Novagrade Review--Versatility in Digiscoping, by Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Happy new year everyone! I hope you all read Matt's great review of the Novagrade Phone Adapter. If not, take a minute and check it out. Novagrade Phone Adapter Review

You can visit their site to purchase here. Phone Adapter - Novagrade Digiscoping Adapters

After reading Matt's thoughts on this adapter I was excited to get one myself. It looked like the perfect tool for getting pics and video through my spotter in the field. Robby got me in contact with Doug at Novagrade and we got it ordered up right away. I received the adapter just before Christmas and just like Matt said the adapter was simple to set up for my phone and spotter and it only took me a few minutes. (there is a video on the Novagrade site that explains it perfectly)

Right now I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 sport with a Swaro 20-60x80mm spotter. I'm not nearly as good at digiscoping as Matt is but I was easily able to get some videos and pics of some animals in the field. Matt mentioned in his review that after placing the adapter on the spotter a slight bit of alignment correction may be required and I experienced the same thing but it was very easy to fine tune. The coolest feature of this adapter is it's versatility. It's sure nice when you buy something like this and know that it will work with your next phone(s) or spotter. I'm also impressed with how rugged it seems to be for having so much adjustability.

Here are a couple photos of the adapter in use. I shot a few videos too and will post them as soon as I can.

Phone%20adapter_zpsasbc74rr.jpg

Phone%20adapter1_zpsyffmmbyo.jpg

2-7-17: UPDATE: Robby here. Just published Justin's final review on the system here: Novagrade Phone Adapter Review—Versatility in Digiscoping

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This was my very first try with the Novagrade adapter. All these photos below are unedited and uncropped so you can see the real deal.

This spike and one other were just over 1100 yds away at first light and would not stand still for a photo. You can see that the lighting was tough and I didn't quite have the phone zoomed enough to eliminate the vignette.

20170102_074211_zpsxlcxglw7.jpg

Right after the two spikes walked out of view I spotted this other herd at about the same distance but in a different direction.

20170102_075115_zpsjotazbss.jpg

Next I spotted this doe and one of her twin fawns at about 1430 yds.

20170102_081119_zps0zchvjh5.jpg

These cows were feeding on a steep hillside at just under 1200 yds.

20170102_095404_zps5hibppcj.jpg

20170102_095629_zpsxhxgxjvc.jpg

dotman

WKR
I'm looking forward to trying the adapter for the Olympus TG cameras.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know how you like it dotman. I'll be ordering the universal adapter for my dslr this week hopefully.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I ordered the Camera Adapter - Novagrade Digiscoping Adapters a couple days ago and it showed up yesterday! It was dark when I got home from work and I had to coach my son's basketball team but I did slap it on the camera real quick and take a couple pics inside. I can't wait to get it out in the field. It looks like it will be an awesome way to take photos with my big camera when I'm not using the phone adapter in the backcountry.

dotman

WKR
I'm impressed so far! Haven't had much time with it other then to see that is is a quality built item, simple to get a rock solid mount on the spotter and even though it is not as light weight as my outdoorsmans phone setup it is light and not bulky at all.

I really think I'm going to like this adapter for the Olympus TG series and I think for the small premium over most phone setups it'll be worth it but we'll see after a year of use.

Olympus Point-N-Shoot Adapter - Novagrade Digiscoping Adapters

Haven't tested all the rings they provide but I do think one may work with binos as well.

Last edited:

ridge

WKR
I've had the DSLR adapter for awhile now and you won't be disappointed. It fits tight and solid on the scope. Best one I've used.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a video showing how easy it is to switch phones and/or spotting scopes with this adapter. I like this thing more every time I use it.

[video=youtube;NOKpgkZ0R5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKpgkZ0R5I[/video]

Grumman

WKR
Novagrade Phone Adapter

I was the lucky winner of the Rokslide Novagrade giveaway and wanted to post my experience and thoughts on the product so far. Novagrade got this shipped out to me very quickly after Robbie put me in contact with Doug from Novagrade. Save the FedEx delivery issues (no fault of Novagrade to be clear), it arrived and was well packaged. Upon opening the package I have to admit I was surprised by how solid the adapter was. The machining along with fit and finish are excellent. The threads are well cut and the nut threads on and off very smoothly. If you are a person who cares a lot about fit and finish, you will be well pleased. The kit comes with multiple compression rings/adapters to fit different eyepieces as Justin mentions. Mine did not come with a bag or way to keep these together. I was worried that these would become lost, so looked around and found an old Crimson Trace bag I had laying around that worked perfect to keep these in for safe storage. I don't expect to have to change between these often, but I could see my wife trashing them if she found one not knowing what it was.

View attachment 46272

Right out of the box the unit fit onto the eyepiece of my Vortex Viper 10x42s perfectly. One thing I did notice on the binos was that the weight of the unit with my iPhone 6S in it would rotate the twist out eyecup if I didn't have it mounted perfectly vertical. Screwing the eyecup in and mounting it horizontally worked well if I had the eyecup twisted all the way in. The unit holds my phone extremely well. It also does not obstruct the charging port in any way so you can leave your phone hooked up to a battery pack while in use. I am new to digiscoping, and prior to this I have tried to pull off holding my phone up to the binos. This is light years better!

View attachment 46266View attachment 46267View attachment 46268

I've got a lot of work to do to improve my photography skills, so will just post up a few of the photos I've taken so far. I am still getting used to getting the focus right on my phone and binos for a crisp photo. I can tell this is going to be addictive. I sold my spotter last year, but am already itching to replace it to have more zoom. The photos below were of some whitetail in a soybean field. I ranged them at 720 yards as I took the shots. Several of the bucks were walking around with half racks. Time to go shed hunting! I will definitely get some more time behind the unit throughout the year and will try to post up some better shots and give more feedback on the unit. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask.
View attachment 46269

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Shoot sorry folks pics didn't seem to upload from my laptop. Here they are via the phone/tapatalk hopefully:

dc65b113d1e546bbded71ccb796e2cb5.jpg
0c81cdb43282919014edafa056152f75.jpg
e4a4bc244785f1d0e908a0f74003efa5.jpg
16eab54c1fac3ddf5d86669c3c9a066c.jpg
65e5390f8d66138b9a9714f6f135444a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmw194287

WKR
Curious if anyone has firsthand experience yet with the Novagrade adapter for the Olympus TG series. I'm about to pull the trigger on an adapter, and haven't been able to find any reviews of this particular item--although there seem to be plenty of guys with experience using the Tines Up unit.

dotman

WKR
Curious if anyone has firsthand experience yet with the Novagrade adapter for the Olympus TG series. I'm about to pull the trigger on an adapter, and haven't been able to find any reviews of this particular item--although there seem to be plenty of guys with experience using the Tines Up unit.

I do, fit is perfect and very solid.... you will not be disappointed. Way better then the tinesup, just don't forget to get the Olympus 40.5mm filter adapter.

mmw194287

WKR
I do, fit is perfect and very solid.... you will not be disappointed. Way better then the tinesup, just don't forget to get the Olympus 40.5mm filter adapter.

Thanks Dotman, glad to hear it. Just wanted a bit of reassurance before I committed. The Olympus adapter is on its way and the Novagrade will be shortly! Appreciate the info.

AndyB

WKR
Does anyone know whether the novagrade would fit on a set of slc 8/x42,? I bought the snapshot from swaro but it is too small in diameter for the lens on my sony rx 100. Thanks.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know whether the novagrade would fit on a set of slc 8/x42,? I bought the snapshot from swaro but it is too small in diameter for the lens on my sony rx 100. Thanks.

It should with the bino adaptor rings. I'll check later.