Advise-Lens for Sony A6000 for Sheep Hunt

GPATTI

WKR
Guys,
I have the Sony A6000 and standard 16-50mm that it comes with, but was considering options for good landscape images for a sheep hunt in NWT in July. i REALLY want to get some decent images i can use for a website. Would I be ok with this lens, or should I consider a wide angle lens? NOTE - I do not want to spend a lot of money (already did that for the hunt), and I am NOT a photographer.

I will be doing some digiscoping too.

Thanks!!

dotman

WKR
Also the Samyang is the exact same lens rebranded and seems to sell for a little better price.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your just going to take one, I would stick with the 16-50. That 16 even on an apsc is plenty wide for landscapes imo, plus if you want wider just take shots to merge for a panorama. Then you'll have the ability to have a longer lens if needed, which I really like especially for trophy shots.

FreeRange

WKR
If you're looking for the best quality and the best budget options prime lenses are going to be the way to accomplish that. The tradeoff will be weight, bulk (from having to tote extra lenses) and ease of use, the last one being the biggest issue most people have. If anything pick up a 3rd party wide angle fast prime lens. The Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN reviews pretty favorably especially for the price point of $200.

The kit lens just can't perform as well as a fast prime lens. For a second lens the kit lens or a "normal" lens in the ~30-35mm range is a good one. And then of course a tele if you got the bucks.

Sigma also makes a 19-50mm 2.8 and that thing will blow the kit lens away and it's only $400. I've never given that one much thought, but on paper it looks pretty good for a single lens on this type of hunt. Much heavier than the 19mm prime though.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sigma also makes a 19-50mm 2.8 and that thing will blow the kit lens away and it's only $400. I've never given that one much thought, but on paper it looks pretty good for a single lens on this type of hunt. Much heavier than the 19mm prime though.

X2 on this. You can definitely get better zoom lenses than the kit lens. But IMO if your only going to take one lens, I would rather it be a zoom than a prime.

X2 on this. You can definitely get better zoom lenses than the kit lens. But IMO if your only going to take one lens, I would rather it be a zoom than a prime.

Absolutely. If your taking only one lens then don't take a wide angle prime as the only one, it's an addition to the 16-50 not a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for the best quality and the best budget options prime lenses are going to be the way to accomplish that. The tradeoff will be weight, bulk (from having to tote extra lenses) and ease of use, the last one being the biggest issue most people have. If anything pick up a 3rd party wide angle fast prime lens. The Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN reviews pretty favorably especially for the price point of $200.

The kit lens just can't perform as well as a fast prime lens. For a second lens the kit lens or a "normal" lens in the ~30-35mm range is a good one. And then of course a tele if you got the bucks.

You've never given it thought because it's an a-mount lens, so you need an adapter. I think the la ea3 adapter is like 150 now. I've never looked at anything not from sigmas art line, so I couldn't say the quality.

colonel00

WKR
Something not mentioned but that Rokinon/Samyang/Bower/whatever name lens will probably produce some killer nightscape/astrophotography too. But, that's another lens to carry and on a sheep hunt, I'd imagine you want to stay minimal. I have a similar version of that lens which is a 14mm f2.8 (the one mentioned here is not available in my mount for a Pentax) and I love it but I don't carry it with me as I'd rather carry something with a zoom capability that's much more useful even though the resulting image quality may not be as good. It's all about compromise.

One other thing to consider is lighting. If you have good light, the kit lens might do just fine for daytime landscapes. Sure, it's contrast, sharpness, color rendition and other factors may not be as good as other lenses but it will do the job for images posted on a web page.

I have a whole backpack of crap I carry when I go out to take photos but I try to keep it more simple on a hunt. Typically this is two lenses that cover everything from 16mm-300mm.

FreeRange

WKR
You've never given it thought because it's an a-mount lens, so you need an adapter. I think the la ea3 adapter is like 150 now. I've never looked at anything not from sigmas art line, so I couldn't say the quality.

Great point, thought I was browsing the sony e mount lenses but must not have been, makes sense now that I'd never noticed it before. Probably not worth going with an adapter, disregard that recommendation.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have an A6000 and I just purchased a sony 28mm prime lens. So far it has been great. I used it on vacation and it was perfect as a do it all lens. It is a full frame lens, but it will work on the A6000. I bought it over the 35mm because I plan to upgrade to an A7 later on. I also use a sony 50mm prime, but it can get a little tight using it as a do it all lens.