Tripod Head

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Which tripod head do you like for a spotter and general photography needs in the backcountry?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I swap between a Promaster ball head and a Benro S2 fluid head. I like the ball head for Photography, but a fluid head is better for the spotter. Depends if you like that handle or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me a call at 516-217-1000 and, as always, we will do the right thing for you. Selection and pricing. Mention Rokslide

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

R_burg

WKR
I swap between a Promaster ball head and a Benro S2 fluid head. I like the ball head for Photography, but a fluid head is better for the spotter. Depends if you like that handle or not.

Hey Jordan, any complaints with the Benro S2? I need a fluid head for my binos / spotter.

Outdoorsman seems like they sure have a great racket going. I cant figure out why their fluid head costs 300 and change.

OP
W

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the S2, there's no way the Outdoorsman can be worth almost four times the price.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Jordan, any complaints with the Benro S2? I need a fluid head for my binos / spotter.

Outdoorsman seems like they sure have a great racket going. I cant figure out why their fluid head costs 300 and change.

No complaints as of yet. Actually trying to get an outdoorsmans pan head to compare this year.

dotman

WKR

It's kind of like swaro, it just doesn't make sense until you own it. Find another rock solid head at these weights not made in China with zero plastic parts.

7.55oz

11.20oz

R_burg

WKR
It's kind of like swaro, it just doesn't make sense until you own it. Find another rock solid head at these weights not made in China with zero plastic parts.

With all due respect, I dont pay a premium for the country of manufacture, only quality.

I have multiple tripods and tripod heads for photography... And I'm local, so I've seen their heads and tripods in person. The tripod heads are nice, but they are too expensive IMO.

dotman

WKR
With all due respect, I dont pay a premium for the country of manufacture, only quality.

I have multiple tripods and tripod heads for photography... And I'm local, so I've seen their heads and tripods in person. The tripod heads are nice, but they are too expensive IMO.

Well good thing then as the quality is there and lack of weight. It's not for everyone that is for sure. How much time using them do you have and what didn't you like when you compared it after an extended period to what you usually use?

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
No complaints as of yet. Actually trying to get an outdoorsmans pan head to compare this year.

Good to hear. Im also considering the Sirui and the Vanguard models that are all metal.

dotman

WKR
Good to hear. Im also considering the Sirui and the Vanguard models that are all metal.

The Vanguard I had (ph-111) sucked! So go into it with an open mind, mine would always drift off center and it was twice the weight of the micro.

R_burg

WKR
Well good thing then as the quality is there. It's not for everyone that is for sure. How much time using them do you have and what didn't you like when you compare it after an extended period to what you usually use?

Obviously I don't, as I said I think they are overpriced after going to check them out in person. I think you are paying 150-200 bucks for ~8 oz versus the other metal options.

I'm not criticizing you at all. That money and weight savings is better used other places for me.

dotman

WKR
Obviously I don't, as I said I think they are overpriced after going to check them out in person. I think you are paying 150-200 bucks for ~8 oz versus the other metal options.

I'm not criticizing you at all. That money and weight savings is better used other places for me.

Oh I know you aren't, I get what your saying but I bet you would feel different after using for a period of time. I've heard good things about the benro s2.

R_burg

WKR
The Vanguard I had (ph-111) sucked! So go into it with an open mind, mine would always drift off center and it was twice the weight of the micro.
I will, I appreciate your feedback. The PH-113 is a different design... But still, I think the Sirui VA series will get my money.

OP
W

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider

If I'm not mistaken the S2 is also ~ 8oz.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread. I'm currently looking around and in the market for a tripod head and the benro S2 tops the list primarily because I've read great things about it and it's reasonably priced. I also haven't read anything at all bad about the outdoorsmans stuff and I LOVE that it's American made, BUT, I simply cannot drop that kind of coin at this point in my life. For me, personally, I feel like I'm better served to put that money into my glass and take the weight penalty. Or to take that money and put it towards another tag.