Post up your Camera Gear

colonel00

WKR
There's quite a few threads now and again about camera gear and what people use. I figured a thread were people can show their kit and what they typically use in different situations would be nice.

I'll try to expand on my thread as I have a little time but I wanted to start this thread while I was thinking about it.

Many years ago I was in Alaska with a decent point and shoot camera and my buddy had just gotten an intro Nikon DSLR kit. While I liked the convenience of a P&S, after I had a chance to play with his camera and saw what I could get out of it, I was hooked. Then started the long process of deciding between Canon and Nikon (Sony wasn't really a player then). So after a lot of research, I landed on Pentax. It's not the brand for everyone as there are a lot of great options out there. The biggest thing to remember is once you are into a system, it's very hard to switch to another (but not impossible).

Anyway, during the researching process, I came across this video. I knew that I'd be putting the camera through some rough conditions and even at entry level bodies and lenses, you could get dust and water resistance.

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube

I currently run the Pentax K-3 II body and typically carry the 18-135 along with the 55-300 lenses on hunts. With two lenses I can cover a big range and both lenses are Weather Resistant and fairly light. Just the other day I've upgraded to a 16-85. My other "go to" kit is really just a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 for landscapes/nightscapes/astrophotography and a 300mm WR prime that is money for wildlife, but heavy. I've also got a 1.4x teleconverter that is WR for some extra reach.

...I'll expand this thread a little more as I have time and can take photos

Let's see what you all are using and what you like to use in different situations. What do you find you like when packing in versus your favorite gear when just out taking photos.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
You already know what I run =) I can't wait to get some great shots this year. Ive been so damn busy with work. Wife and I planned a trip out to St John this year in May. so I plan to come back with 20-30 gigs of Photos of the Island and Sunsets. =)

Pentax Ks2 with 18-135 Lens 50-200 Lens and about 4 other Lenses of yours =)

rbljack

WKR
This is another area that I want to get a bit more familiar with this year. I haven't really taken the time to get great pics....just the quick snapshots from time to time. Upgrading this year, and started with the IPHONE 7 plus. I also will be getting the phoneskope for it in the near future to go with my Vortex Razor 65mm spotter. Next purchase will probably be that sony RX100 series camera, or maybe even a DSLR if I decide to be real stupid and carry MORE weight...LOL

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
This is another area that I want to get a bit more familiar with this year. I haven't really taken the time to get great pics....just the quick snapshots from time to time. Upgrading this year, and started with the IPHONE 7 plus. I also will be getting the phoneskope for it in the near future to go with my Vortex Razor 65mm spotter. Next purchase will probably be that sony RX100 series camera, or maybe even a DSLR if I decide to be real stupid and carry MORE weight...LOL

Perhaps a topic for a different thread but it's all about what you want to get out of it. A phone or a P&S can give you pretty good photos that you can share and post and they will be just fine. If you want to print you stuff out on larger formats or have the ability to crop (zoom) the images and still have good detail, a "better" camera and lens system might be in your future. I think I'll start another thread to address this...

R_burg

WKR
Nikon D700 with grip and a bunch of accessories.

Nikon 24-70 2.8 (For Sale if anyone wants one)
Nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 D
Nikon 85 1.8 G
Nikon 300 4 D

Havent been buying much camera equipment lately because I havent been shooting. When I find time to shoot again on my list are: Nikon 180 2.8, a 1.4x TC, and a WA lens. Havent decided what WA lens as of yet.

Last edited:

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I am a Canon guy, for no particular reason at all, lol. I have a couple different setups, depending on what I'm doing. If I'm out for serious photography, or if I'm the designated cameraman on somebody else's hunt, I bring the big guns:
Canon 1D Mark 4
Canon 16-35 F4 Version 2
Canon 24-105 F4 Version 1
Canon 70-200 F2.8 Version 2
Canon 50 F1.8 Version 2
Benro Carbon Fiber Tripod
Various filters, circular polarizer, ND's for the most part.
Phone with triggertrap app for timelapses, remote triggering

If I'm out hunting myself, the kit is much smaller and lighter:
Canon SL-1
Canon 50 F1.8 Version 2 or Canon 40 F2.8 STM
Canon 55-250 F3.5-5.6 STM
No filters or tripod usually.

I haven't been shooting much lately, as other hobbies have taken precedence. If I hadn't blown all my money on a new bow, I would probably have bought the Canon 100-400 and a 1.4 TC.

troutdreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I always have my iPhone 6s so that tends to be what I end up using the most.

After hunting by myself and having some disappointment with not getting good after the hunt photos, my wife bought me a point and shoot adventure camera for Christmas a few years ago. Nikon AW110. It's a nice small waterproof camera. It doesn't shoot raw but is 16 MP and video in 1080p. It's always in my pack with a small bendable plastic tripod.

I also have a D5000. It's an older DSLR that shoots 12.3 MP. I started getting into photography as an off season hobby within the last year. I decided to get an older inexpensive body and see if I liked it before I invested more money. I did end up enjoying it so I added the 35mm prime and the 600mm telephoto. If I keep it up I will end up getting a newer body.

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX Prime
Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S f/4-5.6G ED
Nikon 18-55mm VR
Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 VR & IS, USM & SWM
Tripod Sirui T-005X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Brad forgot to tell you I recently picked up a Yi 4k Action Cam also. This thing is so much easier to use they dub it the Gopro killer. Im really happy with it and plan to do some great stuff with it this year. Interface is so much easier to use and the screen is built into it. Also half the price of the Gopro 5.

