Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 Review, By Matt Cashell

Too bad Nikon camera is anti hunting, won’t give them a dime. They could make a bino equal to the Swaro EL SV and I’d still buy the Swaro to support a company that is pro hunting. Now if your ok with supporting an anti hunting company sounds like a good option. Just ask Doug from cameralandny if he can sell Nikon rifle scopes and cameras, nope he can’t. Nikons camera division is the main driver of that company.

If I’m wrong please correct me.
Guess I’m not following how Nikon sport optic is anti hunting...

Nikons camera division should be the driver as it’s a camera company.

I can’t name a single other camera company that also makes optics that go on top of rifles except Leica.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Guess I’m not following how Nikon sport optic is anti hunting...

Nikons camera division should be the driver as it’s a camera company.

I can’t name a single other camera company that also makes optics that go on top of rifles.

Per Doug from cameralandny

“Next up was Nikon. As reported in years past (We, as a Camera dealer, have been authorized Nikon dealers since we opened in 1957. As a camera dealer Nikon will not allow us to carry any item considered a "hunting/shooting" item. This means we cannot carry their riflescopes or non-golf rangefinders. Nikon camera division, which I understand to be 90% of the company, is not pro hunting and will not allow their cameras sold along side their hunting products which means we cannot carry them. Makes no sense to me but they did not ask my opinion.)
They have a new Prostaff 3 Roof Prism binocular available in 8x42 and 10x42 for just over $100.00 that I think will become a very popular optic.”

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/39424-cameraland-shot-dougs-report.html

Considering his company has dealt with Nikon since 1957 and that I take Doug for a straight shooter, I don’t think he is jacking with us.

Per Doug from cameralandny

“Next up was Nikon. As reported in years past (We, as a Camera dealer, have been authorized Nikon dealers since we opened in 1957. As a camera dealer Nikon will not allow us to carry any item considered a "hunting/shooting" item. This means we cannot carry their riflescopes or non-golf rangefinders. Nikon camera division, which I understand to be 90% of the company, is not pro hunting and will not allow their cameras sold along side their hunting products which means we cannot carry them. Makes no sense to me but they did not ask my opinion.)
They have a new Prostaff 3 Roof Prism binocular available in 8x42 and 10x42 for just over $100.00 that I think will become a very popular optic.”

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/39424-cameraland-shot-dougs-report.html

I’m not going to bog this thread down, but that doesn’t meet the definition of anti-hunting to me.

dotman

WKR
I’m not going to bog this thread down, but that doesn’t meet the definition of anti-hunting to me.

And that’s ok, just my view of the company. Imo, there are plenty that aren’t afraid to be associated with hunting that i’ll support. Did you notice cameralandny sells both leica cameras and hunting optics, why can’t he sell Nikon sporting optics and cameras?

And that’s ok, just my view of the company. Imo, there are plenty that aren’t afraid to be associated with hunting that i’ll support. Did you notice cameralandny sells both leica cameras and hunting optics, why can’t he sell Nikon sporting optics and cameras?

Because 90%+ of nikons revenue is cameras, probably even more, and it would make zero sense in the competitive market of dslr to even open the door to people having their decision swayed on purchasing their camera because of a rifle scope. I bet most Nikon buyers/owners don’t even know they make scopes. Business wise it makes perfect sense as their market isn’t hunters.

I assume Leica doesn’t care, as their cameras are disproportionately priced compared to everything on the planet, and they are not concerned about market share. I can assure you when you walk into the San Francisco Leica store there isn’t a riflescope to be found.

On a side note Sony makes most of nikons sensors, are they anti-hunting as well?

All I am trying to say is Nikon actually makes things for sportsmen, but is punished by you because the main division doesn’t want to invite the scrutiny hunting can bring, and yet there are a dozen other camera and optic companies who are not viewed in a negative manner that have chosen to stay away completely.

dotman

WKR
Because 90%+ of nikons revenue is cameras, probably even more, and it would make zero sense in the competitive market of dslr to even open the door to people having their decision swayed on purchasing their camera because of a rifle scope. I bet most Nikon buyers/owners don’t even know they make scopes. Business wise it makes perfect sense as their market isn’t hunters.

I assume Leica doesn’t care, as their cameras are disproportionately priced compared to everything on the planet, and they are not concerned about market share. I can assure you when you walk into the San Francisco Leica store there isn’t a riflescope to be found.

On a side note Sony makes most of nikons sensors, are they anti-hunting as well?

All I am trying to say is Nikon actually makes things for sportsmen, but is punished by you because the main division doesn’t want to invite the scrutiny hunting can bring, and yet there are a dozen other camera and optic companies who are not viewed in a negative manner that have chosen to stay away completely.

I bet at the San Fran Leica store if they don’t carry the rifle scope or bino you can order it through that store if you want, sorry if I’m not cool with Nikon pandering to their camera customers then acting like they are ok with hunting, they don’t even call it hunting, it’s the sporting optics division. Again if people are ok with it, no problem, just putting it out there that the main Nikon company isn’t pro hunting, just a small division of the company is pro sporting optics.

