DSLR Filming Setups

young7.3

WKR
My setup is A6500, Sony 18-105 F4, and Sigma 16mm F1.4, Rode video mic Pro.
Filming a 9 day elk hunt in September. My main questions are...

1. Obviously a shotgun mic is a no brainer. Does anyone worry about individual lav mics on the hunters? If so, how do you sync it up to a DSLR such as a 6500?

2. Is it more efficient to keep multiple camera batteries (10+) and just swap them out or mount a power pack to the camera and power with that?

3. Do you prefer a tripod for filming or monopod? Please explain pros/cons.

Pictures of your setup would be greatly appreciated!

jspradley

WKR
Sony A6XXX suck down those little batteries like a mofo so bring multiple, they are light so 10+ isnt a bad idea. You will want to save your power pack for your phone and an emergency backup.

As for the mic setup and monopod vs tripod... I got nothing.

A tripod is always steadier then a monopod. It also allows you to walk away if you need to without shutting down.. I agree, multiple batteries would be a better bet

sneaky

"DADDY"
You use a program like pluralizer to sync everything up. Get everyone gathered around close and have a keyword you say that can be picked up by all the mics, the program will then sync all the audio after that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My setup is A6500, Sony 18-105 F4, and Sigma 16mm F1.4, Rode video mic Pro.
Filming a 9 day elk hunt in September. My main questions are...

1. Obviously a shotgun mic is a no brainer. Does anyone worry about individual lav mics on the hunters? If so, how do you sync it up to a DSLR such as a 6500?

2. Is it more efficient to keep multiple camera batteries (10+) and just swap them out or mount a power pack to the camera and power with that?

3. Do you prefer a tripod for filming or monopod? Please explain pros/cons.

Pictures of your setup would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome, would be running that 18-105 most of the time for Hunting. That’s my favorite type of lens by far for Archery hunts. For audio I recommend that Rhode Mini shotgun mic with a wind muff on it.. that thing is unreal for quality.
Then if you want to run a wireless also I would get a splitter so you run the wireless on one channel and shotgun on the other channel. That way there’s no syncing that has to be done and you can completely delete on channel in post processing if you need to. Archery hunts are tough especially when running and gunning so I usually go handheld for that but if your setting up and calling a tripod wouldn’t be bad. I’m not a big mono pod person but they do work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Awesome, would be running that 18-105 most of the time for Hunting. That’s my favorite type of lens by far for Archery hunts. For audio I recommend that Rhode Mini shotgun mic with a wind muff on it.. that thing is unreal for quality.
Then if you want to run a wireless also I would get a splitter so you run the wireless on one channel and shotgun on the other channel. That way there’s no syncing that has to be done and you can completely delete on channel in post processing if you need to. Archery hunts are tough especially when running and gunning so I usually go handheld for that but if your setting up and calling a tripod wouldn’t be bad. I’m not a big mono pod person but they do work.

Thanks for your input. My plan was to have the tripod legs extended and strapped together with velcro for a monopod but if i needed a tripod i would simply pull the velcro off and pivot the legs out. Sounds like it would work but we’ll see.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider

Jordan, what do you think about the Manfrotto BeFree Live fluid head with BeFree aluminum tripod kit to get started with filming as well as stills? I would love to grab the outdoorsman pan head and silk tripod setup now, but just can't swing the cash.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, what do you think about the Manfrotto BeFree Live fluid head with BeFree aluminum tripod kit to get started with filming as well as stills? I would love to grab the outdoorsman pan head and silk tripod setup now, but just can't swing the cash.

I think that would be a solid setup! Those heads are really nice.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I think that would be a solid setup! Those heads are really nice.

Sweet. I am building my kit slowly, but making sure I can use it too. One other thing I've been trying to figure out is picture profiles, specifically with the sony alpha series. is there a specific one you like to use with your a7s2? do you go with different profiles for stills vs video?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sweet. I am building my kit slowly, but making sure I can use it too. One other thing I've been trying to figure out is picture profiles, specifically with the sony alpha series. is there a specific one you like to use with your a7s2? do you go with different profiles for stills vs video?

The only picture profiles I mess with are for video and would be PP9 which is SLog. It’s a really washed image out of the camera that you color grade in post production. Really don’t recommend it if you don’t know color correction and grading.. I’ll be guaranteed to be yelled at for that. Haha. Otherwise I don’t mess with much on the front end.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
The only picture profiles I mess with are for video and would be PP9 which is SLog. It’s a really washed image out of the camera that you color grade in post production. Really don’t recommend it if you don’t know color correction and grading.. I’ll be guaranteed to be yelled at for that. Haha. Otherwise I don’t mess with much on the front end.

Sounds good. I will stick with what I know right now.