If anyone's found the "perfect" way to carry a DSLR on their backpack and still have quick access to it, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Not sure I'm quite ready to bump up from my little point and shoot.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone's found the "perfect" way to carry a DSLR on their backpack and still have quick access to it, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Not sure I'm quite ready to bump up from my little point and shoot.

Check out Kinesis gear. I've used their stuff to lug around a Nikon DSLR with a 200-400 F4 lens. Perfect...no, but worked for me.

I just picked up a Nikon D500 body to use with an assortment of glass I have.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Peak Design Capture camera clip works great

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I've been running an Olympus EPL2 for about 5 or 6 years now. It was a great little camera back when I first bought it, but it's very outdated nowadays. I recently purchased one of the new Olympus OMD EM1 MkII's and I pick it up in about a week. I'm very excited. These mirrorless cameras are fantastic.

I have 3 lenses.
14-150mm.
17mm.
50-200mm - this one is a regular Olympus 4/3 lens, as opposed to a micro 4/3. I have an adapter to put it on my camera, and also a 2x converter. I don't use this a lot because it makes the lens too slow.

I also have a Gopro hero3 silver.

All very simple, but it gets the job done. It's a bit of a pain to carry around sometimes but it's always worth it when you get back from a hunt and have great photos to look over and edit.

Anyone else super keen on the new mirrorless stuff?

I've been running an Olympus EPL2 for about 5 or 6 years now. It was a great little camera back when I first bought it, but it's very outdated nowadays. I recently purchased one of the new Olympus OMD EM1 MkII's and I pick it up in about a week. I'm very excited. These mirrorless cameras are fantastic.

I have 3 lenses.
14-150mm.
17mm.
50-200mm - this one is a regular Olympus 4/3 lens, as opposed to a micro 4/3. I have an adapter to put it on my camera, and also a 2x converter. I don't use this a lot because it makes the lens too slow.

I also have a Gopro hero3 silver.

All very simple, but it gets the job done. It's a bit of a pain to carry around sometimes but it's always worth it when you get back from a hunt and have great photos to look over and edit.

Anyone else super keen on the new mirrorless stuff?

I too am very interested in the M4/3 options. The em1 II is a dream of mine, but it's just not in the budget for this year. I'm ordering an em5 II and will be taking it everywhere. Sure the image quality of aps-c and full frame are going to generally be better, but I'm not interested in carrying a huge camera around, especially as mostly a solo hunter. I figure if Tim Burnett can produce one of the most popular western hunting shows with a gh4 and some gopros, an average joe like me can do ok with a similar setup.

Once it gets here, I'll have:
Olympus em5 mark II
Oly 12-100 f4 pro
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Panasonic 100-300
Rode Video micro

Wants: em1 mark II, Panasonic 100-400, and all of the Olympus pro lenses... A man can dream.

I too am very interested in the M4/3 options. The em1 II is a dream of mine, but it's just not in the budget for this year. I'm ordering an em5 II and will be taking it everywhere. Sure the image quality of aps-c and full frame are going to generally be better, but I'm not interested in carrying a huge camera around, especially as mostly a solo hunter. I figure if Tim Burnett can produce one of the most popular western hunting shows with a gh4 and some gopros, an average joe like me can do ok with a similar setup.

Once it gets here, I'll have:
Olympus em5 mark II
Oly 12-100 f4 pro
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Panasonic 100-300
Rode Video micro

Wants: em1 mark II, Panasonic 100-400, and all of the Olympus pro lenses... A man can dream.

My dad has a couple of the M4/3 pro lenses. They're incredible. He has also ordered a 12-40mm pro lens. I'd love one of them, but not in my budget for this year, either. One day...

I think the 12-40mm would be great for taking trophy pictures, as well as big landscapes. You could set the aperture super fast and throw the background out of focus nicely. I can do similar stuff with my 50-200mm but that's a heck of a lot of lens to carry around.

My dad has a couple of the M4/3 pro lenses. They're incredible. He has also ordered a 12-40mm pro lens. I'd love one of them, but not in my budget for this year, either. One day...

I think the 12-40mm would be great for taking trophy pictures, as well as big landscapes. You could set the aperture super fast and throw the background out of focus nicely. I can do similar stuff with my 50-200mm but that's a heck of a lot of lens to carry around.

I'm just starting out and at first I wanted to go with the 12-40 and 40-150 pros, but I couldn't afford them and settled on the 12-100 as a great all-arounder and the 100-300 for the critters I can't quite sneak up on.

The 12-40 is still on the list for future purchases, but I'm going to hold off on the 40-150. I'm not sure if I'll "need" anything else, but gear acquisition syndrome will try to convince me otherwise.

Last edited:

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Canon 70D for crazy cheap. I've got a Canon 50mm f1.2L, Canon 70-200mm f2.8L, Rokinon 14mm f2.8, and a Canon 24-70 f2.8L. I've really been thinking about picking up a Tamron 150-600 just not sure if I want to haul that thing around very often, but it'd be nice to really reach out there. I also use two of the GoPro Hero 5's. Huge improvement over previous models IMO. For audio I've got two of the Zoom H1's with lavalier mics and a Rode NTG3 on the camera. I haven't put most of this through the ringer yet, but I've got some hunts this spring and summer I plan on putting it all through the ringer.

I'm waiting to see the Panasonic Lumix GH5...supposedly gonna be the shit. We shall see I guess.