Battery Management in the Backcountry - GoPro and Nikon

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

I am going on my first real backcountry hunt this year and have a strong interest in bringing a camera.

I have a Nikon digital (can't remember which model) with a Fixed 18mm, standard 20-60 telephoto, and a 35mm fixed wide-angle lenses. I have a grand total of two batteries.

I also have a GoPro and 4 batteries. Frankly, I'd almost prefer to take the GoPro because it weighs less and takes up way less space, but you can't see/review your footage.

Battery life is pretty short on both while taking video so...

I think it's obvious I need more batteries? But how about charging in the backcountry? How do you manage battery life when your out for a few weeks on end?

Also, if you had to choose between the two which would you bring in your pack?

Tsnider

WKR
if i had to choose id bring the digital camera. i have gotten some cook photos with my gopro but no real cool video personally. people hike up to high elevations where i hunt to get cool shots that i see every night im hunting. ill end up bringing both and making my buddy carry the gopro since its easy to use and hes not a big time photo or video guy.

as far as batteries, there are the backup batteries. the best one out right now is the Dark Energy (only saying that based on reviews).
ill end up taking 2 batteries for my Sony, and 2 for the gopro. on top of that ill carry a small cheap backup battery and the Suntactics solar 5. ill charge the small battery every day and it will get done what i need it to get done.

idcuda

WKR
I have a Nikon 5200 and run two batteries. I've been on a 5-day backpacking trip and those two batteries were plenty. I wasn't hunting at the time, so I was using the camera a lot. If I were you, I'd take them both. I really like using the gopro for selfies and other wide angle shots, like vistas and canyons. One trick for getting good gopro pics is to make sure you don't use it like a standard camera (try different angles, close-up, etc.).

For charging, you could use one of those portable chargers (like Anker) and get a few refills on your batteries, or try solar like tsnider said.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's what I do for the show... get a USB charger on amazon for your camera batteries. They usually come as a double charger and they're usually cheap and knock off made but it's the only option I've found that really works and is light. Then get a couple dark energy Poseidon chargers. For 5 days you'll be fine charging 2 batteries. I hook my chargers to a solar panel to keep them charged for longer hunts. One important thing to note is nothing charges very well straight from the panel. So go panel to charger to your device.. it'll be faster and more reliable. Those dark energy chargers are really unbelievable.. very happy with them. Then just bring a USB 2.0 chord for your GoPro. If you don't mind spending a little more cash I'd get a couple extra go pro batteries to carry. Those things drive me to drink with their battery life. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruskin

WKR
Depending on how long, you may consider buying extra batteries. I bought 4 camera batteries and just swap them in.

worx53

WKR
On the GOPRO thing.... consider buying a new action camera off AMAZON like the Sodoco 4K with small remote for several reasons-
1. you can buy camera with 2 batteries, 4 extra batts & chargers, accs. kit with piles of attachments,plus 32gb scandisk for under $120
2. get one with the remote that allows you to snap a pic or start the video camera with a button on your wrist or bow etc.
3. it has a 2" screen on back so you can see if its on, what its pointing at, and what mode its in at a glance.
4. you can review pics & video on the creen in 2 seconds with the push of a button

I attach to my pack strap hiking, hunting, snowmobiling and don't use my old gopro at all anymore because I never knew what it was doing.

grfox92

WKR
On the GOPRO thing.... consider buying a new action camera off AMAZON like the Sodoco 4K with small remote for several reasons-
1. you can buy camera with 2 batteries, 4 extra batts & chargers, accs. kit with piles of attachments,plus 32gb scandisk for under $120
2. get one with the remote that allows you to snap a pic or start the video camera with a button on your wrist or bow etc.
3. it has a 2" screen on back so you can see if its on, what its pointing at, and what mode its in at a glance.
4. you can review pics & video on the creen in 2 seconds with the push of a button

I attach to my pack strap hiking, hunting, snowmobiling and don't use my old gopro at all anymore because I never knew what it was doing.
I don't see any camera for sale with the name Sodoco on amazon. I am in the market for an action cam and was looking at the SJCAM, could you clarify the brand you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

worx53

WKR
I don't see any camera for sale with the name Sodoco on amazon. I am in the market for an action cam and was looking at the SJCAM, could you clarify the brand you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
0a82b304d79f559b6dc44d45d8bbe225.jpg

Try this...I just ordered another this week

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I too am looking for a "lightweight" battery solution.
I found this on Amazon: MAXOAK 50000mAh 6 Port(5/12/20v) Portable Charger
Its not waterproof and its a bit heavier, but it seems to have plenty of power for all my needs.
I'll be in Alaska for 10 days on a hunt this fall and it seems like this might fit the bill.
This particular model won't charge my Mac but thats a non issue.
It seems to have great reviews, anyone here have any experience with it?