Trekking pole bino mount?

PennDude

FNG
I'm in the planning stages of my first Western archery elk hunt for 2019. As a Pennsylvania hunter, I have little use for a glassing tripod. I can't justify the cost of purchasing one. I'll be taking my 10x42 binos for glassing. I use trekking poles for hiking and was thinking that I could use a trekking pole to stabilize my binoculars. I just can't figure out how I'd like to mount them. Ideas are welcome.

MattB

WKR
There is a reason that no commercial application exists for mounting binoculars to a single trekking pole.

FreeRange

WKR
I think it's something that could work for what your needs are, but it is something you'll have to make yourself. Google "trekking pole camera mount" for some good ideas and not so good ideas. Just a quick thought, I do love my trekking pole once an animal is down but spend most all day with my bow in hand, I've found using the top riser of my bow in various configurations is a good way to stabilize my binos. It certainly does help with 10x binos. I know I'm not the only one who does this. Lastly, check out the KDC tripod, it's a great lightweight way to avoid having to haul around a full blown tripod.

I'd highly recommend a tripod. Search around this site and you'll see basically everyone recommends a tripod for glassing. No one recommends using a trekking pole and there's a reason for that--too unstable. I can attest that you don't need a fancy tripod to significantly benefit your glassing. This is all assuming you're rifle hunting which is a glassing game. If archery, you'd probably be fine without the tripod because it's usually more calling based with glassing a secondary tool.

I built a tripod using my pair of trekking poles and a monopod. With the mini ball head and Outdoorsman’s tall bino adapter, it weighs 20.9 oz. I’ll post a write up next week when I’ve got time and link it here.

8B345A5B-1CA0-4348-AFEF-4668D93F5CFE.jpg

Last edited:
You can mount nockers on these Mountainsmith trekking poles with an adapter—I do it quite a bit. The padded knob unscrews and there’s a standard threaded stud beneath. It is definitely not as good as a tripod for hardcore glassing, but far more stable and comfortable than free-handing. I have not really hunted big open areas that warranted a tripod, but the trekking pole mount has been nice for me. You can rest it on the ground if the height is adjusted just right, but more often than not, I just hold the lower portion of the pole down low where my arms are more comfortable and steady. More stable than the hat bill trick, for me.

Mountainsmith FXpedition Monopod - Single at REI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same idea to use trekking poles for binoculars stabilization, even buying trekking poles that had handles that would unscrew exposing a 1/4-20 mounting screw. I utilized some sort of adapter that I would screw onto the trekking pole and then accept a stud screwed into my binocular hinge. I found it very unhelpful. Not having a useful head to change the field of view was maddening. Having to constantly adjust the height of the pole, change its point on the ground, or adjust my body was not a pleasant experience.

I now pack a promaster xc525c tripod with an outdoorsmans micro pan head and love it. It is worth every ounce to get the most out of your glassing in my opinion.

Best of luck to you.

matthewmt

WKR
I've gotten by with just running my poles in an x and rest the binos in between (mine have foam below the cork handles so that helps some too).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick thought, I do love my trekking pole once an animal is down but spend most all day with my bow in hand, I've found using the top riser of my bow in various configurations is a good way to stabilize my binos. It certainly does help with 10x binos. I know I'm not the only one who does this. Lastly, check out the KDC tripod, it's a great lightweight way to avoid having to haul around a full blown tripod.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Elkangle

WKR
Depending on budget

You could get a outdoorsmans QR and use a 1/4-20 stud on any set of hiking sticks you want

Or you could drop the coin on a spartan sentinel tripod and use it in all kinds of ways,including a hiking stick you can glass off, which I thought was surprisingly effective. ...be awesome for hunting whitetails out of a blind as well

WKR
How about the KDC granite peak ultralight system. Not that expensive, very lightweight, and perfectly capable of stabilizing 10's.