I just personally feel we should support companies that have zero issue with supporting hunting, especially with today’s crazy political climate because where do the profits roll up to in the end?

Great review Matt. I picked up Swaro SLCs a few years ago and they are easily one the best gear purchases I've made. My younger brother is just now starting to take his outdoor pursuits seriously and has a long list of stuff he'd like to buy. I'm constantly pushing high quality 'nocs to the top of his list. The price of admission for Swaro can be tough to justify, but these Nikon's sound like a great recommendation. I look forward to hearing more user reviews.

Too bad Nikon camera is anti hunting, won’t give them a dime. They could make a bino equal to the Swaro EL SV and I’d still buy the Swaro to support a company that is pro hunting. Now if your ok with supporting an anti hunting company sounds like a good option. Just ask Doug from cameralandny if he can sell Nikon rifle scopes and cameras, nope he can’t. Nikons camera division is the main driver of that company. Just putting this out there since this is a hunting forum.

If I’m wrong please correct me.

You couldn't be more wrong, and as a matter of fact the example you used is down right hilarious. Do you think its happenstance that Swarvoski is different the Swarovski Optik? They have a clear division there for a reason to separate hunting and the rest of the company (jewelry etc). Notice they are not on the same website?

Also for the record Nikon calls it "Sport Optics" because they make golf products and other things in the division not just hunting/shooting. You really need to do some more research and become a bit more abreast on what you're talking about.

Now I'm done muddying up a good thread with a bunch of nonsense.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Just ordered mine from Doug at Cameraland...With a $100 manufacturer rebate and his wonderful commitment to Rokslide members it is going to be really tough to beat the value.

Will post a follow-up review after the seasons over.

Thanks again Matt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide you want to give a little mini review before the season is over, I think we'd all be okay with that too! Haha

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Matt,
Like others I am now torn between meopta, maven, and now the HG. I’ve tried maven before and loved everything but the eyecups, they feel large and blocky vs something like Swaro uses. The HG eyecups appear large as well, did you notice any issues there or could you speak to that at all?
Edit: Ive used all the vortex and other company offerings and have owned some SLC as well, with no issue except with maven on the eyecups comfort issue.
Thank you,
Joe

PLO5

WKR
i really want to see these side by side to meopta on a tripod in real world conditions. I am no expert but have looked at a lot of glass and still find it very hard to tell the difference in meostar vs slc's unless on a tripod in low light or cloudy days there seems to be a little advantage to owning the slc. I looked through the nikons side by side with slc and meostar inside cabelas and colors seem brighter and field of view seems wider in nikon but when i went outside store the shadows don't seem to light up as much in the nikons as in the meopta or slc glass. CA was definitely noticeable. IMO the mavens are the clearest hands down but they have a small sweet spot of focus and its hard to keep them in it as you vary distances and the 11 power not as clear or easy to use as the 9 power maven and size and weight puts them in a separate category.
Hope this helps someone

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt,
Like others I am now torn between meopta, maven, and now the HG. I’ve tried maven before and loved everything but the eyecups, they feel large and blocky vs something like Swaro uses. The HG eyecups appear large as well, did you notice any issues there or could you speak to that at all?
Edit: Ive used all the vortex and other company offerings and have owned some SLC as well, with no issue except with maven on the eyecups comfort issue.
Thank you,
Joe

Joe, the eyecups fit me well. They are about the same diameter and have similar to the thickness of a Swarovski EL eyecup.

10200d16dceedcb47e035e0a00b81068.heic

7210f5753b65d66d17f622b79f38f204.heic

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Matt, would love to see a comparison/ranking chart from you with the glass that you've had chance to test out if that's possible. Help us understand how you view items in comparison to each other and give opportunity for people to pick out high value items where quality and price intersect vs highest quality or pure budget buys.

Matt I have the monarch HG in 10x42 and I have really been enjoying them! I was wondering if there is a spotting scope (60-70mm), that falls into the same intersection of value for cost, that would complement it and you could recommend?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, would love to see a comparison/ranking chart from you with the glass that you've had chance to test out if that's possible. Help us understand how you view items in comparison to each other and give opportunity for people to pick out high value items where quality and price intersect vs highest quality or pure budget buys.

I just don’t think that is possible, because I would have to come up with some weighted system of preferences to quantify my opinion. I am just not interested in trying to do that. I hope readers are able to get something out of the comparison-style reviews I do now.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt I have the monarch HG in 10x42 and I have really been enjoying them! I was wondering if there is a spotting scope (60-70mm), that falls into the same intersection of value for cost, that would complement it and you could recommend?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

NY,

The short answer is no, I haven’t found a spotter at the same intersection of value that the Monarch HG and Meostar HD offer.

However, there certainly are excellent spotters that have a lot of value, and the discussion would probably make for a good thread on its own.