Scope stupid

WIWapiti

FNG
I'm looking into a scope to marry to a 300 Win Mag and have just gotten lost. I have looked at a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 and Meopro 4.5-14x50. In regards to Western hunting and shooting both should be fine power wise. I'm not familiar with the CDS turret on the Leupold or the Z plez target turret on the Meopro. I've honestly never had to shoot a deer in Wisconsin past 40 yards with my tinker of a .243 with a duplex. I would love something that obviously gathers as much low light as possible and is easy to get accustomed to shooting at 400-600 yds. Any opinions or other options I should look into for under $1000?

amassi

WKR
Under 1k

Vx5hd 3-15, the turret locks so no inadvertent scope dope. Great glass for the $$

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Unlikely to see any advantage with the 50mm over the 40mm, under 95% of hunting. Unless of course you are planning on hunting wild boars at night or something.

For a 400 - 600 yard poke at a deer size animal, you don't "need" any more X's than a good six power scope, so a 3.5-10 would be lots of magnification. I have zero qualms shooting 12" plates out to 1k with a fixed six or 3.5-10.

The one issue that no one seems to talk about with the higher end magnification scopes, is that people tend to use the top power when shooting at game. And it is really easy to lose sight of your target if it moves when you have taken a shot and you are set up prone. That will really rattle some folks when they want to make a follow up shot and then can't find the critter again in the scope, and makes hitting with the second (or third or fourth) shot a mental problem.

You don't need that much magnification to hit a deer sized animal. It is awfully easy to end up with too many X's in your killin' glass.

Beer cans at 500 are not very difficult with a Leupold 6x42......

tracker12

WKR
Unlikely to see any advantage with the 50mm over the 40mm, under 95% of hunting. Unless of course you are planning on hunting wild boars at night or something.

For a 400 - 600 yard poke at a deer size animal, you don't "need" any more X's than a good six power scope, so a 3.5-10 would be lots of magnification. I have zero qualms shooting 12" plates out to 1k with a fixed six or 3.5-10.

The one issue that no one seems to talk about with the higher end magnification scopes, is that people tend to use the top power when shooting at game. And it is really easy to lose sight of your target if it moves when you have taken a shot and you are set up prone. That will really rattle some folks when they want to make a follow up shot and then can't find the critter again in the scope, and makes hitting with the second (or third or fourth) shot a mental problem.

You don't need that much magnification to hit a deer sized animal. It is awfully easy to end up with too many X's in your killin' glass.

Beer cans at 500 are not very difficult with a Leupold 6x42......

That would be to simple. And you wouldn't have all the knobs to screw thinks up. lol

OP
W

WIWapiti

FNG
That's the insight I was after. I surely wouldn't have thought that was the case even shooting out to 1k. May need less of a scope and more on practice ammo.

A 6x42mm Leupold fixed power scope with the LR reticle set up for your rifle would be simple and effective, plus the fixed power scopes have great glass and optics from Leupold and are tough as nails!

Nothing wrong with the Leupold you mentioned but I would go with the 40mm objective over the 50mm one. I have that scope on a 280 AI I built and love it.

HookUp

WKR
Burris Veracity. Rock solid zero stop and great dialing with ballistic reticle. I love mine.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Further to this..... While I love my slightly older vintage Leupold stuff with M1 elevation turrets, if you want a reasonably priced, tough as nails, easy to use waaaaay out there scope, the Sportsmans Warehouse Super Sniper fixed 6 power is regularly compared against MUCH higher priced glass for repeatability and toughness, if you want to use a turret to dial for distance. Or use it like a set it and forget it glass, and simply use the reticle (in mils, with the mil quad reticle).

Food for thought at any rate.