (burning lots of preference points). So it will work great for those too.

I went middle of the road and got the 65 angled gen 1 with the WA eyepiece for 725 on eBay. I couldn’t pass it up. It was new not used. I got an antelope hunt this year and a mule deer hunt next year (burning lots of preference points). So it will work great for those too.

Nice! Good deal! It should serve you well. Best of luck.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry I know there are a lot of these posts out there but Im just trying to get some advice on a specific scenario. If you only glass 2 miles or less (Most of the time no more than a mile) for 90% of what you do. Would you go with 15s or spotter? Thanks

It depends on where you're hunting like the type of country. Are you willing to pack a spotter? For me I usually run my 10's with an 85mm spotter just for the fact of being able to count tins or curls. If you're a sheep hunter I strongly suggest going with the Swarovski 95mm with a BTX attachment. Nothing will even come close to that set up. basically what it comes down to is are you willing to pack binos and a spotter or a pair of 15's, but not have the range like a spotter would.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hahahaha, never to many "spotter" threads.

although I use my 15x (and now 18x Kaibab) less than my spotter, for your distances, I'd go 15x. They're a joy compared to a spotter. As long as you don't need to count cheaters or horn rings, I think you'd be happy. Until next year then you'll want both!! hahaha

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Thanks for all the help. I think i will get all 3...problem solved. I run with all three for scouting and see what works best for me. If ones doesnt get used much you will see it in the classifieds

That is a great idea, as each piece is its own tool and serves a different purpose. I trimmed down to 12x50 with a spotter but I loved glassing with 15s. But even with 15s a spotter is needed if you want to assess size.