Swaro' vs. Zeiss vs. Vortex spotting scope review, by Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php
Been working on this one for a few weeks. I put a pile of spotters head-to-head in twilight conditions to see how they stacked up in these categories:

1) Best Overall Performance
2) Best Performance to Weight Ratio (my term)
3) Best Value

I ran the Swarovksi ATS 25-50x80mm vs the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65mm vs Vortex Viper 20-60x85mm vs. the Swarovski CT 30x75mm (the Pirate Scope as Ryan calls it.)

I set everything to 30X.

I'm no optics engineer or even expert, and I'm not saying this was a scientific test, but I do know what my eyes are seeing.

Here is how it settled out.

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Good stuff, I used a Zeiss Dialyt for a sheep season. Good glass, I just could not get used to the eye relief, and I'm just not a straight guy. :) Sure was nice to pack compared to her replacement ATX 95mm.

As with anything, it's what your use for something will be. For the guy who makes a living behind optics, Swaro's are usually the winner. For the guy like me that might use his optics a few hours a day for a few days a year, something like a lower end Swaro, Zeiss, or Vortex is the winner.

This video confirms that.

ElkNut1

WKR
Rob, why would you use the Viper over the Razor in that test? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

nrh6.7

WKR
Robby, I want one of those hats you are wearing. Any chance you have a new one laying around I could buy? Didn't see any in the RS store.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rob, why would you use the Viper over the Razor in that test? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Hi Paul, good question. Two reasons:
1) that’s what Vortex sent me
2) and as said above, there’s a wide spectrum of users on here from casual to over-the-top, and I want to share my observations across a wide spectrum of glass so users can better know what they’re paying for. I love the top tier optics but have found value for some users in mid tier glass.

As the old axiom says, “buy the best you can afford“ and I’m recognizing we can’t all afford the same optics. And for many years I used lower end optics, like Pentax, and did pretty good with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, I want one of those hats you are wearing. Any chance you have a new one laying around I could buy? Didn't see any in the RS store.

I like these hats too but I’ve only got the one on my head. Hoping Tanya gets more in the store. It’s great to have a non camo option—keeps the wife happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk