Power zoom

Jimss

WKR
I was wondering if anyone has any power zoom setups they are impressed with? I've considered a digiscope with IPhone but the quality seems to be lacking. I would mostly be using it for filming game from a distance. I have a small camcorder that is great for scouting but would like something similar to zoom in for taking pics. I'd like to keep it under $400....not sure if that is possible but there are several Canons and Nikons that look pretty good.

I am currently using a Canon SX60 HS with a 65x optical. I have used all of the Canon high zoom models since the the S3 (S5, SX30, SX40, & SX50). It takes pretty decent pictures and 1080P x 60fps video and longer distances. However, if you have a good spotter and a recent smart phone - you can do better. I currently have a Swarovski ATS 65 HD, a PhoneSkope adapter, and iPhone 7 Plus (was iPhone 6 Plus last year). These will actually out-do the SX60 HS in clarity and sharpness in equivalent light. My buddy has a Nikon CoolPix P900 with an 83X optical that works pretty good, as well.

Here are several shots taken last year from 3/4 of a mile away (~1,300 yards)...

photo1 = Canon SX60 HS canonsx60.jpg
photo2 = iPhone 6 Plus through Swarovski ATS 65 HD iphone6plus.jpg
photo3 = Nikon CoolPix P900 nikonp900.jpg

I'll post some more shortly.

Updated direct links to photos...

Last edited:
OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Rainforest, thanks for your heads up on the Canons. Canon SX60 is actually one of them I was seriouosly considering. I have an old SX10 that has really done well but only has 25x. I couldn't get your photos to work but sounds like the ones taken with the Swaro and IPhone are better. I have a Leica scope that ought to be pretty good. I imagine a digiscope or PhoneSkope adapter ought to be a bit cheaper than a SX70. I would be interested in seeing how your pics compare!

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
The Nikon almost looks like the clearest? Was there a tripod on all of them when the photos were taken? Thanks again!

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Nice subjects and scenery! I have the same tripod...and love it! I've always loved panos. Before IPhone I was always putting pano photos together on photoshop. Does your SX60 take decent 1080 videos?

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
If you only had one available to take on a trip for videos/photos which one would you grab?

nitro27

FNG
Hey there, another option could be the Panasonic fz300. I have on and absolutely love it. Doesn't quite have the zoom of othe bridge cameras. It is a 24x which translates to 25-600mm of a 35mm equivalent. You csn also get a tele lens for it which is a 1.7x, would take it to 1020mm. It does shoot 4k video and shoots f2.8 through the whole zoom range which makes it great for hunting. Especially when your in the forest. I love mine and can post some pics if you want??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk