Decent but budget minded angle compensating rangfinder

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any opinions/experiences with a reliable and durable angle compensating rangfinders that will work for both bow and rifle out to 6-800 yards or so? Say in the 200$ range? does that exist? I found one from nikkon for about 250 or so that had mixed reviews. Any advice is apprciated

dotman

WKR
I have a Sig 850 as a backup rf and it works really well and is below your budget especially when on sale.

ElkNut had a Sig 2200 that ranged far below the stated distances by Sig. He tried it and sent it to me and I had the same experience. I have one of the cheaper Sig models, not the very cheapest, that I bought for around $200 and the dang thing can barely range consistently out to 500 yards. The sig rangefinders are fast and nice looking but they can have issues ranging at expected distances.

J8tnub

FNG
Are you using scan mode? Holding the scan button down. The Sig max ranges are all using hyperscan mode.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
While it is usually found for $250 - $300 now, I have had absolutely zero complaints about the Vortex Ranger 1000. It has been reliable, easy to use and adjust. Battery life is good and I've used it reliably both tree stand hunting in cold Wisconsin weather and out to the full 1000 yards in the heat in Arizona. Now that Vortex has introduced the 1500 you might score a less expensive one somewhere.

Yep, we both used scan mode. ElkNut called Sig and followed all their instructions. We confirmed that we were using the model the same way.

While it is usually found for $250 - $300 now, I have had absolutely zero complaints about the Vortex Ranger 1000. It has been reliable, easy to use and adjust. Battery life is good and I've used it reliably both tree stand hunting in cold Wisconsin weather and out to the full 1000 yards in the heat in Arizona. Now that Vortex has introduced the 1500 you might score a less expensive one somewhere.
I also have this unit. Has performed well bow hunting in Mississippi to Elk hunting in Utah. Ranged Elk to 800+ yards. Purchased last fall and used all season on the same batteries. Still going.

OP
W

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for the options and reviews. Having a hard time finding the vortex 1000s for less than 300. Taking a good look at the Sig 850 as it defiantly fits the bill, has anyone else heard of issues with them? Idahohiker was Sig willing to work with you or replace the unit?

Graves14

WKR
I just bought a Sig 850 as well. I’ve only used it for the total archery challenge in SD, ranging targets out to 120yards and the angle compensation was dead on. I’ve also been playing with it ranging all sorts of rocks and bushes out to 700 with repeatable results. I like it.

Macintosh

WKR
I bought a Sigg 1200 recently which I believe they may not be making any more as I had a hard time finding it. I got it for under $200, this is the same as an 850 I believe but has a little bit longer range. I have used a friends Leica, some of the higher end Sig rangefinders like a 2400, and even a military vector. All of the above are significantly nicer than mine, the weather plays a significant role in how far I can range but usually I can get out to 600 or even a touch more, I would say consistently to 500 in weather where I can hardly see that far. I would have gotten one of the Sig 2000s, maybe it’s called the 2200?, but they stopped making it I think and I could not find one for the deals people were talking a out getting them. I knew this would be a lower range unit and overall I’m happy with it and it performs consistently at the level I expected from reviews here and elsewhere , but if I did it again and could swing the extra couple hundred bucks I would buy up to a higher end model that has illuminated numerals for better visibility in low light, and a little bit longer range.