Filming a hunt with a drone

I will be heading to CO this fall for an archery elk hunt. My friend will be coming with for the sole purpose of recording and photographing the hunt and scenery. His was wondering if he could use his drone for scenery shots, shots of camp, shots of us hiking and so on. I have absolutely no intent or desire to use the drone to aid in hunting . Is using a drone for the functions legal? If not how do other videos accomplish this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A drone over head would ruin my experience hope you guys are in a different unit. Not sure if it's legal but it shouldn't be

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The regs only state
It shall be unlawful to use a drone to look for, scout, or detect wildlife as an aid in the hunting or taking of wildlife

However, you are just inviting complaints and a visit from the warden if you aren't careful and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. The way I read that reg, if there is a single animal on video if they inspect your camera you are guilty; so he would have to constrain his filming to scenic shots and b-roll. Also, there are wildlife harassment concerns and also bugging other hunters, campers or hikers. Unless you plan on going 8 miles+ this is the primary concern and you will have a lot of unhappy neighbors if you aren't careful.

Also, per the USFS:
Drones are considered to be "mechanized” equipment and cannot take off and land in designated Wilderness Areas

IMO all of the above are too big a hassle to bring it into the back-country, but I wouldn't be afraid to bring it out here and maybe get some b-roll just off the highway where there is less of an issue with bugging other people due to all the other noise.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the drone is registered.. that's number one. Even if it's for personal use. The way I read it, as long as you don't use it in aiding in the harvest, you'll be able to get those shots for CO. We do it here in WY for the show but we also have to get film permits for National Forrest because we are commercial. And, as long as it isn't for commercial use, you won't have to get a film permit either. But I am not 100% about Colorado rules and regs for it.... I would call them and double check.

Tsnider

WKR
your bound to get someone pissed off at you and calling that in, potentially ruining your hunt along with someone elses

it would be cool, but i think that might be a private land ordeal.

daron

FNG
I would love to use the drone to film the scenery as well but not to spy the animals. It is very important to register the drone first to avoid legal implications.

elkguide

WKR
Illegal back here to have anything like that in your possession while hunting.

When guiding in the wilderness in Wyoming, I watched the Fish Cops take the axles and valve stems from a kid's mountain bike and make him walk the 20 miles back out because nothing mechanical was allowed in the wilderness. For what that's worth.

colonel00

WKR
If I see a drone while hunting it will be shot out of the sky.

Agreed. If the DOW could figure out the legal issues behind it they could probably make a pretty penny selling drone permits as a gag

As I understand it, it is illegal and I believe a federal offense to shoot drones. If you feel you are entitled to break the law and shoot at a drone that is being used legally then feel free but that sure puts an ironic spin on this whole topic doesn't it? I don't understand why people get so worked up over drones but whatever.

To the OP, there are a lot of restrictions on where you fly so make sure you check everywhere. National parks are off limits and I seem to recall that there are even restrictions in national forests. Also check out this website:
Know Before You Fly

I've had a DJI Mavic Pro for a few months now. It folds up to the size of a Nalgene bottle and weighs under 2 pounds. Overall I'm very impressed with the drone and what it can do. That said, I don't know that I'd take it hunting but I might as long as it was legal. We have a caribou hunt this fall and I might take it to film us as we raft down some rivers

tuffcity

WKR
Illegal in BC as well. A drone in hunting camp will get you a ticket.

RC

Illegal in BC as well. A drone in hunting camp will get you a ticket.

RC

Yeah, the BC regs are pretty black and white; no ambiguity there. "It's illegal to use a helicopter, including a drone, while on a hunting expedition." Colorado regs are far less concrete.

Gr8bawana

WKR
As I understand it, it is illegal and I believe a federal offense to shoot drones. If you feel you are entitled to break the law and shoot at a drone that is being used legally then feel free but that sure puts an ironic spin on this whole topic doesn't it? I don't understand why people get so worked up over drones but whatever.

It's also illegal to fly drones near airports but idiots do it all the time.

dotman

WKR
Just think if we all had to suffer from extreme measures because of idiots, I would say firing a weapon in the air at a drone is very idiotic since you have no clue where your bullet will impact.

Now the smart thing to do would be turn it in and be on your way.

topher89

WKR
For most people, hunting is about getting away from, not closer to technology. I personally would be ticked to see a drone buzzing around while hunting

For most people, hunting is about getting away from, not closer to technology. I personally would be ticked to see a drone buzzing around while hunting

Agree, but I think the problem is exaggerated as last I looked the average battery life was like 6 minutes; so if someone did choose to use one it would be quite sparingly. Probably just long enough to do a flyover shot on a trail or river crossing and it would probably take less time than a real plane crossing overhead which happens all the time.

dotman

WKR
It would bug me if someone was using it to form a game plan for a stalk or hunt and if it jacked my stalk up, but on the flip side if someone was just out playing with one how can I be angry that they are using public lands for their hobby. We tend to act like hunters own public lands during hunting but many people still use the land during hunting season for recreation.

I have seen Brads and truthfully it's freakin cool, can travel a mile away in mins and climb 400ft. I bet he could go a few miles easy from a road and get some cool footage and be back in less then 6mins.

Agree, but I think the problem is exaggerated as last I looked the average battery life was like 6 minutes; so if someone did choose to use one it would be quite sparingly. Probably just long enough to do a flyover shot on a trail or river crossing and it would probably take less time than a real plane crossing overhead which happens all the time.

I have a DJI Phantom 3 professional, 20 minute flight time per battery with over a mile line of sight range. I have never considered using it while hunting, to film the hunt or anything else. I have however had friends that have wanted to use it for hunting. From my limited experience with my drone, you would need a telephoto lens. Otherwise the volume of air these things move, along with the noise would simply spook most game with the distance you would need to maintain to get a good picture. I simply do not see it as a practical tool to film a hunt with, unless you wanted a panoramic view. I am with the others that seem to believe that the use of a drone to find and stalk game, is unethical, despite me believing it would have limited use without a telephoto lens or thermal camera.