Tripod Head

svivian

WKR
I just got the benro s2 for my promaster 525xc and so far it's really smooth. My only complaint is the size. The head is large and the handle seems huge especially when I mount my binos. We will see after shed season if I keep it or upgrade.

BigDog00

WKR
I have the vanguard ph-111 and I've had some problems with the vertical adjustment sticking. I think some dirt got in it. Once it releases it works great. I got the bench s2 for christmas and ended up sending it back because of the weight and size of it. It was very smooth but I decided to stick with the vanguard. I would love to try the outdoorsman but the price is holding me back. I get frustrated with the ph-111 but not so much to take out a second mortgage for the micro pan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

WKR
After using a tripod with panhead for about 25 years it finally broke. I bought a new Vanguard tripod with a ball head. It feels very solid and is quite smooth. The thing I don't like about it is that when you are focused on a distant animal and you loosen the ball to adjust the view the scope tends to want to tilt to one side or the other sometime taking your sight picture off the animal. So now I prefer the panhead myself.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Jordan, any complaints with the Benro S2? I need a fluid head for my binos / spotter.

Outdoorsman seems like they sure have a great racket going. I cant figure out why their fluid head costs 300 and change.

Little update on the heads.. I now have an Outdoorsmans pan head to be reviewed for the site. Will be making some general comparisons against the Benro s2 and also how it handles for self filming with a smaller camera. I'd wanted one for quite a while but because of the filming, never could pull the trigger on one as there was no reviews of how it handled with one handed operation. Is there anything else in particular you would like to see on the head or comparison between the two? I'll also be digiscoping off of it with a couple different set ups.

R_burg

WKR
Little update on the heads.. I now have an Outdoorsmans pan head to be reviewed for the site. Will be making some general comparisons against the Benro s2 and also how it handles for self filming with a smaller camera. I'd wanted one for quite a while but because of the filming, never could pull the trigger on one as there was no reviews of how it handled with one handed operation. Is there anything else in particular you would like to see on the head or comparison between the two? I'll also be digiscoping off of it with a couple different set ups.

No, I am sure you will be handling everything.. Binos, spotter, digiscoping are my uses. I guess I'd appreciate if the review isnt too heavy-handed on the fit and finish, I'm mostly concerned with functionality. Everyone knows you are paying 4x for the Outdoorsman, obviously the fit and finish is nicer.

Looking forward to it!

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a manfrotto befree live video head and I like it a lot so far. It was a demo that I ended up getting for $60 and after taking it apart and cleaning it out it works great. I've only got about 8 hours using nockers and 3-4 with a 65mm spotter so far but I have zero complaints. Its lightweight at 13 or 14 oz too.

While I would really like an outdoorsmans I can't justify the price difference, I would guess the difference between the two is like the vortex razor vs swarovision glass. I guess I'm just a simple ole vortex kinda guy as the razors are good enough for me

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a manfrotto befree live video head and I like it a lot so far. It was a demo that I ended up getting for $60 and after taking it apart and cleaning it out it works great. I've only got about 8 hours using nockers and 3-4 with a 65mm spotter so far but I have zero complaints. Its lightweight at 13 or 14 oz too.

While I would really like an outdoorsmans I can't justify the price difference, I would guess the difference between the two is like the vortex razor vs swarovision glass. I guess I'm just a simple ole vortex kinda guy as the razors are good enough for me
Where did you find it for that price. I've been thinking about buying one of these and $40 off would be enough motivation to pull the trigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you find it for that price. I've been thinking about buying one of these and $40 off would be enough motivation to pull the trigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I bought a demo tripod + head off of adorama or one of those sites for $130 and sold the tripod for $70. I probably could of got more since it sold within a few hours of listing but I'm still happy with the price.

I do wish it used the qd plates like on the 128rc, but at the same time I like how it gives you 1.5 inches or so to slide the plate back & forth to balance your scope before locking it down. Plus I can leave it on top of my slik 624 in my pack and the tripods case.

In short, I'm really happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk