Filming a hunt with a drone

I simply do not see it as a practical tool to film a hunt with, unless you wanted a panoramic view.

I too find it unethical to use them to be used in the actual act of hunting and there are laws against that. I suspect that people would simply want to use them for b-roll. Shots of a flyover while walking on a ridge or crossing a river. Here's some examples of what I am talking about (there are 4 or 5 drone shots in this short video):

*REVERT*-2017 KUIU Film Festival amateur short entry - YouTube

The shot at the very end is kind of cool and could only be accomplished with a drone. Now who knows, all of those could've been done a week or two before the season as well. This would be the ideal solution, but for those coming from out of state not always possible.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't dare put anything in the air, drone or manned plane, during an open season. Legal or not, just not a neighborly thing to do. Perception is reality to most people and most won't approve of it.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have plans to fly a drone this summer to get footage for my film... I am also one for being allowed to use a drone PRIOR to season to help scout terrain. They could be helpful to find water, benches, wallows, and so on. I think that using technology is cool at times and offers up things that are neat to me personally. Our public lands are for everyone not just hunters... I personally have seen drones while I was hunting. I even got a picture of one once... I wasn't bothered by it and it was gone almost as fast as it appeared. I hear planes and helicopters all the time while hunting. I don't believe that animals are bothered by them as well as I also believe that a drone flying above the trees is going to bother them either. That being said I still believe that during season there should be limitation to their use. For instance that if you fly you are ground from hunting for 24 hours... There will always be those people who don't follow the rules or push the limits on things which ruin it for the rest. So if you use a drone i suggest you be courteous and respectful and always follow the law. If you don't know don't assume. Get the facts.

snopro176

WKR
I too find it unethical to use them to be used in the actual act of hunting and there are laws against that. I suspect that people would simply want to use them for b-roll. Shots of a flyover while walking on a ridge or crossing a river. Here's some examples of what I am talking about (there are 4 or 5 drone shots in this short video):

*REVERT*-2017 KUIU Film Festival amateur short entry - YouTube

The shot at the very end is kind of cool and could only be accomplished with a drone. Now who knows, all of those could've been done a week or two before the season as well. This would be the ideal solution, but for those coming from out of state not always possible.
This is my film actually. All but one shot was done either before or after season. All just places near my cabin I went to get some scenic shots for my film. The end shot was during a later bear hunt but I wasn't actually "hunting", just ran up the road to get the shot real quick. The idea of scouting with a drone is dumb, as in it wouldn't work if you wanted it to. They're loud and totally noticable in the air. I'd rather walk up on an animal and spook it rather than spooking them from a quarter mile away. I'm glad that it's unlawful to use them to hunt but even if it wasn't, I think guys would quickly learn that it doesn't work. Wide angle cameras like that make 30 yards look like 90. Now as for scenic shots, I think they can add a lot to a film.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
As I understand it, it is illegal and I believe a federal offense to shoot drones.

Just read an article on yahoo knews about a woman who pointed a firearm at one looking into her kitchen window. Article also said that it was a federal offense to shoot a drone. I wonder if shooting/lighting fireworks at it would be illegal too? (probably for it is considered an aircraft)

Back to OP I would just give the DNR a call and see what they say about it to be 100% safe. BEST to send an email that way you receive an EMAIL from them so you can fall back on it if needed.

A drone would be really handy for finding an expired animal in a big chunk of CRP or tall grass.
instead of trying to grid it off and walk 15 ft apart...run the drone over the field and find your buck

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
For those of you who enjoyed the edit, it made the top 6 in the amateur short category if you'd care to vote, takes just a few seconds!
2017 Amateur Short Voting – KUIU FilmFest 2017

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Snopro your video was perfect great work man. Beautlful family you have also. Remind me of my daughter whos now 18 and in College. Miss those years.

atcflick

FNG
You need to pass a aeronautical test to be able to get your certificate to operate a drone for commercial uses. So anytime money is handed over, doesn't matter if you are not getting any of the cash. For instance if it's in a film tour or something like that. That drone also needs to be registered as stated before. Someone mentioned earlier that you can't fly drones near airports. That's not 100% true. You just have to go through the proper steps to get clearance into those areas ( class B,C, or D airspace). So hopefully this helps a little.

That's not 100% true. You just have to go through the proper steps to get clearance into those areas ( class B,C, or D airspace). So hopefully this helps a little.

Yes, although you need some FAA waivers to operate beyond line of sight as well. But I think most hobby drone makers like DJI are now making anywhere even close to an airport no-fly so your drone won't even take off. Same goes for popular tourist areas (like the grand canyon) and secure areas (like the white house).

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree with Snopro176,

I've experimented with drones for cool B-roll shots on float trips. 95% of the footage is useless and time consuming at best. Flight time and field stay keeps that drone on short purposeful flights to save battery life. That's eye shot and back, power off.

Future drones will be less intrusive and extended flight times with high end camera capacities. But we're not there yet at the consumer level.

I've decided drones don't make sense unless droning is your full time job.